How long do rebounds typically last?

JohJoh525

So, this could be a previous thread, but I'm not sure:

Can anyone share how long their exes rebound relationships lasted?

My story is posted in a few places, but I think it's a Grass is Greener type thing. My partner of 10 years left out of the blue exactly one month ago, started a new relationship the next day, already planning on getting an apartment with the new guy in a few weeks, etc. It's all so crazy and fast.

Most everyone feels like this relationship will fail (except me, of course) and that our history will pull us back together, and I'm trying to move on and stay positive about reconciling at the same time. Most of my friends are giving it 3 to 6 months.

Any stories to share? Good or bad?

I had a rebound that lasted two years! LOL Maybe that can't even be considered a rebound. I dunno! I suspect everyone's answer will be a tad different because people are all different.

But the rebound didn't pull me back to my ex, even though even after 2 years that is what he wanted. So don't spend your energy waiting for something that may not happen. Don't miss the act of living in the meantime. Sounds like you won't. Stick to it.

So, this could be a previous thread, but I'm not sure:

Can anyone share how long their exes rebound relationships lasted?

My story is posted in a few places, but I think it's a Grass is Greener type thing. My partner of 10 years left out of the blue exactly one month ago, started a new relationship the next day, already planning on getting an apartment with the new guy in a few weeks, etc. It's all so crazy and fast.

Most everyone feels like this relationship will fail (except me, of course) and that our history will pull us back together, and I'm trying to move on and stay positive about reconciling at the same time. Most of my friends are giving it 3 to 6 months.

can't speak of my own experience...but i have two very close friends who rebounded VERY soon after serious relationships ended...and they've been together going on 10+ years.

think it's different for everyone. but that makes sense...right?

My two exes had short ones, but I never, ever considered myself destined to get back with them. I moved on to meet someone who was so much better for me. If you hope to get a re-run, please reconsider.

Just my opinion, but when a relationship is over, it's better to try again with someone new. You deserve a fresh start.

Yeah, I know people are all totally different. It is just hard to fathom the end of a 10-year relationship where there didn't seem to be any major problems at all (except for the fact that he walked out!!!)

I just keep hearing more and more stories about the new guy, and they're all about how he has a very "social" reputation and is truly attention starved. Most of the people who know my ex and also the new guy think that this is a huge infatuation because they are currently working together, and that it could end; however, I cannot guarantee that, of course.

I have spent the last month dwelling and being negative about it all... "Oh, he's not coming back. He doesn't care. He doesn't love me"; however, I think I have to be positive for myself. Supposedly, my ex is going around telling everyone how he cares about me and how I'm his best friend, etc. I've actually had very limited contact with him. I only answer his texts if they are about shared finances. Being positive about the situation is helping me a bit. True, I am telling myself, "He could come back. He cares. Etc. Etc. but like I said, I am not counting on it. Expecting the worst but hoping for the best. Being positive about this has also given me a bit of a recharge or boost, and it's making me a little happier as each day goes by. Maybe it's a bit of denial or maybe I'm moving on a bit. Who knows? Do I want to reconcile. Yes, of course, I'd like to think I would, given that we spent 10 years together and lived together 7 years. If ever given the opportunity, I'd have to see how I feel about it at that point... however close to or far from now that time may (or may not) be.

Most people are saying 3-6 months. In addition, everyone thinks that their new relationship is a recipe for disaster. Too fast, too impulsive, they're both attention starved, the new guy has a reputation, etc. He texts me a lot, but I usually don't respond-unless about shared finances. Tonight, he came to see the show I was in, and he wanted to go out for coffee or drinks after (because his new boyfriend is at work), and I told him I had previously made plans. After that, another guy from the show left with me... and before I even got home, I got a text from my ex saying he enjoyed the show, and that it was really great to see me. I want to believe he misses something, so when everything crashes... Here's to hoping!

Good news: It'll most likely fall apart somewhere down the line.

Bad news (at least for you): It isn't a good idea to wait for it. You two are done for the time being. Move on with your life and don't wait for someone who left you for someone else for whatever reasons. 3 billion women out there, there's no need to focus on one.

• 1 year later...

3 of my exs rebounded and got married. as far as I know 2 are still married, on ex was married about 15 years then divorced, the other two have been married 18 and 13 years. So like everyone has said don't wait around it could be 3 months or 18 years and that doesn't include the fact that if it didn't last chances are not in your favor they will come back to you.

My last Ex from about 6 years ago is currently married to the "rebound."

But now I'm pretty certain that I inadvertently helped their relationship. For the first few months she would come crying to me about various things, and she was clearly feeling very guilty. And while I was thinking that "being there for her" was going to rekindle the relationship, it actually helped ease her guilt so she could move on. Finally her new relationship got strong enough to where he could be her shoulder to cry on, so she cut me off. It was horrible.

However, the story has a happy ending! About six months after the break-up I realized that I was actually much better off without her, and I'm actually HAPPY that she dumped me. Like I said, she ended up marrying the new guy, but I doubt they are happy. I had lunch with them a few years ago, and he seemed like a huge doormat. I remember her and I used to fight a lot because she was like a bulldozer, she always felt she had to get her way. The new guy seemed to let her walk all over him, he seemed very emasculated. ...oh, and she also gained A TON of weight after we broke up.

• 1 year later...

With my experience, my ex is married to his rebound. They had known each other for years and got together immediately following our break up (does this constitute a "rebound?"). They have been together for 1.5 years now, but he constantly tells me about the problems they have. We are in very frequent communication since we have a child together (I found out I was pregnant 4 months after the break up ).

sounds similar to my situation. I was with her for almost 5 years and we didn't break up but after she kept telling me she was having anxiety when we talked I started NC. 2 weeks later I found out that she married a guy that works with her mom that is 15 years older than her. she had her kids call and tell me that she got married. I haven't had contact with her until this week when I asked her to take care of a loan I signed for her the week before all this started. now she asks like I should just trust her to pay it instead of having to get it taken care of. I know I have to move on but i'm still just trying to understand what happened...

Archived