Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to give a dog away?

Best way to give a dog away?

I have been having so many problems lately. I don't know what to do anymore, I am not available emotionally at all and I do not want to play with or pet my dog, not to mention have him staring at me all day while I sit at home depressed. I feel bad that he doesn't have a better owner. So I want to know if its best to take him to a shelter? I don't have the money to put a ad up and honestly I don't like craigslist because people are creepy. I know its bad to put him in a shelter because they might kill him and I don't have any friends. I don't know anyone who would want the dog. What should I do. I am not up for this whole thing anymore. I feel bad I can't have the dog suffer for affection because I am depressed its not fair to him He should be loved by someone. I feel like an awful person right now. I don't even know anymore.

Coco, again with this? Really?
    I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!

Spay and neuter your pets! Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die!

Sorry if you don't like, I'm just trying to do whats best for the dog. My mom told me that I'm abusing him and I don't want to be the type of person to do this. So I'm just trying to be responsible.

Ya know, many people on here have told you a million times that dogs don't mind not having affection. A warm body in the same house is at times all they need. I'm obsessed with my dog but I am not constantly touching or talking to her. Right now she's on her bed, I'm in mine, she's sleeping, I'm on the computer. She's happy even without me touching or talking to her. What you think your dog is feeling is in your head. Be a good dog owner and keep him.

Platinum Member renaissancewoman101's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCo2009 View Post
    Sorry if you don't like, I'm just trying to do whats best for the dog. My mom told me that I'm abusing him and I don't want to be the type of person to do this. So I'm just trying to be responsible.
    How are u abusing the dog? You aren't beating him up, mistreating him, not feeding him, etc.

Sometimes, just being around the dog is good enough. Don't have to entertain the dog always.

What's best for the dog is a home where he's warm and fed and able to see someone near him, then he's happy. Be a good dog owner and keep him.

^This is true.

I really think it would be good for you to keep the dog if for nothing else but to have company. Also, you should walk them every day. Seriously. Not just for them but for you. I'm not joking when I say it does wonders for the mind. It always calms me down and clears my head to just get out and walk. And if you feel better physically it helps so much mentally.

I don't understand how its NOT wrong to NEVER play with or pet your dog. It just doesn't seem right. Dogs are affectionate they like attention they like long walks I don't like any of those things so how am I being a good owner if I don't do any of these things. I feel guilty. I know I should have thought about all that before I got him but I don't know how to go back. I'm not up to forcing myself to pretend to like petting him and playing with him. I don't know? So there is no good way to do this I am assuming?

People with dogs live longer, happier lives.

Would you get rid of your child b/c you felt like you weren't paying enough attention tto it?

what's stopping you from playing with your dog? Have you tried? Have you tried being carefree with it and running and laughing and watching it chase a ball?

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Related Articles & Books
Through a Dog's Eyes
by Jennifer Arnold
Early one cool September morning when I was sixteen years old, I jumped out of my bed, headed for the bathroom. A split second after my feet hit the ...
Solving Your Cat's Behavior Problems
by Pam Johnson
To be a feline behavior consultant takes guts. Not because of anything cats might do, but because you inevitably become jokingly referred to as the ...
How to Get Your Dog to Do What You Want: A Loving Approach to Unleashing Your Dog's Astonishing Potential
by Warren Eckstein, Andrea Eckstein
What You Put In Is What You Get Out As far as I'm concerned, a dog is a product of what's put into him. Two factors determine the personality, ...