Discrimination against introverts in the workplace

Do you think introverts are discriminated against in the workplace, both in terms of interviews and in terms of on the job discrimnation? At my workplace, not at all, but that is because my profession is dominated by introverts, but I do think there is discrimination against introverts overall in the workplace.

What are your thoughts?

Woaa...PRetty deep for a late afternoon conversation!

Define what you consider an introvert.

My gut reaction is no - how exactly do you discriminate agains an introvert?

Yeah I like to make people think

Introvert: One who draws energy from themselves vs drawing energy from others. Usually, quieter, less social. Does not mean shy and does not mean socially unskilled.

I say yes to this. To give one example, if you don't go to holiday parties or group lunch gatherings, it's frowned upon in most company atmospheres (ie, "you are not a team player" or some such BS) .

Yeah I like to make people think

Introvert: One who draws energy from themselves vs drawing energy from others. Usually, quieter, less social. Does not mean shy and does not mean socially unskilled.

I say yes to this. To give one example, if you don't go to holiday parties or group lunch gatherings, it's frowned upon in most company atmospheres (ie, "you are not a team player" or some such BS) .

I agree with your definition of introverts, and unfortunately I would agree that they can be misunderstood and possibly discriminated against at work as well as other environments.

I don't need other people and by your definition, I myself am an introvert. So with that said....

Using your example, if I choose not to attend company functions, then the consequences of that are my own doing - not discriminatory. If I choose not to build relationships with people I work with, or my superiors, when the time comes for a promotion to be given, why would it be discriminatory if someone with a better relationship, or whose work is better known, is given the promotion over me?

I guess my feeling on it is that if there is a "game" to be played, and I choose not to play it, any negative consequences that arise, I have brought on myself.

So again, I say would answer no, discrimination against introverts is not only not widespread, it is almost non existent.

Do you think introverts are discriminated against in the workplace, both in terms of interviews and in terms of on the job discrimnation? At my workplace, not at all, but that is because my profession is dominated by introverts, but I do think there is discrimination against introverts overall in the workplace.

What are your thoughts?

Not so much discrimination. But introverts I guess keep to themself and are a bit quiet. If you're quiet and not very involved with everyone, they'll leave you to yourself of course.

I'm an introvert. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much or being discriminated. Now as for interviews, yes, you may be overlooked I think. Not discriminated. To me an introvert is someone who is a bit quiet and not so much of a team player.

working outside the home (heck, even working for yourself) you play the game if you want to get ahead. you go to functions, you eat lunch together when there's a manager taking you out. that's the way it's done. yes, i'm going to remember the person that has been outspoken over the one that keeps her head down and simply performs. hey, most of us HATE company functions, but it's called work for a reason. i would think if that sort of thing is common in your workplace, perhaps another job is in order...(not to you, but someone that feels like that).

Do you mean discrimination in the legal sense? There are only certain classes protected under discrimination law, and introverts are not one of them.

It might be fair to say they are less successful in some situations where the job requires the worker to be an outgoing people person. But that is not legal discrimination.

No, I mean looked upon more unfavorably because they are quieter. I think people often ascribe some very negative things to those of us who do not talk as much as others.

An introvert can still be assertive and recognized for their work product. Likewise, they can be assertive and bring up issues when the arise. There is a big difference between an introvert and a doormat.

As I said before, I don't "draw energy from others," but I will stand up for myself. I can "play the game" no matter what it is, but I am still introverted. I do not constantly talk, but when I do, people listen because of my experience and my position.

Well, I work in education and law and introverts don't do very well in those occupations. I'm a substitute teacher and one-on-one math tutor. I also work as a legal secretary and paralegal. I couldn't imagine being able to do any of these jobs if I was shy or an introvert. However, everyone is different and I'm sure there are some introverts who do these jobs, I just haven't met them. Teachers, especially, are a social, outgoing, bunch. Are they discriminated against? I honestly don't know. I wouldn't think so, I think they would most likely not be applying to these jobs anyway. But no, I haven't seen any job discrimination shown to introverts.

Introverts are to the world as the CPU is to the computer. Without them, we would be absent of imagination, emotional understanding, and Starbucks.

Introverts are very disrespected in your status-quo office environment. While I'm sure some have been (at one point or another) discriminated against, I doubt it really matters at all because I believe that we all have the qualities of intro or extroversion. What defines the presentation of it, however, is where we become segregated and discriminated against.

In my opinion, any professional who decides to discriminate against someone deemed "introvert" is attempting to protect their job.

I wouldn't say they are discriminated against, but because introverts don't usually voice themselves, they tend to disappear into the background. Unfortunately in this society, simply working hard will not get you where you want to be. There are some superiors who recognize this and will go out of their way to help you but those are rare. You usually have to take charge and get noticed if you want a promotion and that's not something easily done for introverts.

No, I mean looked upon more unfavorably because they are quieter. I think people often ascribe some very negative things to those of us who do not talk as much as others.

I can't say i have ever witnessed this.

And when people are in the right job roles based on their strengths, there would be no need for them to not do well on the job either so no professional prejudice should have to be at play.

Most of the analysts i have worked with are kind of quiet, and that is a plus for them since the job tends to keep them isolated to number crunching in a cubicle. An extrovert can do this job if they like analytics, but they often have a hard time with the inability to associate with a lot of other people.

Not all job roles are well suited for the folks big on talking and communicating.

I have never looked negatively towards a quiet person.

I could see, however, a person who is very quiet that landed a role that required them to be very interactive might get dinged on performance reviews if they are not stepping up to the plate. Other than that I can't say i would understand why they would be criticized at all.

