Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rethinking the Walk Away Wife Syndrome

Arrow Rethinking the Walk Away Wife Syndrome

Reading through everyone's stories, imagining everyone's pain, I understand that it is a very difficult life event for a woman to walk away from a marriage (termed as "Walk Away Wife" Syndrome). I just wanted to share a personal story that might add a little more perspective to the discussion.

My sister and her husband had been married for ten years. They met in college, dated for three years, and got married when they graduated at age 21. They divorced about 6 months ago. I overheard my ex-brother in law referring to the situation as exemplifying the "Walk Away Wife" Syndrome and that was a real surprise to me.

From his perspective, things were going well. They have two little boys (5 and 3), a house, and a steady life. He didn't really understand what was so bad about the marriage, that he treated her very well (perhaps too well), and thought that it could have been worked out.

Now, my sister's perspective was VASTLY different. They had actually spent a couple of years in marital counselling where she asked him to take on more responsibilities around the house (without being nagged) and he didn't keep up with that. She stated, and the counsellor agreed, that he was pretty emotionally unavailable. He didn't have much to say for the most part and it took him days to process his feelings/discuss any issues. He never acted passionate/interested in her but he did open stare at other women in restaurants and on family outings. In fact, he had set up a trip to have an affair with another woman, a trip about which he had of course lied to my sister about for months. He decided to cancel the trip and told her the truth. And she was HUGELY upset. Unfortunately, he couldn't understand why she was angry since he had not gone through with it and told her about it.

At first she filed for Separation and then tried to work on issues. When she felt there was no change, she filed for Divorce. Now my sister, who had always seemed very prim and proper, seems to have emerged from her shell. She's not a partier by any means, but she does have girls nights once a week and is much more social/verbal than she had been in the past. She is more open with her sexuality and a more confident person.

Now I am not saying that she's typical of the so-called Walk Away Wife. She tried counselling for years. She tried to work on the marriage. And she certainly did not cheat, become a 'party girl' or abandon her family. She has just discovered new sides to herself. She changed careers, from nursing to teaching, and remains the primary caregiver of the children. I am very happy about the fact that they are still cordial and had zero drama with the divorce, child support settlements.

As she and I have discussed the situation, some main points come to mind:

-She had unmet needs (for romance, attention, support around the house, and more responsibility from him)
    -She communicated those needs and they remained unmet
    -She had to become the 'in charge' one as he's admittedly always been passive about everything
    -They were unable to communicate honestly and intimately with each other
    -She lost respect for him
    -She fell out of love for him

This was years in the making and, mostly, it was a process that happened in silence. There were MAJOR hints, but he didn't hear them. So when she asked for the divorce, she was seriously done.

She tells me she wishes she had dated more as she has grown so much through the years and through raising kids. Once she had the kids and became a mom her priorities changed. Additionally, she realizes that she settled with him. It was more about getting married to a 'good enough' man than Mr. Right.

Perhaps this will resonate. Perhaps not. Just my thoughts.

I think this sounds more like an unhappy marriage and proceeding divorce than a "Walk Away Wife".

I opened this b/c my husand's mother left the family with no notice when he was a child, my husband has forgiven her as only a child can forgive their parent but I never will.

What put into your head that your sister was a "walk away wife"?

I get the feeling that this post was in reaction to something hurtful you heard about your sister...
    "Does no one cry here, either? I suppose there's no need to, in heaven" Age of Innocence

Good post. I believe one person can ruin a marriage but it takes two to keep it going. it's very rarely the fault of one person alone though. People usually walk away for a reason, and there are often many warning signs before it happens.
    Your attitude determines your altitude.

Maybe that is what your ex-brother-in-law is telling himself and telling other people in order to make himself look and feel better. "Its not my fault, I provided her with everything and she walked away from me!"

You can`t really do anything about it though...
    How to spot a loser and understanding the abused victim:

http://www.drjoecarver.com/3/miscellaneous2.htm

Excellent articles!

Sounds about what my wife was going through in my marriage. She tried to tell me on many occasions, but I didnt listen. Then she cheated on me. And I dont really blame her although I dont agree with what she did. Im kind of thankfull for that though because it was a huge wake up call for me. Through the days following her revealing her affair to me I did a lot of self reflection as well as her telling me how I was not there. And she was right.

Although I did a lot of things around the house like all the cooking and some cleaning, when the kids went to bed, I went downstairs to the basement and played video games. And this went on for years. I became anti-social, I never wanted to do anything for her and I was only nice to her when I wanted sex. Rest of the time I was angry, and i didnt even know why.

After her revealing the affair I went to the doctors. I could not sleep, no appetite, I started to lose weight and had trouble concentrating at work. So he prescribed an anti-depressant, Zoloft to be exact. And man, what a difference. I started to become happy again, I quit the games and really started to be there for her. We spend all of our evenings together now.

Its been like 3 months since I found out and thank god she decided to give me another chance. She tells me now that she is falling in love with me again, that Im acting like I acted 10 yrs ago, when we were dating. I give her massages, we sit by the fire and just enjoy our company. Our sex life has never been better. We both please each other and she actually has desire to have sex with me now. Something that was also missing for years. We also started to go out together. Something that I have not done with her in a long time. We go to dinner, go dancing, and have a blast together, just like before. Im so happy now, its like we found each other all over again. Im sometimes even nervous around her like I was when we were dating.

Granted, she did cheat on me and sometimes my mind gets flooded with thoughts and emotions. and its hard for me to totally trust her again. But I did forgive her for it. It was a mistake on her part, and like I said, I didnt help the situation at all. she told me that she basically wrote me off and that she thought it was over. She told me that by her telling me she expected me to leave and never look back. She never expected a change to occur in the way I treated her. But I had to change for myself and her. Because you dont really know what you have until you're about to lose it.

Hi MollyElise,

I think you missed the part where I said: "I overheard my ex-brother in law referring to the situation as exemplifying the "Walk Away Wife" Syndrome and that was a real surprise to me."

I am just saying that not everyone sees that term that same way.

I think that everything's worked out for the best and I have no ill will or bad feelings towards him whatsoever. I hope he finds someone again, and I'm sure he will. I hope the same for my sister!

Quote Originally Posted by MollyElise View Post
    I think this sounds more like an unhappy marriage and proceeding divorce than a "Walk Away Wife".
    My thoughts exactly.

I think its interesting that women's behavior seems to be labelled with the word "syndrome" as if we have some sort of disorder or disease.

What do we call it when men divorce, "Found a more willing woman syndrome?" lol
    Look for the good in yourself and others, it will change your life.

10. 03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ready2heal View Post
    I think its interesting that women's behavior seems to be labelled with the word "syndrome" as if we have some sort of disorder or disease.

What do we call it when men divorce, "Found a more willing woman syndrome?" lol
    Actually the term given by counselors is "Walkaway Spouse Syndrome" for it does happen with men.

Syndrome does not have to viewed with the negative connotations as implied here. It can be seen a pattern of behavior or having common threads.
    John Bendix is the author of Walking Away from Divorce into Awareness

When I think of the term walk away wife I think of a wife (or husband) who wants out of the marriage because they feel that their needs are not met EVEN if the husband wants to make things right. The typical walk away wife will want out no matter what the other party says or does to improve...nothing is ever good enough and they are not willing to give the other spouse a chance to improve. They just want out.

As for your sister and her husband......he had it coming. Sounds like she was doing the right things with counseling and all but things were just not improving.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...