Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member misspeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    98
    Gender
    Female

    herbal tea: good or bad?

    i drink a lot of herbal tea (various types like green tea, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peppermint, apple cinnamon, tranquilizing tea for sleep, as well as regular lipton or earl grey tea in the morning). i keep hearing and reading that there are a lot of health benefits to drinking herbal tea, with different kinds of herbal tea having different effects. one example is that green tea helps with weight loss, but i don't know whether that's fact or myth. for me there has seemed to be a correlation losing a lot of weight recently and my having started drinking a lot of green tea, and that's why i dont' stop drinking it. aside from that though, do you know of any other health benefits or risks associated with herbal tea? is there such a thing as too much of it?

  2. #2
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    397
    Gender
    Female
    When I switched from coffee to green tea in the morning (no sugar) I noticed this helped with some weight loss. If you have 50lbs to lose however, this won't help much. But overall it is better for health and it definitely has caffeine if you are looking for a morning coffee replacement. I don't let green tea steep for too long otherwise it tastes rather bitter and smells like socks. ew.

    I drink a lot of tea too - especially at night (chamomile or mint) which is way better than eating stuff because you're bored.

    So overall I think it is good for you because you are consuming more water, but probably doesn't beat regular broccoli consumption.

  3. #3
    Gold Member yellow_sweater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    914
    Gender
    Female
    With herbal teas, there probably isn't a "too much" level. If you're drinking a medicinal herbal tea, however, you should do so with the instructions of a doctor/ healer--yes, there can be too much medicinal tea.

    From what it sounds like, though, you're drinking regular old chamomile or mint tea. Drink away. It's delicious and encourages you to stay hydrated.

    If you're drinking green tea, be conscious of how much caffeine you're consuming. Everything in moderation.

    In total, I drink more tea than water. Probably two (large) mugs of green tea per day, and at least two (large) mugs of herbal tea.

    I love tea! Do you have a favorite?

    YS

  4. #4
    Member misspeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    98
    Gender
    Female
    thanks both of you. i was a little concerned because i'd read somewhere about having too much of some herbal teas could increase one's risk of certain cancers -maybe certain types of tea, i have to read up more.

    as for green tea, i don't drink it straight up because yes it is bitter. i like flavored green tea. i also like chamomile tea before bed, and most of the tea i drink is decaf except for some caffeinated regular tea first thing in the morning (not a coffee fan myself except for the occassional latte). i drink about anywhere from 2-5 mugs of herbal tea each day.

    Quote Originally Posted by yellow_sweater View Post

    I love tea! Do you have a favorite?

    YS
    oh wow i have a whole cupboard full of them.... flavored green tea, spearmint, peppermint, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peach, apple cinnamon.... i think i'd have to say my favorite at the moment is the spearmint very refreshing.

  5.  

  6. #5
    Platinum Member Alezia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,099
    I'd just try to drink decaffeinated ones for your mint / camomile herbal teas. Elsewise, I think you're ok. I love Chai teas with heated milk!!!

  7. #6
    Platinum Member JeckyllNHyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,415
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by misspeanut View Post
    i drink a lot of herbal tea (various types like green tea, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peppermint, apple cinnamon, tranquilizing tea for sleep, as well as regular lipton or earl grey tea in the morning). i keep hearing and reading that there are a lot of health benefits to drinking herbal tea, with different kinds of herbal tea having different effects. one example is that green tea helps with weight loss, but i don't know whether that's fact or myth. for me there has seemed to be a correlation losing a lot of weight recently and my having started drinking a lot of green tea, and that's why i dont' stop drinking it. aside from that though, do you know of any other health benefits or risks associated with herbal tea? is there such a thing as too much of it?
    Yes there is such a thing as too much from what I've heard/read.
    I know some people drink like 3 cups of green tea a day.

    My bf's mom was in the hospital and had constipation problems. She later told us it was due to green tea. If you drink something constantly your body gets used to it and begins to depend on it. So now she has to continue drinking it to stay regular.

    Weight loss teas aren't good either. I've been told they can mess up your intertestines/the natural way they work. Not sure how.
    You're just too good to be true... Can't take my eyes off of you...

  8. #7
    Gold Member yellow_sweater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    914
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by misspeanut View Post
    oh wow i have a whole cupboard full of them.... flavored green tea, spearmint, peppermint, chamomile, lemon, ginger, peach, apple cinnamon.... i think i'd have to say my favorite at the moment is the spearmint very refreshing.
    If you're drinking a variety of them, then I think it's unlikely that you're getting too much of any one thing (unless there are some teas that, chemically, are very similar).
    YS

  9. #8
    Member misspeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    98
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by JeckyllNHyde View Post
    Yes there is such a thing as too much from what I've heard/read.
    I know some people drink like 3 cups of green tea a day.

    My bf's mom was in the hospital and had constipation problems. She later told us it was due to green tea. If you drink something constantly your body gets used to it and begins to depend on it. So now she has to continue drinking it to stay regular.

    Weight loss teas aren't good either. I've been told they can mess up your intertestines/the natural way they work. Not sure how.
    ya that was the other thing i was worried about. i guess it goes along with the whole "everything in moderation" saying.

  10. #9
    Well, I think that is good for the health. Like another person, it is much better to take the herbal tea than the medicine. They're so many benefits can get the herbal tea.

    _________________

  11. #10
    Platinum Member FathomFear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,655
    Gender
    Male
    I drink quite a bit of hibiscus tea. I find it helps with lowering my blood pressure.

  12. 09-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...
 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Expert Advice

Online
CallChat
$3/minute
Non-judgmental, compassionate professional ready to listen and help! ASK ABOUT SCHEDULED HYPNOTHERAPY SESSIONS! Change your life!
Online
CallChat
$1.75/minute
Masters in Professional Counseling and 25+ years experience in helping people find emotional healing solutions.
Online
Call
$2.75/minute
Licensed Professional Counselor & therapist. Pain management, anxiety, depression, holistic health. 30 yrs.experience.
Online
CallChat
$2.75/minute
With my 25 years as a licensed psychotherapist, I can help you with your mental health and medication concerns.
Online
CallChat
$2.75/minute
I can help with psychological and sexual health issues. I can also tell you if a treatment for a health problem has strong or weak scientific support.