Thread: Stopping your breath while falling asleep ?

Stopping your breath while falling asleep ?

Last night I couldn't sleep because everytime I tried I had a strange sensation of suffocation, like if I forgot to breath. It doesn't happen on regular base but it wasn't the first time either. Seriously, I was so afraid to go to sleep because it really felt like dying !

Is this a bad sign for anything else ? How can you prevent this ?
    I have never found anything perfect in life but sometimes we have to put up with the sxxt...the best roses grow in the rottenist sxxt.
    just dont breathe in too deeply. - Trezz

If I don't stand to be corrected, this is called sleep apnea. You could either rent an uncomfortable mask for, anywhere from a few days to who knows when, have surgery to correct the issue or you could lose some weight- about ten pounds, which would probably correct the problem on it's own.

Anxiety can cause this symptom too.

Platinum Member 15 Storeys High's Avatar
    Sleep apnea occurs when you are already asleep. If you're not asleep and are getting these feelings whilst trying to fall asleep it's likely to be stress or anxiety related. You cannot "forget" to breathe. You brain won't let you unless it is severely injured. The brain will automatically wake a person suffering with sleep apnea once it detects carbon dioxide levels getting to high. If this continues and you find this anxiety increasing you will need to go and see a doctor. A lack of sleep is incredibly debilitating.
    You cannot do a kindness too soon for you'll never know how soon it will be too late. - Emerson

Ok thanks alot, no surgery for me then

I was indeed awake. And it's probably anxiety since I was worrying to much that night. What's the best way to relax then ? Because I really felt like dying
    I have never found anything perfect in life but sometimes we have to put up with the sxxt...the best roses grow in the rottenist sxxt.
    just dont breathe in too deeply. - Trezz

Platinum Member 15 Storeys High's Avatar
    There are lots of techniques around to help a person relax. Breathing and visualisation techniques are the easiest.....try having a look at this web page....

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Rela...-Exercises.htm
    You cannot do a kindness too soon for you'll never know how soon it will be too late. - Emerson

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    This happens to me every night as I fall asleep. It feels like your breath catches in your throat and you are suffocating and gasping to catch your breath. I agree it is stress or anxiety. I know for me it is panic. I know it is not apnea because I breath perfectly fine when I am asleep. I also get this when I am awake. I just close my eyes and breath deeply and imagine something that I enjoy and remind myself that there is no way I am going to die and it is only anxiety and that I can control that.
    Sept 23/2014 Asperger's diagnosis for my son. " in a box not a bottle"

If you judge people you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come follow me and I will give you rest

As for Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Life only goes around once but never again~~Fred Stobaugh

This happens to me from time to time as I fall asleep. It seems to happen when I am feeling very stressed and/or anxious. It's not apnea and it has nothing to do with my weight (I'm fit).

cami

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...