Best way to give a dog away?

CoCo2009

I have been having so many problems lately. I don't know what to do anymore, I am not available emotionally at all and I do not want to play with or pet my dog, not to mention have him staring at me all day while I sit at home depressed. I feel bad that he doesn't have a better owner. So I want to know if its best to take him to a shelter? I don't have the money to put a ad up and honestly I don't like craigslist because people are creepy. I know its bad to put him in a shelter because they might kill him and I don't have any friends. I don't know anyone who would want the dog. What should I do. I am not up for this whole thing anymore. I feel bad I can't have the dog suffer for affection because I am depressed its not fair to him He should be loved by someone. I feel like an awful person right now. I don't even know anymore.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know, many people on here have told you a million times that dogs don't mind not having affection. A warm body in the same house is at times all they need. I'm obsessed with my dog but I am not constantly touching or talking to her. Right now she's on her bed, I'm in mine, she's sleeping, I'm on the computer. She's happy even without me touching or talking to her. What you think your dog is feeling is in your head. Be a good dog owner and keep him.

Sorry if you don't like, I'm just trying to do whats best for the dog. My mom told me that I'm abusing him and I don't want to be the type of person to do this. So I'm just trying to be responsible.

How are u abusing the dog? You aren't beating him up, mistreating him, not feeding him, etc.

Sometimes, just being around the dog is good enough. Don't have to entertain the dog always.

^This is true.

I really think it would be good for you to keep the dog if for nothing else but to have company. Also, you should walk them every day. Seriously. Not just for them but for you. I'm not joking when I say it does wonders for the mind. It always calms me down and clears my head to just get out and walk. And if you feel better physically it helps so much mentally.

I don't understand how its NOT wrong to NEVER play with or pet your dog. It just doesn't seem right. Dogs are affectionate they like attention they like long walks I don't like any of those things so how am I being a good owner if I don't do any of these things. I feel guilty. I know I should have thought about all that before I got him but I don't know how to go back. I'm not up to forcing myself to pretend to like petting him and playing with him. I don't know? So there is no good way to do this I am assuming?

Would you get rid of your child b/c you felt like you weren't paying enough attention tto it?

what's stopping you from playing with your dog? Have you tried? Have you tried being carefree with it and running and laughing and watching it chase a ball?

Sometimes in our lives we have to grow up and take responsibility for the decisions we make. Abuse isn't not petting your dog. Abuse is making the dog suffer because you made an immature decision in adopting him.

You should keep your dog and educate yourself on being a dog owner. You will be surprised at how fulfilling it will be.

Would you get rid of your child b/c you felt like you weren't paying enough attention tto it?

what's stopping you from playing with your dog? Have you tried? Have you tried being carefree with it and running and laughing and watching it chase a ball?

I'm sorry but yes I have tried but I'm not into it, Its not something I enjoy at all. I'm not into it. I'm tired of trying to be into a dog. I feel like I can't be honest about the dog or people think I'm just evil. I'm sorry I feel this way I just do. Is there a good way to go about this?

Have you spoken with the shelter about re-homing your dog and the best way to do this? Don't put him in there if they kill though, that would be inhuman.

That said, I'm not sure you should give up your dog. This is depression speaking and if you do give him away you'll probably just feel worse and use it to beat yourself up more over it.

Coco, I just want you to be happy. I don't think giving your dog to a pound where they could get put down is going to give much progress in that direction.

Side note: dogs aren't only a good way to meet women for guys. They are also a good way to meet MEN!

The other day I came accross a rottweiler who was skinny as a rail and obviously hadn't eaten in weeks. He had an embedded collar, resulting in a bleeding, gaping infected wound around his neck. He was abused, clearly. Very neglected and abused. And he still found a way to come up to me to let me pet him and give me a kiss on my hand.

Dogs are the most resilient creatures in the world. Unless your dog is going through what that rottweiler was going through, then I'm sure your dog is fine.

Sometimes in our lives we have to grow up and take responsibility for the decisions we make. Abuse isn't not petting your dog. Abuse is making the dog suffer because you made an immature decision in adopting him.

You should keep your dog and educate yourself on being a dog owner. You will be surprised at how fulfilling it will be.

So I'm immature because I'm trying to do something responsible and not keep a dog that I'm abusing. What about the people who starve their dog, beat their dog? I would say they are the ones that are immature and irresponsible. I'm trying to do whats responsible and find the best way to find him a loving home.

If you want to find your dog a loving home put up an ad in your neighbourhood. Make sure you vet the persons home and the person before you send him there. Spend time and effort making sure he goes to someone who will care for him. Please dont just give him to a pound cos they get put down.

If you really want to be responsible, and you are dead set on giving up your puppy and nobody can convince you otherwise, put out the money and put in an ad. Or, do some serious research to make sure your dog finds a home and doesn't meet a worse fate.

Beware though that he/she is attatched to you.. and this will make them sad.. and possibly you as well. I don't know.

So I'm immature because I'm trying to do something responsible and not keep a dog that I'm abusing. What about the people who starve their dog, beat their dog? I would say they are the ones that are immature and irresponsible. I'm trying to do whats responsible and find the best way to find him a loving home.

No, you're immature because you adopted a dog without educating yourself on what it's like to be a dog owner. I speak of people that starve and beat their dogs with much harsher language than "immature".

The only way to be truly "responsible" in this situation is to follow through with what you started: raising the dog YOU adopted. He didn't ask to be adopted into your home, you asked for him. Now it is your responsibility to give him a good home until he passes away.

You guys don't understand I have no desire at all in my body to play or pet this dog. Why should I try day in and day out to try and pet or play with a do I do not want to play with this dog at all. I'm sorry but I don't. I can barely take care of myself. I don't know how else to explain it. Oh and no I haven't talked to the shelter about rehoming I didn't know it was an option thats why I made this post for the right ideas on how to go about this since this is my first dog.

Hersmudder no I am not beating him or anything like that but I don't think its right to now want to interact with the dog. As you can see people in this post are telling me to go "enjoy" the dog "be carefree" and love him. I am not doing this and I have no desire to, what am I supposed to say okay and pretend that I am. Thats wrong, I'm not going to do that anymore.

No, you're immature because you adopted a dog without educating yourself on what it's like to be a dog owner. I speak of people that starve and beat their dogs with much harsher language than "immature".

The only way to be truly "responsible" in this situation is to follow through with what you started: raising the dog YOU adopted. He didn't ask to be adopted into your home, you asked for him. Now it is your responsibility to give him a good home until he passes away.

agree fully...you can't just give up on something b/c it's not what you expected. you don't give your kids away b/c motherhood is harder than you think. you can't do that with a dog.

Archived