Is Benadryl good for throat swelling

Apparently I have eaten something that I am allergic to. I'm not sure what though. My throat feels funny like the uvula (the little pear shaped thing that hangs at the back of your throat) is swollen and my throat is swollen a bit.

All I had tonight was some salsa and chips and bread and baba gannoush. Not sure what is causing it.

My throat just feels funny and it's a bit hard to swallow. I have some Benadryl around and wonder if I take it, will it stop the swelling in my throat?

I'm ok, just feeling funny when swallowing and when I look at my throat with a flashlight and mirror, it seems the uvula is a bit swollen. When I swallow, I feel like I have a lump in my throat.

Or is this something that I would need to go to Urgent Care for?

The only time that ever happened to me was when i ingested a dried hot pepper in chinese food, the same kind that are often in salsa...so that is a possiblity.

Benadryl should help. IF it swells enough to inhibit breathing or swallowing to a great extent go to the ER because it could worsen in short notice and not give you time to get there before becoming fatal.

ILMBC, actually I am sick right now. I have a cold. But even with colds I never really get the feeling of lump in my throat when swallowing, or a swollen uvula. That usually comes with allergic reactions to food.

But you may be right, this could all be part of my cold.

I also cleaned the guinea pig cages tonight which creates a lot of dust and dander. I am running the air cleaner right now to filter it out.

Sometimes I wonder if my allergies to my guinea pigs (which I have lived with for the last 13 years) has exaerbated my allergic reactions to things.

Archived