can i eat before a blood test?

I've had instances where the Dr scheduled blood tests for me but didn't say anything about eating or not eating. Then I go to the get the blood tests at like 1pm & the phlebotomist says "you haven't eaten anything right?" Coincidentally I hadn't, really.

I would say you are probably not supposed to eat. But call back and check!

You're not supposed to eat at least 8 hours before your blood test, no matter what they're testing for.

But you just wrote this

diabetes = sugar levels, they can't know without your food intake...but most test require you not to eat, such as testing for infectious diseases and so forth.

the point of not eating is not to have your blood obscured with what you just ate.

Like most have said, call to be sure.

Which contradicts this...

i'm getting a blood test next week and nothing was explained to me i think that it's to see if i have anemia or diabetes but i'm not shure what kind of tests they are' date=' can i eat before and if i can't how long can i not eat before?[/quote']

And she IS getting tested for diabetes.

But, honestly...not to knock on you OP...this question was better suited for your test lab then us...

yeah i know, thought i might try here though, i went yesterday and i'm pretty shure they are running all the blood tests my mum is doing a nursing course and she said not to not eat depending on the test

looking back on this thread, I don't think we were that helpful. Anyone with actual medical background in here?

Yes; Hope75 is an RN. She said this:

It depends on the test. Call the lab and find out what their policies are.

Well I'm a Medical Technologist... the one that actually does the testing. A CBC tests for anemia.. .no fasting needed there. A FASTING GLUCOSE is one parameter used for determing diabetes... and yes, you will need an 8 hour fast for that one. If you can tell me the specific test ordered, I might be able to help more.

Well I'm a Medical Technologist... the one that actually does the testing. A CBC tests for anemia.. .no fasting needed there. A FASTING GLUCOSE is one parameter used for determing diabetes... and yes, you will need an 8 hour fast for that one. If you can tell me the specific test ordered, I might be able to help more.

Thats the thing i'm not even sure what tests i'm having, i went to the doctors to voice concerns about my symptoms in my over thread, and she said just to get a blood test ordered, so if i can i would like one for anemia and diebetes,

Archived