getting ready to start the "candida diet"

Eeeeeek!

So for those of you who don't know about this diet, it's no sugar (not even natural sugars), no wheat, and no dairy. It's like I'm a diabetic, a celiac, and lactose intolerant all in one.

I have to be super strict about it for a month minimum, possibly longer. I'm starting it on Monday, and I'm freaking out! Just bought a guidebook/cookbook...really trying to prep myself. I tried it a couple months ago but I wasn't very strict, and now I have to be.

Has anyone here had to be extremely strict about a really limiting diet before for health reasons? What did you do when you just wanted to give up? How do you motivate yourself to stick with it? I don't wanna fail again...well, let's rephrase that. I can't fail again. I need some inspiration!

What made you decide to start dieting?

At the beginning of the summer I went on a high protein and high carbohydrate diet to help myself gain weight. I was started to look really sickly because of my break-up combined with serious medical issues.

As a general rule I try to eat little or no sugar because I'm a hypoglycemic. I limit myself to one soda a day because that usually contains sugar and caffeine. Whenever I divert from this process I feel awful and that helps me not want to eat those kinds of foods again.

I guess it all boils down to will power. Its almost like you have to make yourself eat certain things and refrain from the bad stuff.

Ivory, it's for chronic yeast issues...if it wasn't necessary, there's NO way I'd do it! I love food way too much, lol. And I definitely don't need to lose any weight.

FortunateOne, applying a dietary regimen is the only way to get rid of candidiasis...

My case isn't "life-threatening," but it is uncomfortable and debilitating (in some instances).

InBruges, when I tried the diet before my symptoms decreased pretty dramatically...and then I gave up and had weekend binge of carbs and wine...and BOOM, yeast infection two days later.

Juices are TERRIBLE for the issues I'm having. I've been researching this for months and months. I respect your opinion that it's a dumb diet, but when it becomes a medical necessity for you to at least try it, then we'll talk.

No offense, but this sounds like a dumb diet. Everything has sugars in it whether glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose, glycogen, yada yada...

I recommend water fasting. Drink only juices for a few days to ease in... then only water for a few days... then back to juices.

]

Uh not only is a water fast for more than 4 days silly, it's downright dangerous and the link you posted is for a 40 day water fast.

Drinking only juices for a few days is sure to fill her blood with more simple sugars. The problems here are SIMPLE sugars not complex sugars like you'd find in salad greens, cauliflower, etc ALL THE GOOD VEGETABLES.

pinkrobot: You shouldn't eat too much fruit if you decide to go on this diet, either.

InBruges, when I tried the diet before my symptoms decreased pretty dramatically...and then I gave up and had weekend binge of carbs and wine...and BOOM, yeast infection two days later.

Juices are TERRIBLE for the issues I'm having. I've been researching this for months and months. I respect your opinion that it's a dumb diet, but when it becomes a medical necessity for you to at least try it, then we'll talk.

The only reason I said it was dumb is because it's not possible. Everything has sugars in it... so really the only diet that is free from sugar *is* a water fast.

Bread has sugars, meat has sugars, vegetables have sugars, nuts have sugars... everything.

The only reason I said it was dumb is because it's not possible. Everything has sugars in it... so really the only diet that is free from sugar *is* a water fast.

Bread has sugars, meat has sugars, vegetables have sugars, nuts have sugars... everything.

Meat has such a low carbohydrate content that it's pretty much

pink robot, the most helpful thing to stick to such a strict diet.. Throw away all your junk food. Seriously.

Okay, let me clarify: it's not like if I have a single atom-sized amount of natural sugar, the diet simply won't fulfill its purpose (btw, I won't be eating bread...).

Basically, I will live off of organic meat and vegetables (very low natural sugar content) for a month straight. Where do you get that meat has sugar in it? The meat I eat doesn't contain sugar, so maybe we're eating different meat.

I have to give up most foods besides meat and veggies to starve the yeast in my body.

Just some background info. Although criticism of the diet doesn't really pertain to my original question at all...

Uh not only is a water fast for more than 4 days silly, it's downright dangerous and the link you posted is for a 40 day water fast.

Drinking only juices for a few days is sure to fill her blood with more simple sugars. The problems here are SIMPLE sugars not complex sugars like you'd find in salad greens, cauliflower, etc ALL THE GOOD VEGETABLES.

pinkrobot: You shouldn't eat too much fruit if you decide to go on this diet, either.

You didn't watch the link. And you're either misinformed on fasting or you're making assumptions. I'd assume the latter since you made the assumption that the link was for a 40 day water fast... had you watched it, then you might actually know what it was about.

I know... we live in a rapid information age. No one has attention span anymore. We read the headings, the titles, the first line of each paragraph, and then our minds are made up. Unfortunately, nothing useful is accomplished that way.

If you don't want to watch the link, then don't. But don't comment on it as if you know anything about it just because you clicked it and read the title.

Meat has such a low carbohydrate content that it's pretty much

pink robot, the most helpful thing to stick to such a strict diet.. Throw away all your junk food. Seriously.

Haha thank you for actually answering my question!

The only thing holding me back from throwing out all my junk food is that it would require me to throw out the junk food belonging to my family (still living at home). And they just aren't down with that, unfortunately, lol.

