Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My dog smells like dirty socks!

I have a 13 year old female Jack Russell. She's in good health, but lately I've noticed that she really stinks! Even if I bath her, less than a day later she smells again and the only thing I can compare it to is old, stinky socks. It's making my bed and pillows smell as well...any idea what could be causing this or how to prevent it?
    Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
    Dalai Lama

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
    Wayne Dyer

Sorry, I have no sage advice...but your post gave me a smile. Your dog is pretty old so it could just be the natural aging process.

Platinum Member
    That's just dogs. They always have that "bag of corn chips" smell to them. Damn, they're some charming beasts.

No advice here either but my golden retriever smells like socks too, and she's 11
    JenSocietyOfSloreMaking!

Is this some kind of a joke, will someone wake me up soon? Tell me this was just a game we played called life...

Have you looked into changing her diet? Also does she get enough exercise?

Have you had a check to see there are no infections anywhere?

Maybe trying some menthol dog shampoos?
    ~*~If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much~*~

Gold Member
    Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My dog has always smelled like a used sweatsock, since she has been a puppy.

The sweatsock smell seems especially strong when she has been sleeping, so maybe try keeping your dog awake?

Just kidding! Be glad you have a dog.

i say check the ears for mites or wax..i noticed this with my Jack and Beagle

Quote Originally Posted by jul-els View Post
    That's just dogs. They always have that "bag of corn chips" smell to them. Damn, they're some charming beasts.
    Exactly....Fritos Corn Chips!!! I've noticed it slightly on her and on other dogs I've had in the past when they're due for a bath, but this is reallystrong and comes up even when she's really clean. I've never had a dog this elderly, so maybe it just becomes more pronounced as they get older. She's been putting on some weight and having a bit more trouble getting around than she used to, so I wonder if it's what doggie sweat/BO smells like. I just hope it isn't a sign that there's something wrong with her.
    Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
    Dalai Lama

Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Have you had a check to see there are no infections anywhere?

Maybe trying some menthol dog shampoos?
    I use a vanilla scented dog shampoo, but menthol sounds like a good idea.
    Dalai Lama

Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
Through a Dog's Eyes
by Jennifer Arnold
Early one cool September morning when I was sixteen years old, I jumped out of my bed, headed for the bathroom. A split second after my feet hit the ...
Solving Your Cat's Behavior Problems
by Pam Johnson
To be a feline behavior consultant takes guts. Not because of anything cats might do, but because you inevitably become jokingly referred to as the ...
How to Get Your Dog to Do What You Want: A Loving Approach to Unleashing Your Dog's Astonishing Potential
by Warren EcksteinAndrea Eckstein
What You Put In Is What You Get Out As far as I'm concerned, a dog is a product of what's put into him. Two factors determine the personality, ...