How far in advance is TOO far to apply for jobs?

I've been at my current job for almost seven months, but I'm planning to move (2hrs away) in late August. Now, I have another job lined up for summer which requires me to be on-site Sun-Thur evenings.

The issue I'm running into is that I need to apply for jobs in the city I'm moving to and I'm sooo tempted to just start applying to jobs now...even though I can't start until after August 18th.

On a normal basis, yeah, applying for jobs 2+ months in advance seems silly, but considering the economy...maybe I should?

Or am I seriously jumping the gun here?

Or should I just apply for jobs but clearly state that while I'm able to drive up for interviews, I won't be able to start until mid-August?

I think it's fine to think ahead if you specify that you can't start right away.

The only problem you might run into is that I think most employers advertise when they are ACTIVELY hiring and want someone relatively soon.

Trying can't hurt though.

I don't think 2 months in advance is silly.

I used to have to do that as a student and now, unless you are targeting retail, fast food etc.. type of jobs.

The whole process of sending the resumé, waiting for the contest to close, having 1-2 interviews, signing the letter of offer, having them set you up... it usually takes me a good 2-3 months.

I don't think it's too early to start applying. I agree that the whole process from start to finish can take a few months, at least. Plus, employers usually expect to wait at least two weeks, and often longer, because employees in any responsible position are expected to give notice--often four to eight weeks, depending upon the position. I would also suggest sending resumes to places you'd like to work, even if there is not a present opening. You never know what might open up, and the timing might work in your favor.

Archived