Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does "happy valentines day" from the ex really mean anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ideal View Post
    I've read a few posts about dumpees receiving or waiting to receive a "happy valentines day" message from the dumper. My ex (the dumper) sent a message last night at like 1 am saying "Happy Valentines Day"...Just curious, does it really mean anything when the dumper sends the dumpee this kinda message ?
    what do you want it to mean?? if they know it's over and know what "having hope" feels like and how much it hurts, why on EARTH would they want to put you through that????? It seems selfish and super immature.

SHOULD they feel like some type of reconciliation is something they want, they should contact you and meet with you and open heartedly talk to you.

man, people are so friggin' immature!!!!

lol I was sad that my ex didn,t send me anything , and I just realised that it is becasue he s NICE that he didn't.

Fake it til you make it!

Gold Member
    To be honest, no. I don't think it means anything. Everybody sends a simple 'Happy Valentine's Day' message to everybody else these days, regardless of intimacy or relationship.

3. 02-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Platinum Member
    Well I got a Happy Valentines Day all! through group email sent by my ex pertaining to a business reason.....since it was sent to 8 other people beside me, including several men, I know it means nothing!

Nope, they're just throwing you a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by lost! View Post
    To be honest, no. I don't think it means anything. Everybody sends a simple 'Happy Valentine's Day' message to everybody else these days, regardless of intimacy or relationship.
    I sure did.

At one place I worked I shared an office with a male colleague. He was about 10-15 years older than I and was married and had a child. We had a good working relationship and used to joke around and chat. One year on Valentine's Day he put a chocolate on my desk as a Happy Valentine's Day. It certainly wasn't a romantic gesture, it was just a fun gesture in the spirit of the day...kind of like how many people dress in green on St. Patrick's Day even if they are not Irish. It just becomes something to celebrate in the spirit of good fun.
    "A word to the kind: when I sense I'm hurting someone, I am. The fact that someone would be weak enough to tolerate that from me doesn't make me less responsible for my actions, it makes me more responsible". Catfeeder

9. 02-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misskitty16 View Post
    We are talking about an ex here. It is my belief (and experience) that most ex's prefer to AVOID contact unless they still have some residual feeling or hope to reconcile.

Now, I am by no means saying it means a dumper wants to reconcile. Just that you are in their thoughts and everything they feel for you is not dead and gone.
    Actually, I find it is just the opposite.

The ones that respect you leave you alone and do not contact you. They also do not contact to save their own feelings.

The ones that don't care will keep you dragging along. The text is just a fun game for them.
    If you like Dota, PM me for my steamID

People are my religion and I believe in them.
    I have faith in my fellow man and I only hope that he has faith in me
    - Andrew Jackson Jihad

Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise is perfect light
    For I know the stars too fondly to be frightened of the night.

11. 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Gold Member
    Yes, it means something. If someone had no feelings for you whatsoever, they would not bother sending it. They wouldn't even make contact.

Actually, no, they don't.
    My friends all send me Happy Valentine's Day messages ad I'm not in intimate relationships with them, and my colleagues from work sent me Happy Valentine's Day e-mails just to be friendly... this is what I was getting at.

13. 02-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Gold Member
    I understand. The difference here for OP is that this was not a friend or colleague. It was an ex.

I see a text message of any kind (or email, phone call, etc) to an ex (unless it is for practical matters or kids, etc) as "reaching out", unless the two have been friends since the breakup and have remained in contact, which I don't think is OP's case.

Did you contact any ex's to wish them happy V-day? I didn't.
    This is definitely true, you're right. But I think it depends on the circumstance. If it was just a message that send something like "Happy Valentine's Day!" it could have been a mass-message sent to all of their friends. I know heaps of people do things like this. But if it was more personalised towards the OP... then you're right - it could most definitely be a way of reaching out and possibly means something...

Quote Originally Posted by lost! View Post
    This is definitely true, you're right. But I think it depends on the circumstance. If it was just a message that send something like "Happy Valentine's Day!" it could have been a mass-message sent to all of their friends. I know heaps of people do things like this. But if it was more personalised towards the OP... then you're right - it could most definitely be a way of reaching out and possibly means something...
    It was an IM, not a text, so it wasn't a mass message.

Also, MIsskitty, apart of me hopes you're right about him reaching out, but I guess it would be better to just not think much of it because I tend to get disappointed every time he brings my hopes up. If he was reaching out, then hopefully he will find a more effective method, if not, then I hope that was the end of it.

16. 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...