Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My girlfriend is a sociopath.

My girlfriend was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 5 years ago but has recently been told that it was a mis-diagnosis and that she is a sociopath.

At first, with her being bipolar, I could handle it. The mood swings, the lack of empathy or guilt... "It'll go away."
    And it always does.
    But now that I find that she is a sociopath and that it can never change... I don't know what to do.

I will never leave her. I never could.

But it kills me.
    I HATE being in those situations. I just can't wait to go to sleep until it's gone. But now all I think about is that it will never stop. It will happen tomorrow and the next day...
    My girlfriend will always be a sociopath and I will always be her "willing victim" as they put it.

Talking to her doesn't help.
    The whole "lack of empathy" thing... That "no guilt" thing...
    She, sincerely, does not think that there is anything wrong.

She doesn't care about how miserable I am.

Sociopaths cannot love someone.
    But I know she loves me.
    But I also know that she would say that... To reel me in.

All she does is tell me to grow up. She tells me that I am being sensitive. That I am overly dramatic.

I don't expect anyone knows how it feels unless they have been in love with a sociopath.
    I don't think "my ex was crazy" covers it.
    I can handle crazy.
    I can't handle mental terrorist.

-Tiffany.

You are contradicting yourself.
    "sociopaths cannot love someone"
    yet she loves you?

I don't know. You can leave her, I think you need to focus on yourself. You sound really needy. WHy won't you 'ever leave' her? I am not saying shes a bad person because she has a mental illness but... I dont think you can put up with a sociopath for very long.
    You'll only go crazier.

And I was friends with a sociopath/manic depressive/narcissistic girl for about 5 years.
    I know what it is like...

That is a huge diagnosis, has she gotten second opinions?
    But, in my honest opinion, there is nothing you can do... I would leave :\

Whatever the diagnosis..someone who lacks empathy and compassion is a lost cause as far as any kind of meaningful interactions with anyone because they just view people as a means to an end...their own self-gratification. They are leeches. If you don't get out now you will end up being bled dry.

Platinum Member
    Love is not a good enough reason to stay in an unhealthy situation. Knowing what you know and choosing to stay is choosing to put yourself in harms way. It's not healthy and you will be the one who loses in the equation.

My opinion is that you are your own worst enemy and if you hadn't found her you would have found someone else who would do your dirty work (i.e. emotionally terrorize you). In my best Forrest Gump voice, "Crazy is as crazy does." It's not wrong to be the way you are, but do yourself a favor and take responsibility for your choices because, as we all know, it takes two to tango.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waveseer View Post
    My opinion is that you are your own worst enemy and if you hadn't found her you would have found someone else who would do your dirty work (i.e. emotionally terrorize you). In my best Forrest Gump voice, "Crazy is as crazy does." It's not wrong to be the way you are, but do yourself a favor and take responsibility for your choices because, as we all know, it takes two to tango.

You said it better than I could

I would also ask for a second opinion, because that is a very serious diagnosis, and if she is not willing to see the faults of her wrong doings (because we all make mistakes) and get professional help, then I would be out of there quick.

You also need to see someone to help with the issues that this relationship has impacted on your personality. I hope it works out for you either way

Quote Originally Posted by tbradley View Post
    My girlfriend was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 5 years ago but has recently been told that it was a mis-diagnosis and that she is a sociopath.
    I might be of the point here, but I'm interested on how did she react on that diagnosis? Did she just come and told it out, or?

Never say never...
    "When you start rationalizing and accepting a cheater's behaviour/excuses, you start playing a game of how low can you go." ~ Lavenderdove ~

Either way, whatever diagnosis she is a (B-word) to you.

Why the fear of dumping her?
    Do you think it will be REAL hard for you to find another woman?
    Possibly because you are a woman as well and it's hard to find another woman with the same sex gender preference?

There is no reason to love who you have, if who you have hurts you.

You just have to realize it's far beyond logical to do so.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the World will know peace -Sri Chinmoy Ghose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...