What is love suppose to feel like?

Band_Nerd

I've been wondering this for awhile, after a situation that my friend was in. (long story)

Are you suppose to have butterflies in your stomach when you see the other person? Are you suppose to feel happy every time you talk to them? (ect.)

I know it's a broad question...but I'm asking it honestly.

What does love feel like to you?

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. How one experiences love may differ from another.

For me, I get butterflies whenever I spend time with my boyfriend (whether it's online or in person). It's a deep connection, a spark that we keep alive through our thoughts, feelings and experiences together. I tend to smile and laugh a lot, and do things that will make him smile.

Love isn't about how you feel about someone. It's about how much you care for them.

Is their happiness important to you? For its own sake, not whether it influences them to like you more? That's love.

Butterflies are about infatuation. That's not to knock infatuation - it feels awfully good. But it's about your desire for them, rather than loving them.

I found this on some website and maybe it will show you some clarity on this subject...

are your palms sweaty, is your heart racing? and is your voice caught within your chest?

it isn`t love, its like.

you can`t keep your eyes or hands off them, am i right?

it isn`t love, it`s lust.

are you proud and eager to show them off?

it isn`t love, its luck.

do you want them because you know they`re there?

it isn`t love, its loneliness.

are you there just cuz its what everyone wants?

it isn`t love, its loyalty.

Do you stay for their confessions of love, because you don`t wanna hurt them?

it isn`t love, its pity.

are you willing to give all of your favorite things for their sake?

it isn`t love, its charity.

are you there because they kissed you, or held your hand?

it isn`t love, its unconfident.

do you pardon their faults because you care about them?

it isn`t love, its friendship.

do you tell them everyday they are the only one you think of?

it isn`t love, its a lie.

But do you except there faults because they`re a part of who you are? Do you see their true heart, and touch your soul so deeply it hurts? Are you attracted to others, but stay with them faithfully without regret? Would you give them your heart, your life, your death and stay because a blinding in comprehensible mix of pain and elation pulls you close and holds you? now thats LOVE...

=]

I've been wondering this for awhile, after a situation that my friend was in. (long story)

Are you suppose to have butterflies in your stomach when you see the other person? Are you suppose to feel happy every time you talk to them? (ect.)

Love is a choice, not a feeling, IMO. Butterflies are attraction/infatuation, not love. Love is when you decide that a person's happiness means more to you than whether or not you are with them. It means you are willing to overlook all things (but you still have healthy boundaries and discussions) and to trust that this person is someone you want to have a relationship with, even if from a distance.

Love, to me, is sacraficial. You put the person first at times. You don't always let them "get their way," you just make sure to consider their needs when you consider your own. You love them as you love yourself.

I feel like the luckiest guy in the world to have such a beautiful, genuine, young woman in my life. Not only that, but we didn't have to act like anyone but ourselves when we met. We accept each other's authentic selves full and whole-heartedly. Love is difficult to describe. It's warm, comforting, joyous. When your lover is gone for an amount of time that you are not used to, that absence makes the heart grow fonder. It makes you appreciate on a deeper level the time you spend together. Songs that you never associated with anyone begin to remind you of that special someone. She's a companion, close friend, and educator (she being my first girlfriend).

Love isn't infatuation. It's mutual trust, accountability, dependability, et cetera. It's always being there for your partner, being there for each other. It's making him/her feel better even if you can't think of any other way than being present and close. Love is not paying attention to the other person's shortcomings, but appreciating his/her beauty. In fact, when you are in love, shortcomings are overlooked.

It took 23 years of my life to meet someone and fall in love, and I really cannot describe the feeling.

Love, to me, is about the verbal and body language emotional intimacy connection, a very intensely passionate physical affecttion and sex life, and a very committed time investment that can overcome all relationship problems we face. My thoughts on this topic were articulated by Dr. Sterberg's "Triangular Theory of Love" (1986). This is how I know at what relationship stage my emotions are as a romantic bond is nurtured with a woman.

The reason I analysed love is because we tend to confuse lust for love. Our instant need for physical attraction and emotional connection blinds us to what true love is about. This is what most of us call the "honeymoon" phase since we don't understand the difference between lust and love. This is also confused as an initial spark we get when we first meet someone we like. The best way to approach love is yo dslowly become friends and work your way through the natural relationship development that Dr. Sternberg explains in his theory.

Love isn't about how you feel about someone. It's about how much you care for them.

Is their happiness important to you? For its own sake, not whether it influences them to like you more? That's love.

Butterflies are about infatuation. That's not to knock infatuation - it feels awfully good. But it's about your desire for them, rather than loving them.

I should have read this first. It is this.

for me,

wanting to do something to make that person happy even if they or anyone else will ever know. selfless. loving every single bit of a person flaws and all. their presence brings happiness and excitement to your life. time ceases to exist around this person. you just are and your are ok with that. they make you truly happy like no one else can.

you do the same for them.

that has been my experience.

I don't know what love is or how it's supposed to feel but with my current boyfriend i've never stopped having the butterflies in my stomach feeling even after a year together. I look forward to seeing him each and every time, his calls in the morning wakes me up faster than my alarm clock. I care a great deal for him and would do anything for him. To me maybe that's love because I've never felt like that towards anyone.

The other posters have great insights as well. Love is when you treat one another with respect, honesty and kindness. You communicate your thoughts and feelings openly, and allow him or her to do the same. There's affection and tenderness. You care about one another's happiness and well-being. You encourage one another to go after your dreams and grow into the best people you can be.

Bingo!!!! This is it. I need to tattoo this somewhere so I don't forget.

Love is a choice, not a feeling,

I think it's a combination of a feeling AND a choice. There are many types of love. I've yet to find the romantic love required in a healthy relationship, but I know that I've loved a man. Still do. Even though I shouldn't. Something keeps pulling me back in. I would do anything to ensure his happiness. To me, this is a combination of everything on the list posted above.

Yeah, here comes the word police...

While that's a nice quote, I have a hard time taking such wisdom seriously from someone who forgets their first grade spelling lessons.

But I think he/she's on the right track. You can't define love by what it is, but you can define it by what it isn't.

I didn't write that, you big fat meanie. I got it from a website.

To anyone who took that post of mine as offensive, I'm sorry. Vertigo and I joke around sometimes and I didn't realize that some of you could have took that as me flaming another member. It honestly wasn't a knock on her, and we both understood that. I was wrong to assume others would have, because they wouldn't have known otherwise.

Archived