herbal tea: good or bad?

i drink a lot of herbal tea (various types like green tea, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peppermint, apple cinnamon, tranquilizing tea for sleep, as well as regular lipton or earl grey tea in the morning). i keep hearing and reading that there are a lot of health benefits to drinking herbal tea, with different kinds of herbal tea having different effects. one example is that green tea helps with weight loss, but i don't know whether that's fact or myth. for me there has seemed to be a correlation losing a lot of weight recently and my having started drinking a lot of green tea, and that's why i dont' stop drinking it. aside from that though, do you know of any other health benefits or risks associated with herbal tea? is there such a thing as too much of it?

When I switched from coffee to green tea in the morning (no sugar) I noticed this helped with some weight loss. If you have 50lbs to lose however, this won't help much. But overall it is better for health and it definitely has caffeine if you are looking for a morning coffee replacement. I don't let green tea steep for too long otherwise it tastes rather bitter and smells like socks. ew.

I drink a lot of tea too - especially at night (chamomile or mint) which is way better than eating stuff because you're bored.

So overall I think it is good for you because you are consuming more water, but probably doesn't beat regular broccoli consumption.

With herbal teas, there probably isn't a "too much" level. If you're drinking a medicinal herbal tea, however, you should do so with the instructions of a doctor/ healer--yes, there can be too much medicinal tea.

From what it sounds like, though, you're drinking regular old chamomile or mint tea. Drink away. It's delicious and encourages you to stay hydrated.

If you're drinking green tea, be conscious of how much caffeine you're consuming. Everything in moderation.

In total, I drink more tea than water. Probably two (large) mugs of green tea per day, and at least two (large) mugs of herbal tea.

I love tea! Do you have a favorite?

YS

thanks both of you. i was a little concerned because i'd read somewhere about having too much of some herbal teas could increase one's risk of certain cancers -maybe certain types of tea, i have to read up more.

as for green tea, i don't drink it straight up because yes it is bitter. i like flavored green tea. i also like chamomile tea before bed, and most of the tea i drink is decaf except for some caffeinated regular tea first thing in the morning (not a coffee fan myself except for the occasional latte). i drink about anywhere from 2-5 mugs of herbal tea each day.

I love tea! Do you have a favorite?

YS

oh wow i have a whole cupboard full of them.... flavored green tea, spearmint, peppermint, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peach, apple cinnamon.... i think i'd have to say my favorite at the moment is the spearmint very refreshing.

i drink a lot of herbal tea (various types like green tea, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peppermint, apple cinnamon, tranquilizing tea for sleep, as well as regular lipton or earl grey tea in the morning). i keep hearing and reading that there are a lot of health benefits to drinking herbal tea, with different kinds of herbal tea having different effects. one example is that green tea helps with weight loss, but i don't know whether that's fact or myth. for me there has seemed to be a correlation losing a lot of weight recently and my having started drinking a lot of green tea, and that's why i dont' stop drinking it. aside from that though, do you know of any other health benefits or risks associated with herbal tea? is there such a thing as too much of it?

Yes there is such a thing as too much from what I've heard/read.

I know some people drink like 3 cups of green tea a day.

My bf's mom was in the hospital and had constipation problems. She later told us it was due to green tea. If you drink something constantly your body gets used to it and begins to depend on it. So now she has to continue drinking it to stay regular.

Weight loss teas aren't good either. I've been told they can mess up your intertestines/the natural way they work. Not sure how.

oh wow i have a whole cupboard full of them.... flavored green tea, spearmint, peppermint, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peach, apple cinnamon.... i think i'd have to say my favorite at the moment is the spearmint very refreshing.

If you're drinking a variety of them, then I think it's unlikely that you're getting too much of any one thing (unless there are some teas that, chemically, are very similar).

YS

Yes there is such a thing as too much from what I've heard/read.

I know some people drink like 3 cups of green tea a day.

My bf's mom was in the hospital and had constipation problems. She later told us it was due to green tea. If you drink something constantly your body gets used to it and begins to depend on it. So now she has to continue drinking it to stay regular.

Weight loss teas aren't good either. I've been told they can mess up your intertestines/the natural way they work. Not sure how.

ya that was the other thing i was worried about. i guess it goes along with the whole "everything in moderation" saying.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

in a lot of ways we might get more benefit from a good organic tea than from a vitamin pill.We are getting the benefits of hydration.There 's the social element.Tea is something that you can share with people.and when you are drinking herbal tea you get aromatherapy at the same time and that's something you don't get from a tablet.

Archived