Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

do you ever stop loving someone?

or rather, have you ever stopped loving someone? can you.. have you love other people, after?? is it possible to have room in your heart to love another person, just as much or even more than you did the first time around??

I have no idea. I just go on existential mode. What is love? Can we love more than one person? Was it love? Will we have love? What is life? Who are we? Where do we come from?

Yeah, life is too abstract for my liking.

I have stopped loving someone. And I have also been able to love someone else, even more than I loved the first person.
    Grammar nerds are sexy [http://grammaniac.com]

Yes you can stop loving someone and love someone else after. Love is not only just a feeling. Love is a choice you make. You choose to, or not to, love someone.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkelephant View Post
    or rather, have you ever stopped loving someone? can you.. have you love other people, after?? is it possible to have room in your heart to love another person, just as much or even more than you did the first time around??
    I can stop loving some people romantically, but if I really truly loved them, then it's there forever with me. It never ever goes away. It's a curse and a gift I think, but mostly a gift. I just talked to my 10 year ex girfriend (ex's for more then 3 years now) last night for about an hour. It was wonderful to hear her voice, and it was easy to talk to her. I don't have an ounce of animosity about anything, and I truly love her. I don't need to own her, or sleep with her, or command her, or anything as possessive as any of that though. I can just be her fan, and root for her, and wish her so much happiness. And really, she does that for me too. It was so worth it, the way we handled everything with each other. I can't say enough about her character. Sweetest woman ever.

But romantically, part of me is still hung up on the ex after her. I guess that will probably go away too, but who really knows. Actually, I know it goes away once you truly fall in love with another person, but if she's out there, I haven't met her yet.

Platinum Member
    Certainly. When I was 19 and very much in love I thought my ex was the only one for me. I thought, "I simply can't live without him". He ended up cheating on me and breaking my heart. It took a long time, but I did recover from it. In fact, I have no feelings for him whatsoever now. I think about him only once in a blue moon.

I loved my second ex (and only other boyfriend) far more than I ever loved the first guy. I think it also helped that we were friends for a long time before we dated. It didn't end well, but I can say that I loved him much more deeply than the first guy. Perhaps it helped that I was older?

If you aren't bitter, there is always room in your heart for another person. Friend or lover. However, that can be quite a feat for some people. Forgiveness is key.

I been in 2 serious relationships that I thought were "the one" and couldn't even imagine EVER loving anyone more then them. Boy was I wrong, I loved the first guy, the second one more and my husband now blows them out of the water. So to answer your question yes you can & you will! Your heart has alot of lovin to give lol
    Alicia Katherine was born June 15th,2010.....Rachel Marie due Sept 8th, 2011!!

Platinum Member
    It's a double-edged sword. Too much of the bad side can put you off of it. In extreme cases, I would imagine completely. I believe that would have to be really extreme though. As long as you have a strong enough sense of and love for yourself, then you'll always have enough to give, in whatever context you may deem fitting.

I've stopped loving and caring about myself. So it is possible to stop loving someone. Love, love is just a mental state of mind. Its something that we are made to believe is true. Its like advertising.
    The car doesn't make the driver, the driver makes the car

It's not the ride, it's the rider.

I think the answer is definitly yes.
    I've seen it happen with an ex of mine. When he was with me, he was in love (or thought he was). Yet he didn't treat me that well.
    But as he got new gf's I could see his love kept growing and he just seems to treat them (in public anyways and the way he speaks of them to others) better. He's still a jerk though when it comes to break ups but that's another topic.

For me, it's also been the case. Each relationship has made me open my heart more and more, while being more cautious. But every relationship makesme discover new sides of myself I never knew existed.
    I feel like I learned a bit more with each relationship, and the current one I'm in feels most like the real deal. I can't say the same for my past ones, even though it felt like it back then when I had less experience..
    You're just too good to be true... Can't take my eyes off of you...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...