Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sharing Bed with Grown Son

I have to ask this.....

A guy I use to date.... whenever his mother would come to town to visit him, she and her son would sleep in the same bed.

Granted, it was a king sized bed.

BUT.... at the time I dated him, he was in his early 30's....

Does this strike anyone else as strange? Why not sleep on the sofa, or an air mattress ( I know he had one)?

Or is this a common practice for a bachleor when his mother comes to visit?

I know for myself, I would NEVER share the same bed overnight (not to mention for several nights) with my father. I love my father to death, and think it's one of the greatest men out there, but I would never do it. I'm in my 30's, and think that would just be strange to share a bed with my almost 60-something father. So why would it be okay for a mother and her 30-something son to share a bed?

Heck, I'm starting to feel uncomfortable when my 7 years old slips in to my bed from time to time after a bad dream at night.... I can't imagine sharing the same bed with him, even for convienence sake, another 25 years down the road.

Thoughts? Strange? Normal? Am I missing something? For some reason this popped in my head today and I remember thinking it odd.
    Last edited by prettymommy; 10-16-2009 at 04:00 PM.

I would definitely agree that it is weird. Did he just randomly tell you one day..." I sleep in the same bed as my mother?"

I guess its just how your raised.

I wouldn't really think twice about sleeping in the same bed as my dad if he came to visit. It wouldn't happen nowadays because I share a bed with my boyfriend but yeah completely normal to me.
    "Don't tell me what I can't do" -John Locke

sounds weird.
    My one true blessing in life and testament to my excellent character is the fact that my family intensely dislike me.
    recognise your blessings and keep company of good people :-)

Dear optimists, pessimists, and realists,
    While you were all arguing over the glass of water... I drank it.
    Sincerely, an opportunist :-D

That is really weird. I think once your son gets old enough to start going to school, he should get his own room and bed.

OP, I wouldn't worry. It's not normal behavior for a 30 year old man to sleep in the same bed with his mother.

I certainly wouldn't do it, and I don't know anyone else who does.
    May you live all the days of your life

Trying to heal from after a breakup? Perhaps you need Enhanced No Contact: http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1438257

Quote Originally Posted by lunarstar0131 View Post
    I would definitely agree that it is weird. Did he just randomly tell you one day..." I sleep in the same bed as my mother?"
    No. From what I remember, he had some surgery on his nose and his mother came down for a week to help him recuperiate (another strange one, IMHO. What grown man needs his mother to take care of him for a week after a little minor nose surgery?) ANYWAYS... I just remember him saying one day that his Mom kept him up with her snoring, and he said he rolled over and pinched her to make her stop, or something to that effect. So that's where I "found" out.

In subsequent visits his mother made while my ex and I were dating, similar stuff was said to me.

I guess I am wondering that, since my ex was the first guy I had dated in awhile after getting out of another LTR that had started in my early 20's, now that I am in my 30's and contemplating dating again, if that is something I should expect. I had felt like saying something at the time (that it made me uncomfortable) but didn't. I guess I'm thinking that if it is indeed the norm for men in their 30's to sleep in the same bed as their visiting mother, that maybe it's not my place to say anything b/c I'm not aware of this norm...

But from what it sounds like, it's not really the norm....
    Last edited by prettymommy; 10-16-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Well I think Michael Jackson once said the most wonderful thing a person can do is share their bed....

That said, I dont see it as troubling, I cant imagine doing it, but I dont think they are doing anything wrong. Hell I have been on golf trips with buds and there are always 2 guys who are forced to share the king sized room. I always get there early to scope out a single bed...LOL

Unless there is no other bed, or sofa then its really odd. Hell i would sleep on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by HEMI_dude View Post
    Unless there is no other bed, or sofa then its really odd. Hell i would sleep on the floor.
    I remember my brother saying this before...you just reminded me of him

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
For the new generation of children social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are among the most common activities and, in ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Adult men who had their parents divorced before they turned 18 are at a significantly higher risk of suffering a stroke when compared to men whose ...
by David B. Van Heemst
Based on the latest research and his personal experience as the father of five daughters, author David B. Van Heemst details what a father must do in ...