My dog smells like dirty socks!

greensleeves

I have a 13 year old female Jack Russell. She's in good health, but lately I've noticed that she really stinks! Even if I bath her, less than a day later she smells again and the only thing I can compare it to is old, stinky socks. It's making my bed and pillows smell as well...any idea what could be causing this or how to prevent it?

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My dog has always smelled like a used sweatsock, since she has been a puppy.

The sweatsock smell seems especially strong when she has been sleeping, so maybe try keeping your dog awake?

Just kidding! Be glad you have a dog.

That's just dogs. They always have that "bag of corn chips" smell to them. Damn, they're some charming beasts.

Exactly....Fritos Corn Chips!!! I've noticed it slightly on her and on other dogs I've had in the past when they're due for a bath, but this is reallystrong and comes up even when she's really clean. I've never had a dog this elderly, so maybe it just becomes more pronounced as they get older. She's been putting on some weight and having a bit more trouble getting around than she used to, so I wonder if it's what doggie sweat/BO smells like. I just hope it isn't a sign that there's something wrong with her.

I second what avman said, check her teeth, ears, and also sometimes when older dogs start to have adrenal problems (cushing's or addison's disease) or a thyroid problem (typically dogs get hypothyroid), they start to have the stinky old sock smell. It's worth a trip to the vet for a blood test.

Good luck!

Her breath isn't great, but it's a different bad smell. I keep her teeth clean, give her dentibones and she's going for a scaling when she has her regular checkup in June,. I've checked her ears and the smell isn't coming from them either. She did get very badly sprayed by a skunk this summer and then sprayed again a second time, so maybe that affected the pores of her skin or something. For a few months after she was sprayed, if I bathed her or if she got wet, the skunky smell would come up again.

I second what avman said, check her teeth, ears, and also sometimes when older dogs start to have adrenal problems (cushing's or addison's disease) or a thyroid problem (typically dogs get hypothyroid), they start to have the stinky old sock smell. It's worth a trip to the vet for a blood test.

Good luck!

That's what I was worried about...I'd better take her to the vet prior to her regular yearly appointment.

Exactly....Fritos Corn Chips!!! I've noticed it slightly on her and on other dogs I've had in the past when they're due for a bath, but this is reallystrong and comes up even when she's really clean. I've never had a dog this elderly, so maybe it just becomes more pronounced as they get older. She's been putting on some weight and having a bit more trouble getting around than she used to, so I wonder if it's what doggie sweat/BO smells like. I just hope it isn't a sign that there's something wrong with her.

My guess would be it just comes with age. But if you're really worried, couldn't hurt to get her checked out. I would surmise that she's fine, though.

Archived