Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long do rebounds typically last?

So, this could be a previous thread, but I'm not sure:

Can anyone share how long their exes rebound relationships lasted?

My story is posted in a few places, but I think it's a Grass is Greener type thing. My partner of 10 years left out of the blue exactly one month ago, started a new relationship the next day, already planning on getting an apartment with the new guy in a few weeks, etc. It's all so crazy and fast.

Most everyone feels like this relationship will fail (except me, of course) and that our history will pull us back together, and I'm trying to move on and stay positive about reconciling at the same time. Most of my friends are giving it 3 to 6 months.

Any stories to share? Good or bad?

I had a rebound that lasted two years! LOL Maybe that can't even be considered a rebound. I dunno! I suspect everyone's answer will be a tad different because people are all different.

But the rebound didn't pull me back to my ex, even though even after 2 years that is what he wanted. So don't spend your energy waiting for something that may not happen. Don't miss the act of living in the meantime. Sounds like you won't. Stick to it.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohJoh525 View Post
    So, this could be a previous thread, but I'm not sure:

Can anyone share how long their exes rebound relationships lasted?

My story is posted in a few places, but I think it's a Grass is Greener type thing. My partner of 10 years left out of the blue exactly one month ago, started a new relationship the next day, already planning on getting an apartment with the new guy in a few weeks, etc. It's all so crazy and fast.

Most everyone feels like this relationship will fail (except me, of course) and that our history will pull us back together, and I'm trying to move on and stay positive about reconciling at the same time. Most of my friends are giving it 3 to 6 months.

Any stories to share? Good or bad?
    can't speak of my own experience...but i have two very close friends who rebounded VERY soon after serious relationships ended...and they've been together going on 10+ years.

think it's different for everyone. but that makes sense...right?
    Rest in natural great peace
    This exhausted mind
    Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thought,
    Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
    In the infinite ocean of samsara.

"Think not of the faults of others, of what they have done or not done.
    Think rather of your own faults, of the things you have done or not done."

My longest relationship was a year.
    For me rebounds last about a month or two.
    Sometimes they turn into more tho.
    My last ex of 6 month was a rebound from a year long relationship.
    So... :P
    Live Your Dreams. Be the Change.

My two exes had short ones, but I never, ever considered myself destined to get back with them. I moved on to meet someone who was so much better for me. If you hope to get a re-run, please reconsider.

Just my opinion, but when a relationship is over, it's better to try again with someone new. You deserve a fresh start.

Yeah, I know people are all totally different. It is just hard to fathom the end of a 10-year relationship where there didn't seem to be any major problems at all (except for the fact that he walked out!!!)

I just keep hearing more and more stories about the new guy, and they're all about how he has a very "social" reputation and is truly attention starved. Most of the people who know my ex and also the new guy think that this is a huge infatuation because they are currently working together, and that it could end; however, I cannot guarantee that, of course.

I have spent the last month dwelling and being negative about it all... "Oh, he's not coming back. He doesn't care. He doesn't love me"; however, I think I have to be positive for myself. Supposedly, my ex is going around telling everyone how he cares about me and how I'm his best friend, etc. I've actually had very limited contact with him. I only answer his texts if they are about shared finances. Being positive about the situation is helping me a bit. True, I am telling myself, "He could come back. He cares. Etc. Etc. but like I said, I am not counting on it. Expecting the worst but hoping for the best. Being positive about this has also given me a bit of a recharge or boost, and it's making me a little happier as each day goes by. Maybe it's a bit of denial or maybe I'm moving on a bit. Who knows? Do I want to reconcile. Yes, of course, I'd like to think I would, given that we spent 10 years together and lived together 7 years. If ever given the opportunity, I'd have to see how I feel about it at that point... however close to or far from now that time may (or may not) be.

For most people rebounds usually last about 2-3 months. More often than not once the three month mark has passed, people either end up missing either their ex, are over them or just don't find the rebound interesting enough to continue seeing them.
    “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” Gandhi

“When I was little I wanted to read people's minds. Then I got social media and now I'm over it.”

my ex's rebound lasted 3 months; we got back together after he broke up with her.
    "One lie, one broken promise, or a single neglected responsibility may be a misunderstanding. Two may involve a serious mistake. But three lies says you're dealing with a liar. Do not give your money, work, secrets, or affection to a three-timer. Your valuable gifts will be wasted."

Dr. Martha Stout, PhD Author: The Sociopath Next Door

Most people are saying 3-6 months. In addition, everyone thinks that their new relationship is a recipe for disaster. Too fast, too impulsive, they're both attention starved, the new guy has a reputation, etc. He texts me a lot, but I usually don't respond-unless about shared finances. Tonight, he came to see the show I was in, and he wanted to go out for coffee or drinks after (because his new boyfriend is at work), and I told him I had previously made plans. After that, another guy from the show left with me... and before I even got home, I got a text from my ex saying he enjoyed the show, and that it was really great to see me. I want to believe he misses something, so when everything crashes... Here's to hoping!
    Last edited by JohJoh525; 02-19-2010 at 11:21 PM.

I think it varies from situation to situation, depends on the break up,,,etc......

LiL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...