Thread: Is unrequited love always hopeless?

Is unrequited love always hopeless?

Hello,

Long story short, I fell in love with someone. She knows how I feel, but only wants to be friends.

It's probably best to move on in a situation like this, but is there a glimpse of hope? I'm having a tough time accepting this, as would probably anyone in my situation. Should I still try to be friends? Should I hope that the other person will eventually feel the same way? Or would it be best to lose all connection with the other person?

Best to lose all connection and walk away with your dignity in tact. Otherwise, you'll only dangle around degrading yourself, and that's a thousand times worse to recover from.

We never get any wasted time back. If this woman is given the opportunity to miss you while you retain your self-respect, then she knows how to contact you.

That's something you can keep in your pocket as you grieve for a time and then start taking baby steps toward healing and rebuilding a new focus. Otherwise, you'll only hang around seeking scraps of attention from her, and that's dismal--and it certainly won't inspire her to view you as love material.

In your corner.

In one way, I want to do what you said, but things are a little bit more complicated.

I am taking classes with her in the community college that I am attending, so it will be impossible for me to totally ignore her presence. Plus, after class, I would always walk with her to the parking lot. Should I walk out by myself as if we never did that? I don't want to seem like I am mad at her or something, since that isn't the case. But I would certainly want to forget about her.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
If you pretend to be in love with someone and act as if you find them attractive, or otherwise imitate the behaviors associated with being in love, ...
On the Way to the Wedding: Transforming the Love Relationship
by Linda Schierse Leonard
Ever since I can remember I've longed for a soulmate. I was never particularly interested in marriage itself since my parents' marriage was so ...
Creating Love: A New Way of Understanding Our Most Important Relationships
by John Bradshaw
Fifty years ago we entered a new, as yet nameless era. The judges at the Nuremberg trials dealt patriarchy a mortal blow when they ruled that ...