Bronze Member

Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

So I became really good friends with a guy I have known for years, during the last half a year or so. We *may* both be attracted to each other (I can only speak for myself, but I get signals from him sometimes). Thing is, he does this weird thing where he seems to be trying to show me that can protect me. When we go somewhere, for example the movies, he usually says something like "I will be your buffer" and tries to place himself where he thinks I am most likely to be "attacked." Uhhh so I am never particularly worried about being attacked. I usually kinda laugh it off and say something like, "Yeaaah I am sure those nerdy looking guys are going to attack me." I don't know, it doesn't really bother me (I find it kind of amusingly actually), I just think it's kind of weird because I definitely don't get this from any of my other guy friends. Anyone have any similar experiences or insight?

A guy saying he's "PROTECTING" you is a way of him saying he doesn't have enough courage to say what he's feeling and is expecting you to make it easier for him to find an entry. Next time just grab his hand, smile, and say "I feel safe now."

He's either got a lame sense of humor and he's just joking around, or he's trying to playfully show you he cares and CAN take care of you in a low risk way. If you like him, respond positively to it. If you don't, tell him he's being cheesy.

That's a really stupid move on his part if that's how he chooses to express interest, though.
    You're my pride, you're my dream, you're my darling

Hmmm. I wonder if he'll be able to stay in that groove if you really do need protection. I would hate to think he'd run off or faint.
    Last edited by gsxr104; 01-10-2010 at 03:37 AM.

Bronze Member
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cbzfmoc View Post
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.
    he's not actually trying to "protect" you per se, it's not like you guys live in the jungle or something

it's just his way of showing his feelings

he cares about you, that's what's going on in his head

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...