Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Signs That You Must Get Your Tonsils Removed?

I've recently posted about my scare with strep throat. I'm sure I had it, I had all the signs, but before letting the strep really set in and cause me pain I started taking medicine.
    My boyfriends mom is an herbalist and she gave me some awesome medicine that will clear strep throat quickly. I've been taking it and within two days I was feeling better. Yesterday was my first good day that I had felt really well. I drove to see my mother and did some shopping, got a bite to eat. Well I've been on solids (food we're talking) basically through my whole sickness. At the beginning I was eating broths, and soups, but as soon as my appetite came back and my throat didn't hurt, I ate solids.
    Yesterday I had a cheeseburger from burger king, half way through it felt like something was caught on my tonsil. It was burning real bad and to swallow it also had pain. I figured well it's probably a combination of "Mayo, ketchup, pickle, onion, lettuce, and beef." It quit hurting after a few minutes and I continued to shop.
    After getting home really late we had dinner and my mom laid out Sloppy Jo's for us to eat. I started with mine and all that I added was mustard. First couple of bites were easy, no pain. Two minutes later and I get the same pain as when I ate my burger. The thing is, it's only my left tonsil, and it's only the tonsil. It's not my throat, it's just the tonsil itself that gets a burning feeling, and almost like there is something behind it. I drank my water and this pain soon on went away. I don't know if this is just my tonsil, or I'm still getting over strep?

I'm scared to death and I don't want my tonsils taken out, so my question is:

1. How do you know when you must get your tonsils taken out?

2. Is it avoidable once whatever happens that clarifies your tonsils need to be removed?

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    Did you ever get antibiotics?

I think you should do that as it seems the herbal medicine wasn't enough for you this time.

You could just have a cut in your tonsil that's causing the pain. Tonsilitis can appear to be like strep throat. You have a sore throat, coughing, difficulty swallowing, sometimes fever and white lumps on your tonsils. If you still have a severe sore throat I would go to a doctor. Often times, tonsilitis doesn't require the removal of tonsils. Instead, depending on the type of tonsilitis, they give you antibacterial medication, or if viral, the virus could depart within a week or two. Only if the bacterial spreads or the virus doesn't depart does it require the removal of your tonsils. Either way, I would go to a doctor if you really want to know.
    "What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality."

"Happiness is only real when shared"

"Happiness is something you have to make for yourself"

"This world can be ugly, but isn't it beautiful"

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cognitive_Canine View Post
    Did you ever get antibiotics?

I think you should do that as it seems the herbal medicine wasn't enough for you this time.
    She gave me herbal fishbiotics, which is amoxicillian, and I've been taking self made capsules of oregano oil. Both burns the bacteria and gets rid of it. Seems to be working my fever is gone, and my throat doesn't hurt anymore, I feel great. It's just every now and then I get a terrible feeling in my left tonsil.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepMe View Post
    She gave me herbal fishbiotics, which is amoxicillian, and I've been taking self made capsules of oregano oil. Both burns the bacteria and gets rid of it. Seems to be working my fever is gone, and my throat doesn't hurt anymore, I feel great. It's just every now and then I get a terrible feeling in my left tonsil.
    Did you get tested for strep throat and confirmed that that was for sure what it was?

The reason I suggest a doctor is because antibiotics need to be taken completely. So, you need to take the complete correct dosage. Typically that's 10 days worth of medicine. Or else it has the possibility of coming back resistant.

I had mine out at a very young age due to chronic strep throat.

If this is something that keeps re-occuring for you, you should probably see a traditional medical doctor and discuss having them removed.

The surgery is MUCH better now than it was when I had mine out as a child. They use more advanced methods, like laser, which speeds up the recovery and healing considerably. Most people feel back to themselves within a few days.

Carly, don't be sad
    Life is crazy, life is mad
    Don't be afraid
    Carly, don't be sad
    That's your destiny, the only chance
    Take it, take it in your hands

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Please see the forum rules for posting on enotalone:http://www.enotalone.com/forum/forum-rules.php

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJEDrew7 View Post
    You could just have a cut in your tonsil that's causing the pain. Tonsilitis can appear to be like strep throat. You have a sore throat, coughing, difficulty swallowing, sometimes fever and white lumps on your tonsils. If you still have a severe sore throat I would go to a doctor. Often times, tonsilitis doesn't require the removal of tonsils. Instead, depending on the type of tonsilitis, they give you antibacterial medication, or if viral, the virus could depart within a week or two. Only if the bacterial spreads or the virus doesn't depart does it require the removal of your tonsils. Either way, I would go to a doctor if you really want to know.

I will go to the doctor when necessary, right now I'm going through school and currently do not have a job. I lost my medical insurance years ago when I hit the adult standard rate that I must carry my own medical insurance. I'm really in a pickle when it comes to health insurance plans. First, I can't sign myself up for medicaid, or a sliding graph program, because I don't have a job and the income is based on the owner of the house. My dad makes too much money for me to qualify those, but he makes just barely past the limit. We can't afford 600 dollars a month for my personal medical insurance. Lately I've been having to go to the emergency room whenever something falls out of place on me. I recently got over a sickness two weeks ago that left me with a $5,500 medical bill.
    So right now my boyfriends mom is going her route and helping me out. All seems to be working so far, except this left tonsil. I guess I don't know "for sure" if I had strep I never got a swab, but I get strep once a year and it seemed like strep to me.
    Through my sickness which was only four days I never seen and white lumps on my tonsils, or any redness, or bumps, or anything like that. But I didn't let it get bad enough like it normally does so none of those signs showed up.

I know I'll have to go to the doctor to really know, I was just wondering what the signs are for getting your tonsils removed. If it gets bad I'll go to the emergency room. Thanks for the advice.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cognitive_Canine View Post
    Did you get tested for strep throat and confirmed that that was for sure what it was?

The reason I suggest a doctor is because antibiotics need to be taken completely. So, you need to take the complete correct dosage. Typically that's 10 days worth of medicine. Or else it has the possibility of coming back resistant.
    That's what I'm taking right now, the medicine I have is suppose to be taken three times a day. I take twelve pills a day which is two fishbiotic, and two oregano oils three times a day. And I take them for ten days to prevent rheumatic fever.
    My boyfriends mom did this method to each of her six children, her daughters all seemed to get it really bad. It's worked for each of them, but I've only been taking the medicine two days now. I would go to the doctor but it's so expensive, but if I absolutely must, I will definitely go.

If I were you, Id be going to the dr to get a culture done on your tonsil. If you are taking antibiotics unnecessarily, you are only doing more harm then good to yourself.

I had the same problem as you before. White spots on my left tonsil, painful to swallow. Felt like something was stuck etc. It wasnt strep throat. It was just tonsilitis, which is a virus and cannot be treated with antibiotics.

Gargle with salt water and take advil or tylenol for the pain.

Stop with the antibiotics......they arent good for you unless there is a bacteria present.

Okay, just making sure. No offense to your boyfriend's mother. I do not know much about the practice of herbology and often times 'natural cures' make me a skeptic.

My sister has swollen tonsils quite often. However, she has never had them out. They are really your choice to get out unless they are becoming hazardous to your health. I know the surgery isn't that bad though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...