Losing weight and lack of appetite? I'm concerned.

I'm concerned about my health. I've always been a very skinny guy, I'm about 6'1 weighing about 145 lbs. Lately people have been telling me that I've been losing weight and that I am very skinny which is scary because I've always been a skinny guy anyway, so to lose more weight is making me worried. Also my appetite has decreased tremendously over the last couple of months. Some days I may eat something as simple as a banana and not eat anything else for the rest of the day. I really don't have much of an appetite..

Also I'm not very active but I need to be. I don't really exercise much and I need to get more into that. I've just been feeling very sluggish and lazy about everything. My energy is very drained. I also get tired very easily.. Does anyone know ways to increase my appetite and put on more healthy weight?

i agree going to the doctors should be top on your list.

another thing to think about is parasites you may have picked up if you travel.

as for your tiredness, really thats almost a self-fufilling prophecy. if you dont exercise you cant 'release' energy. which is why its common for people who do nothing all day to feel 'exhausted' at the end of the day, and a person who did alot of work to be quite upbeat.

on top of that you arent getting essential vitamins like the B's to help your energy levels, and you arent consuming enough calories to sustain your bodily needs. so of course.. you are losing weight.

its stemming from your lack of appetite.

Yeah I do.

It is going to be hard for you though. You are at a dangerous point in your life as far as health goes but you can pull through it.

What you need to do is force yourself to engage in some kind of physical activity. MAKE IT LIGHT for now though. You do not have any nutrients in your body so if you over do it, you can really hurt yourself.

I would suggest that you go to your local grocery store and buy a few protein drinks. I really like the taste of Myoplex. Get the big ones. They have 46 grams of protein and a lot of vitamins. You need to put something into your body before you get physical. Then try to get on a stationary bike or go for a fast paced walk for about 15 minutes. By doing this, you will get an appetite from the workout. You will feel better and you will not be so tired. I have learned that the more you work out or the more you engage in physical activities, the more energy you have and the hungrier you are.

Try to slowly break yourself into this and eventually you will be eating a sufficiant amount of food to start gaining weight. That and with the excersize, you will gain GOOD weight.

Just take it slow though. You wan to get to the point to where you are eating at least 5 times a day (snack size portions that is).

Hope this helps. Today is the first day of your recovery and to a healthy life. So be HAPPY!

Good luck to you!

Andrew

How is your mental health? Are you depressed perhaps?

Avaitormy suggestions are good - you need to get some calories into you. however, you need to find out why this is happening too.

I am under a great deal of stress in my life about a lot of things so I guess that can be added to the lack of appetite again. It seems like even trying to eat more is basically forcing myself which isn't good.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect a thread that's a few days old.

Will you go and see a doctor please? It could well be nothing, but unintentional weight loss can be a bad sign, particularly seeing as you're frequently tired.

Have you noticed any sweating at night?

Archived