Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: signs that flirting is just friendly vs romantic interest?

signs that flirting is just friendly vs romantic interest?

How does one tell when flirting is intended to be just friendly and playful, or if a guy has some real attraction toward you? The interactions you have when you see each other in the course of the day - is there a way to tell, or do you have to rely on an actual declaration of some interest in order to tell the difference between friendly flirting or "real" flirting?

Not looking for ways to flirt or anything like that - just interested in what responses people have based on their own or other's experience.

Gold Member
    Hmmm..if they mention how cute or attractive you are, I think that's a sign of romantic interest. Real attraction is asking you detailed questions about yourself,not just surface questions.
    "What you do speaks so loud I cannot hear a word you say"

"When I do good, I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad,
    that's my religion"

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Venus View Post
    Hmmm..if they mention how cute or attractive you are, I think that's a sign of romantic interest. Real attraction is asking you detailed questions about yourself,not just surface questions.
    Ah, but don't people interested in friendship also ask detailed questions?

Platinum Member midnightrambler's Avatar
    if i am flirting it isn't just being friendly

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by COtuner View Post
    Ah, but don't people interested in friendship also ask detailed questions?
    Not neccessarily. If someone is interested in you romantically, you will KNOW it. I know I do....and like the other poster said if I'm flirting with you, it's because their is attraction. I don't just flirt for the sake of flirting.
    "What you do speaks so loud I cannot hear a word you say"

"When I do good, I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad,
    that's my religion"

Gold Member
    I agree with this.

Also, if they steer or allow the conversation to on to your personal life or fish about information about your love life.

And, the consistency is a big part. All the guys that were flirting with me with romantic intentions made it a point to do it on a regular, consistent basis. The ones with friendly intentions were on and off in their attention levels.
    "Everything is awesome. Fundamentally."

Not neccessarily. If someone is interested in you romantically, you will KNOW it. I know I do....and like the other poster said if I'm flirting with you, it's because their is attraction. I don't just flirt for the sake of flirting.
    See, I ask because I'm used to guy friends and coworkers being a tiny bit silly with me, not openly flirting but maybe light teasing banter in conversation just for fun. Therefore, I have learned that this does not always mean romantic interest when a guy flirts - it can just be fun or being silly

So figuring out how to actually tell the difference with guys I don't know well is something that came up in a conversation with a friend today.

Quote Originally Posted by cat_lady View Post
    I agree with this.

Also, if they steer or allow the conversation to on to your personal life or fish about information about your love life.

And, the consistency is a big part. All the guys that were flirting with me with romantic intentions made it a point to do it on a regular, consistent basis. The ones with friendly intentions were on and off in their attention levels.
    Hmmm.... ok... thanks for the additional detail

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    This is how I can tell if a guy likes me.

If you are in a group setting, move to another part of the group. If within 5 minutes he ends up next to you, he probably likes you.

if you are walking in a group, slow down the pace. If he slows down to walk with you, he probably likes you.

If he seems flirty with most girls, but around you he is more flirty or more shy (basically any change in comparison to other girls), he probably likes you.

If you are in a group setting and you say that you want to go out to eat, and he immediately agrees (or any other situation of the sort), even if it isn't a popular suggestion, he probably likes you.

If he asks for you two to be alone (maybe not even directly. It could be "hey, let's grab lunch. Hey, let's work on this together, etc) then he probably likes you.

I've always been able to feel the "vibe" they give me. It's a feeling I get. From the way they look at me to how they say "hello". I can't really explain it but i always know if a guy likes me by his "vibe".
    If you like Dota, PM me for my steamID

People are my religion and I believe in them.
    I have faith in my fellow man and I only hope that he has faith in me
    - Andrew Jackson Jihad

Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise is perfect light
    For I know the stars too fondly to be frightened of the night.

i can usually tell by the way they look at you. if they pay any extra attention to you compare to other girls, they like you.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...