If I can just resist the bread and the crackers sitting in the kitchen, I should be mostly okay.

I know... we live in a rapid information age. No one has attention span anymore. We read the headings, the titles, the first line of each paragraph, and then our minds are made up. Unfortunately, nothing useful is accomplished that way.

Right, just like you read that I can't eat sugar, wheat, or dairy, and made an assumption about this diet without knowing what it really entails and what its purpose even is?

I didn't go into extreme detail about what health issues I'm on this diet for. So how can you tell me what alternative treatment I should use (i.e., water fasting) when you don't really know what my problem is?

Haha thank you for actually answering my question!

The only thing holding me back from throwing out all my junk food is that it would require me to throw out the junk food belonging to my family (still living at home). And they just aren't down with that, unfortunately, lol.

If I can just resist the bread and the crackers sitting in the kitchen, I should be mostly okay.

Ah living at home is really hard when it comes to that.

You could always read some of the raw food/ anti-bread propaganda there is on the internet and scare yourself off wheat products for good?

Or just say.. "I have to do this for 30 days. It takes 28 days to break a habit. After that, I will not want bread anymore. I will still be alive in 30 days so if I really miss bread and cookies and crackers.. I can eat all the bread and cookies and crackers I want. They are not going to become prohibited substances. Oreos will not go out of existence in one month. I can do this!"

OP,

Do you have Candidiasis? Do you have a wheat allergy? Do you gave a severe form of IBS? I ask because I have a friend with a debilitating IBS that prevents her from working, dating, studying and, most of all, living a normal life people take for granted. She got this disorder due to her strict diet regimen when she professionally modeled from age 15 to 28. Her doctors said she abused her gastrointestinal track to the point she caused permenant damage to her nerve endings. Now all different types of food negatively hurt her and she has a nutrient absorbtion problem. Her pain is a daily grind to the point where she has thought of suicide. This is how delicate dietary plans can hurt you in the future just because it's a fad. The only reason I condon this diet is if you have a gastrointestinal disorder.

OP,

Do you have Candidiasis? Do you have a wheat allergy? Do you gave a severe form of IBS? I ask because I have a friend with a debilitating IBS that prevents her from working, dating, studying and, most of all, living a normal life people take for granted. She got this disorder due to her strict diet regimen when she professionally modeled from age 15 to 28. Her doctors said she abused her gastrointestinal track to the point she caused permenant damage to her nerve endings. Now all different types of food negatively hurt her and she has a nutrient absorbtion problem. Her pain is a daily grind to the point where she has thought of suicide. This is how delicate dietary plans can hurt you in the future just because it's a fad. The only reason I condon this diet is if you have a gastrointestinal disorder.

Ha, I wouldn't call this diet a "fad" of any kind! Most people don't even know about it.

It's not a digestive issue...it's more, er, personal than that. I'd rather not go into details.

However, what you have to say is very interesting. I'm meeting with my doctor next week, I'll ask her if that should be a concern. There's a possibility she can also prescribe long-term medicinal treatment, but I'm also wary of pumping my body full of medication endlessly for months and months.

Candida, is usually caused by an imbalance in the intestinal bacteria.

lowering simple sugars will help.

supplementing with probiotics will help.

also just because your on a low carb diet does not mean you need to give up something sweet.

Stevia is a natural herb thats sold as a sugar substitute, if you can find the kind with FoS, that will even be better, it actually helps with friendly bacteria.

also Yacón, syrup ( at health food store or Whole Earth type markets ) is also a very good natural very low carb sweetner.

link removedlink removed

here is a link for a step by step diet guide for candida elimination.

link removed

notice step 1,

"Eliminate refined carbohydrates, as well as natural and artificial sweeteners from your diet (except stevia). "

the link is very informative take a look.

good luck

What about eating healthy and exercise?

What Iphigenia said is very true.

I already eat healthy and exercise. The reason I have to temporarily eliminate most things from my diet is because they feed yeast in our bodies, and I have an overgrowth of yeast that is causing specific health issues. So by not eating sugar, wheat, or dairy, and by taking probiotics to replenish good bacteria in my body, I am starving the yeast that are causing my problems.

What Iphigenia said is very true.

I already eat healthy and exercise. The reason I have to temporarily eliminate most things from my diet is because they feed yeast in our bodies, and I have an overgrowth of yeast that is causing specific health issues. So by not eating sugar, wheat, or dairy, and by taking probiotics to replenish good bacteria in my body, I am starving the yeast that are causing my problems.

That's sort of interesting. Sucks you have to do it, but interesting from an outside perspective.

Sorry I could not be of help...

You should check out Magic (Miracle) Berries if you haven't yet. Now they are starting to appear in health food stores, and you can order them fresh online.

Rather than explain in detail, just google it. lol. For 20-30 min. approx. after you eat the berry, it switches your perception so that sour + bitter foods taste sweet.

I love sweets. If you can't tell. You might also want to check out some vegan recipes if you are a sweet lover. Yes, you have to wade through some crap, but some of it is very tasty. Like date + ground almond + zucchini balls. Yum.

Are you going to be able to drink soy milk at least? I hope you feel better after all this.

Archived