Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How long can baby formula sit out before it goes bad?

If we heat up a bottle for him and he takes half of it, how long can it sit out before it goes bad. Can it sit out for 4 or 5 hours? Should we refrigerate it? If so, is it ok to reheat it? How many times can it be reheated? I was trying to find answers on the Similac website and I couldnt find any.

Anyone know??

I always threw it away after an hour or two at the most.......I guess I was always nervous that the stuff was just gonna rot up in tiny curds.....LOL
    I shared my spare on Feb 4th. Ask me about living kidney donation.

Not long. Once the baby takes part of the bottle you have bacteria in there from his mouth. I would not re-use the formula once the baby has started on the bottle. Now if you just take a 10-15 minute break during the feeding that's fine, but once the feeding is done then throw away the unused formula.

This is from infantformula.org

Should I Reheat A Bottle After Feeding Part Of It To My Baby?

No. Once a baby has nursed from a bottle, microorganisms from the baby's mouth are introduced into the formula. If any unused portion of formula is refrigerated and reheated, these microorganisms will have the opportunity to multiply. Neither refrigeration nor reheating will prevent this growth. Therefore, you should fill each bottle with only the amount of formula needed for one feeding. After feeding, if any formula remains unused in the bottle, it should be discarded.
    You can make the world a better place - one person at a time.

You can sit it out/refrigerate for up to 4 hours for extracted breastmilk, so we did the same for formula.

Quote Originally Posted by avman View Post
    Not long. Once the baby takes part of the bottle you have bacteria in there from his mouth. I would not re-use the formula once the baby has started on the bottle. Now if you just take a 10-15 minute break during the feeding that's fine, but once the feeding is done then throw away the unused formula.

This is from infantformula.org

Should I Reheat A Bottle After Feeding Part Of It To My Baby?

No. Once a baby has nursed from a bottle, microorganisms from the baby's mouth are introduced into the formula. If any unused portion of formula is refrigerated and reheated, these microorganisms will have the opportunity to multiply. Neither refrigeration nor reheating will prevent this growth. Therefore, you should fill each bottle with only the amount of formula needed for one feeding. After feeding, if any formula remains unused in the bottle, it should be discarded.
    eeeks........I never knew that and I raised a bunch of young ones! Good to know in the unlikely event I ever have to use formula again!... Thanks
    I shared my spare on Feb 4th. Ask me about living kidney donation.

Well I think it's a bit paranoid. There's not going to be an army of bacteria built up in the bottle after 30 minutes, but I would not keep the bottles for a day.

Eeeek! Wow....good thing I asked. We will give him an 8 ounce bottle and when he stops after 5 to 6 ounces, we leave it out and then give him the rest 4 or 5 hours later. We havent had any problems but sometimes, he wont take it. Yet if we heat up a fresh bottle he will take that. It just got me wondering if we were doing something wrong. I guess we are! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
    Eeeek! Wow....good thing I asked. We will give him an 8 ounce bottle and when he stops after 5 to 6 ounces, we leave it out and then give him the rest 4 or 5 hours later. We havent had any problems but sometimes, he wont take it. Yet if we heat up a fresh bottle he will take that. It just got me wondering if we were doing something wrong. I guess we are! lol
    If he refuses to take the bottle then yes it might be a sign you need a new one. If you haven't reheated the bottle, it's possible he just doesn't want to drink it cold either.

I really would not give him the remainder 4-5 hours later. That's a whole new feeding. Just start making 6 ounce bottles for the first feeding and then make up a nice fresh one of 4-6 ounces for the feeding in 4-5 hours.
    You can make the world a better place - one person at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by avman View Post
    I really would not give him the remainder 4-5 hours later. That's a whole new feeding. Just start making 6 ounce bottles for the first feeding and then make up a nice fresh one of 4-6 ounces for the feeding in 4-5 hours.
    Yeah I think that's what we'll have to start doing. I switched bottles from the playtex nursers with the liners to the Playtex Vent Air. He wont take any nipples other than the big playtex ones, and we're trying to stop him from spitting up so much. He doesnt spit up a whole lot, but I got two of the Vent Air bottles and used them while using the nursers and he spits up less with them. I got the 9 ounce bottles as he is taking 5 to 6 ounces at a time now and using the 4 ounce bottles isnt enough, but using the 9 ouncers is too much! Ugh! I guess instead of filling the bottles up, we can make 6 ounces at a time so that we dont waste so much formula. That stuff is expensive. I got to breastfeed for his first week, but then I had some complications from my c-section and had to take meds that would have hurt him thru my milk. So now we are stuck with expensive formula. He and I both miss breastfeeding. He still latches on through my shirts!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
For the new generation of children social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are among the most common activities and, in ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Adult men who had their parents divorced before they turned 18 are at a significantly higher risk of suffering a stroke when compared to men whose ...
by David B. Van Heemst
Based on the latest research and his personal experience as the father of five daughters, author David B. Van Heemst details what a father must do in ...