Should I wish him happy birthday?

justbrowsing

I've been with my FWB for 1 1/2 yrs now and it's worked out mostly because we try to maintain certain boundaries. Last November, he didn't acknowledge mine even though months before I had sent him greetings. I brushed it off because of the non-relationship that we have. But he knows I was hurt by this because in Feb instead of meeting with me, he went out to celebrate his best friend's birthday. I told him I understood because I didn't like being forgotten on my birthday. He apologized when I said that.

Now his birthday is coming up and I'm wondering if I should even greet him. I think it's polite and I feel guilty purposely ignoring it. He hasn't mentioned anything at all about this. I am wondering if guys could care less about their birthdays. Is that crossing the lines in terms of fwb?

While strangers may not acknowledge one another's birthday, even people who are acquaintances often do. As I have stated many times on this forum, there tends to be a certain amount of disrespect when it comes to how FWBs treat each other...usually one person more than the other..often the guy. Calling it friendship is a more palatable way of viewing what is really a booty call and nothing more. By not acknowledging your birthday that comes out loud and clear that you are not even considered a friend or acquaintance...he has packaged you as a booty call and nothing more. He, like in many situations of this type, sees you as genitals and a means to an orgasm rather than as a human being with feelings, emotions, a life of your own and birthdays. The fact that you have to think twice about whether or not you should acknowledge his birthday says a lot about your level of comfort with this setup...you want some humanity in this setup but he has different thoughts. My suggestion would be to acknowledge his birthday because that is what people do...a simple phone call or email will suffice...do it for your benefit not for his...because your conscience and sense of right and wrong says that when you know someone, no matter what the context, it is nice to acknowledge their birthday. Then I would re-evaluate this set-up and think carefully about whether or not this FWB is really want you want in the long run and whether you are selling yourself short. This man does not care for you, does not consider you as anything except a booty call...wish him a happy birthday, by all means, but maybe it is time to end the booty call setup.

oh, i wish i could find that article on Craigslist about the difference between FWB, FB, ONS, and bf/gf. It was really good and funny. the author states that most people use the term "Friends with benefits" interchangably with "F buddy" but they are not the same. A "Friend with benefits" is supposed to be that - a friend. he should be there for you, take you to the doctor if you are sick, listen to you if you have a hard day, etc.... not just hang out with you for sex. while a "F buddy" is a casual sexual arrangement, you two only call each other when you are in the mood.

that said - where do you stand with this man? are you two more 'friends' doing friend-like things, or are you F buddies?

and, if you don't mind me saying, how old are you? i get the concept of having a bed buddy, but for a year and a half? do you think by staying with him you are having a harder time finding a bf?

Archived