Are some women more fertile than others?

hers

It doesn't just have to do with the number of eggs. There's the quality of the uterine environment as well, and a whole bunch of other parts that can affect the outcome. Fertility is a pretty complicated thing. For instance - a list of all the reasons one can be infertile, which means all those things must be working in order to be fertile:

link removed

But yes, definitely varies.

As you, of course, know, it's not really something that can be determined just from having unprotected sex and not getting pregnant. I'd be careful, if I were you!

Oh sophie, don't worry, I am. I don't want children but I also don't want to use abortion as birth control. I just mean over the years when I've been in relationships, I haven't used condoms but have been on just the pill. Right now I have implanon and we don't use condoms. But there's always that chance of course.

Oh sophie, don't worry, I am. I don't want children but I also don't want to use abortion as birth control. I just mean over the years when I've been in relationships, I haven't used condoms but have been on just the pill. Right now I have implanon and we don't use condoms. But there's always that chance of course.

I was just kidding - I figured. Hope I didn't start a whole series of comments about being careful, sorry. There was a woman at one of my jobs who had gotten pregnant three times while on BC - apparently her doctor told her she was twice as fertile as a normal woman and it just didn't really work for her. I had a little panic after she told me that, but it seems it works for me just fine!

I do wonder sometimes - what if I'm infertile and stress about pregnancy for all theses years for nothing (and then probably also stress about getting pregnant)? It would be rather ironic.

I agree with the fact that some women are more fertile than others. I've heard numerous women who has tried to get pregnant, to no avail and yet there were others that didn't want to get pregnant and wound up doing so.

I think it's also the sperm count, and the ovulation time period that makes a difference.

I ask the question b/c I was talking to a friend of mine at work who said he has two kids out of a result of tripled birth control: he said in both instances, she was on the pill, they used condoms, and they used spermacide. Two kids!! Yet I've never even had a scare really. It's weird.

I ask the question b/c I was talking to a friend of mine at work who said he has two kids out of a result of tripled birth control: he said in both instances, she was on the pill, they used condoms, and they used spermacide. Two kids!! Yet I've never even had a scare really. It's weird.

That sucks ! I would be so upset if that happened to me!

Reminds me of that sex and the city where Charlotte is trying to get pregnant and can't, and Miranda gets pregnant with Steve's one testicle and her "lazy ovary".

My doctor told me that fertility issues seem to be increased amongst white women for some reason. He stated that minority women tend to have less issues conceiving. I asked him if he knew why that was and he said that research was still being conducted on it. Amongst each group of women there are of course variations.

Yet I've never even had a scare really. It's weird.

Same here. And, really, I should have...several times.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in my late 20's. Doc broke the "sad news" of my likely infertility all somber and stuff and I just laughed and thanked him. I never wanted kids anyway. If someone really needed to be infertile, it was me.

Been married 7.5 years and ceased using birth control a long time ago. My gyno nags me at my annual, but between my age and my history....if I was gonna turn up pregnant, it would've already happened. I'm fairly certain the only way it's gonna happen now is if I get an angelic visitation and 3 wise asses from the lower east side bring presents....or something like that.

Same here. And, really, I should have...several times.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in my late 20's. Doc broke the "sad news" of my likely infertility all somber and stuff and I just laughed and thanked him. I never wanted kids anyway. If someone really needed to be infertile, it was me.

Been married 7.5 years and ceased using birth control a long time ago. My gyno nags me at my annual, but between my age and my history....if I was gonna turn up pregnant, it would've already happened. I'm fairly certain the only way it's gonna happen now is if I get an angelic visitation and 3 wise asses from the lower east side bring presents....or something like that.

Omg. You are amazing.

Hm, so it's an egg thing? Interesting. I thought we all had the same number haha.

I wonder sometimes about myself. I've had unprotected sex for years with minimal BC at times and never so much as missed a period.

I thought you absolutely did not want to be a mother? Seems like risky behavior if that's the case, doesn't it?

I thought you absolutely did not want to be a mother? Seems like risky behavior if that's the case, doesn't it?

I don't. This was before I got my implanon. I was always on the pill but never followed it to a t. In retrospect, it was very foolish. The bc I use now is much more effective.

I would think that there are significant numbers of women who don't know because they only try to conceive with one partner and unless he is tested who knows what the reason is for the infertility? A friend of mine was with her ex husband for over 15 years, used condoms only (and often withdrawal plus condom), never got pregnant then got pregnant after her divorce by accident with her boyfriend of one year.

I thought for sure I had issues because although I had been strict with birth control there were times I wasn't because my then bf and I were willing to take some chances - nothing. It took me about a year at age 41 to get pregnant and maybe faster since we were long distance and not always together at the same time. I'm the first one in my immediate family not to have fertility issues. I never got tested and neither did he.

Eggs are only one aspect of fertility.

As someone who is currently pregnant, even though I was on the BC patch so it's not as if I forgot to take a pill, at 35, supposedly an age where fertility drastically declines, with a man who's 37, where he's at the age where fertility also drastically declines, who the hell knows how this could have happened!

And yet, as a younger person, I never got pregnant before, using BC. I've become kind of fatalistic about pregnancy. It's going to happen to you or not.

Sometimes I wonder, as has been mentioned, if it's also the woman's partner or some sort of compatibility issue. I've known women who could never get pregnant with one man (who later had a child with someone else) and get pregnant right away with another.

My mother got pregnant twice while taking the pill and then pregnant with me with an IUD! My dad got a vasectomy after that!

Archived