Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can i eat before a blood test?

i'm getting a blood test next week and nothing was explained to me i think that it's to see if i have anemia or diabetes but i'm not shure what kind of tests they are, can i eat before and if i can't how long can i not eat before?

Platinum Member
    You should definitely call and ask. It won't matter for the anemia, but if you're getting tested for diabetes they probably want it to be fasting. Check to make sure.

I've had instances where the Dr scheduled blood tests for me but didn't say anything about eating or not eating. Then I go to the get the blood tests at like 1pm & the phlebotomist says "you haven't eaten anything right?" Coincidentally I hadn't, really.

I would say you are probably not supposed to eat. But call back and check!

Platinum Member
    Usually you are supposed to fast for 12 hours.

I would call the doctor's office or the lab you will be going to for the blood work.
    Each test is different and require different preparations, if any.
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

You're my back bone. You're my cornerstone.
    You're my crutch when my legs stop moving.
    You're my head start. You're my rugged heart.
    You're the pulse that I've always needed.
    Like a drum, baby, don't stop beating.

Quote Originally Posted by p3rf3ctsp3cim3n View Post
    You're not supposed to eat at least 8 hours before your blood test, no matter what they're testing for.
    That's not true, it depends on the test. Call the lab and find out what their policies are.
    Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 6-25-09. :) AND a beautiful baby boy born 6-14-11. :)

Baby # 2 forever missed lost 6-3-10.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
    Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
    ~author unknown

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat"
    ~ Malcolm Forbes

I didn't eat anything b4 I went in to be tested for diabetes, and the doc told me that I needed to come back after I ate something so he could see how my body used it...
    I would def call and ask them.
    Don't dwell on what went wrong, Instead focus on who to punch first

You're not supposed to eat at least 8 hours before your blood test, no matter what they're testing for.
    But you just wrote this
    diabetes = sugar levels, they can't know without your food intake...but most test require you not to eat, such as testing for infectious diseases and so forth.

the point of not eating is not to have your blood obscured with what you just ate.

Like most have said, call to be sure.
    Which contradicts this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tMindMe View Post
    i'm getting a blood test next week and nothing was explained to me i think that it's to see if i have anemia or diabetes but i'm not shure what kind of tests they are, can i eat before and if i can't how long can i not eat before?
    And she IS getting tested for diabetes.
    Don't dwell on what went wrong, Instead focus on who to punch first

But, honestly...not to knock on you OP...this question was better suited for your test lab then us...
    yeah i know, thought i might try here though, i went yesterday and i'm pretty shure they are running all the blood tests my mum is doing a nursing course and she said not to not eat depending on the test

There's tests where it doesn't matter. They will make you drink this really high-sugar drink (think a bad pop) and then test you exactly one hour after the drink.

•  

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Related Articles & Books
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...