Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is cat food bad for dogs?

Someone told me cat food is bad for dogs, and dog food is bad for cats. Any truth to that?

Yes and no. Cat food is bad for dogs because cats are carnivores and dogs are omnivores. Therefore, cat food is made entirely of meat and is too rich for dogs' stomachs. It can cause stomach problems down the road if they eat it too much. Dog food, however, is safe for cats--though they rarely feel the urge to eat it.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss.

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    My dog steals my cats food all the time, (she eats biscuites I cant spell sorry) and my cat will sometimes eat the dogs food. lol
    And we've never had any problems. I suppose its what you feed each animal, if you feed the cat meat for every meal and the dogs eat that then yes it will be unhelathy.

Platinum Member
    If the dog's diet consisted entirely of cat food, that might be a problem (though the cheaper varieties I think have cereal in as well as meat, as far as I can remember), but within my experience dogs will eat everything they possibly can. Or maybe that was just MY monster!

Cats are very much pickier about their food. If it was luxury, top-of-the-range dog food left on the table as if it were there for someone else, they might just go for it!

"cat food is made entirely of meat and is too rich for dogs' stomachs."

That's not true. most people feed foods like Purina and Iams and it's very corn heavy.

I do think there is a difference in the balance of nutrients that are added, and i second the people who said that your dog's diet shouldn't be primarilly cat kibble, but that a little bit as a treat is ok.
    Fake it til you make it!

I'll get more technical than my first post. I was giving the Cliff's notes version.

Cat food is primarily meat, which can result in kidney failure for dogs if they eat it too often. Cats are obligate (strict) carnivores and therefore different from dogs in their nutritional needs. This means that cats get their nutritional needs met by the consumption of a large amount of animal-based proteins (meat) and derives much less nutritional support from plant-based proteins (grains). It means that cats cannot utilize plant proteins as efficiently as animal proteins. Cats don't really like dog food, so you don't really have to worry about them eating it or eating too much of it.

Dogs are more omnivorous than cats, since they are non-obligate carnivores. So although dogs are technically carnivores, they can digest and benefit more from an omnivorous diet than cats. This goes for domesticated dogs, of course. That's how they have been bred to eat. A wolf or a coyote is going to eat only meat.

At the end of the day, though, kibble diets for either animal are not the best diet. Raw food diets make for a healthier pet.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss.

If cats eat only dog food it can cause blindness, due to the lack of taurine, in commercially prepared dog food diets. Taurine is essential in a cat's diet or retinal degeneration can occur.

Don't really know of detrimental effects of dogs eating primarily cat food.
    Life is too short to be unhappy.

Perform an Act of Random Kindness everyday.

Some people can have all the lights on and still be in the dark.

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~Lao Tzu

My dog is a punk (LOL) and will totally steal the cats food if he's left alone with them. So basically my mom has to babysit the cats while they eat so Marco (dog) doesn't get their food.
    I shared my spare on Feb 4th. Ask me about living kidney donation.

Quote Originally Posted by metrogirl View Post
    My dog is a punk (LOL) and will totally steal the cats food if he's left alone with them. So basically my mom has to babysit the cats while they eat so Marco (dog) doesn't get their food.
    My two do the same thing! And don't even get me started on the cat box!!! I swear, they should market "Cat Poop Flavored" dog medication. There would be no fight what-so-ever in getting them to take it readily! lol
    Life is too short to be unhappy.

Perform an Act of Random Kindness everyday.

Some people can have all the lights on and still be in the dark.

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~Lao Tzu

Dog food is bad for dogs.
    For that matter, cat food is bad for cats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
Through a Dog's Eyes
by Jennifer Arnold
Early one cool September morning when I was sixteen years old, I jumped out of my bed, headed for the bathroom. A split second after my feet hit the ...
Solving Your Cat's Behavior Problems
by Pam Johnson
To be a feline behavior consultant takes guts. Not because of anything cats might do, but because you inevitably become jokingly referred to as the ...
How to Get Your Dog to Do What You Want: A Loving Approach to Unleashing Your Dog's Astonishing Potential
by Warren Eckstein, Andrea Eckstein
What You Put In Is What You Get Out As far as I'm concerned, a dog is a product of what's put into him. Two factors determine the personality, ...