I think introverts might PERCEIVE they are discrimianted against because they tend to not speak up and that could lead to some bitterness if they are not speaking for themselves clearly and getting their point accross.

It's true. I've kind of seen it happen at the place I'm interning. Not really work wise. More when it comes to being invited places. The "extroverts" are the ones who get invited to out of office events (parties, wedding celebrations, etc). While the "introverts" are seen as "unsocial" and unwilling to socialize.

On some level I agree. Once again remember, I'm also an introvert though. But I'm willing to admit I don't really make too much of an effort to be buddies with all my co workers. I just make sure I'm polite and do my job all the time. As long as it doesn't stop me from getting ahead I'm fine.

Oh, and another thing I just thought of (sorry) is that most extroverts are very ignorant of their surroundings. They tend to be quick on the draw and drift in the current without getting wet. Personally, I find them very bland and hallow because these types equate to those you usually see with misunderstandings about relationships and personal understanding. Of course, I say this not to express some sort of silly vendetta against your common extrovert because like I said, we all have a 50/50 makeup of this persona-type. Introverts can have the same amount of issues, too, but of their own type. These have just been my experiences.

I have learned that most introverts see the trees instead of that huge sequoia that comes close to leveling their grape. Too many details equates to intellectual overhead. They work out the details from the ground, up, and after they complete their procedures, they oftentimes have better understanding of whatever it is they research or process than anyone else who works on whatever it is at hand. Of course, in the office environment or anywhere else for that matter, this is a bane to payroll and project management. Time equals money.

Your statements about extroverts, IMO, are discrimantory because how can you assume they are all shallow? Many extroverts began life as introverts but realized they had to become extroverted if there were things they wanted in life that demanded it. I was once that person. And i am not shallow nor do I have a slim awareness of my surroundings. I am very aware of it.

I think if introverts are going to say they are discriminated against, they might ask themselves if they are doing the same thing against extroverts.

I find that these statements are far more deragatory against an extrovert than anything i have raed on this thread about introverts. You are making some seriously incorrect assumptions. Not all extroverts are cut of the same cloth.

I am very keenly aware of my surroundings and not a bit shallow.

Your statements about extroverts, IMO, are discrimantory because how can you assume they are all shallow?

I think if introverts are going to say they are discriminated against, they might ask themselves if they are doing the same thing against introverts.

I agree we shouldn't discriminate, but it's hard not to fight back when all our lives, we've been subjected to a lot of negative statements about us.

Your statements about extroverts, IMO, are discrimantory because how can you assume they are all shallow? Many extroverts began life as introverts but realized they had to become extroverted if there were things they wanted in life that demanded it. I was once that person. And i am not shallow nor do I have a slim awareness of my surroundings. I am very aware of it.

I think if introverts are going to say they are discriminated against, they might ask themselves if they are doing the same thing against introverts.

I find that these statements are far more deragatory against an extrovert than anything i have raed on this thread about introverts. You are making some seriously incorrect assumptions. Not all extroverts are cut of the same cloth.

I am very keenly aware of my surroundings and not a bit shallow.

Without breaking anymore guitar strings, I have to admit that your statement is very true: not all are like that--which is why I said things like "most", "my experiences", et al.

I have never once met a person that I deemed as being extrovert who had any awareness of the things that truly occurred in his environs. Granted, he excelled at networking and coordination of various extracurricular situations, but in the end, he / she remained the person we all know who needed help with given projects, who misunderstood situations, who lacked foresight of the bigger picture in life, but most importantly, who lacked recognition of when morals were more important then the receipt of profit.

While it could be that my definition of introvert and extrovert may be different from yours, surely we can both agree that introverts are clearly running the earth.

Without breaking anymore guitar strings, I have to admit that your statement is very true: not all are like that--which is why I said things like "most", "my experiences", et al.

I have never once met a person that I deemed as being extrovert who had any awareness of the things that truly occurred in his environs. Granted, he excelled at networking and coordination of various extracurricular situations, but in the end, he / she remained the person we all know who needed help with given projects, who misunderstood situations, who lacked foresight of the bigger picture in life, but most importantly, who lacked recognition of when morals were more important then the receipt of profit.

While it could be that my definition of introvert and extrovert may be different from yours, surely we can both agree that introverts are clearly running the earth.

No, can't say I agree with that. It takes both extroverts and introverts to really make a difference. I know of no organization or group that can successfully exist with one personality type.

My definition of an extrovert is not someone who is loud and brash. That type of person might be better described as arrogant or pushy, in addition to some extroverted tendencies. My definition of an extrovert is someone who is able to express him or herself outwardly free from any type of fear of what the listener is going to think of them, but many of us have enough tact to gauge a situation and not just blurt out whatever comes into our head.

I am an extrovert in that i am not too shy to take up for myself or express myself clearly, but have many introverted activities that I enjoy. I surely do recognize my surroundings. You might be confusing extroverts with only people who just blindly jump into situations wtih no emotional intelligence.

Not all extroverts are emotionally ignorant. Just like not all introverts have a high IQ. There are high and low IQ individuals in both extroverted and introverted categories.

I have yet to decide if I am an introvert or extrovert.

There are many extroverted introverts, and they are not always easy to identify on first meets, that is why i posted the way i did to wolf. It is not a good idea to paint eveyrone with the same brush. You might be an extroverted introvert. I consider myself one. I enjoy so many solitary activities and have a lot of introspective moments in my own head, but can express myself openly in groups, speak in front of crowds, and speak up for myself when needed.

There is not always a certain category one falls into.

And there is this thing called LIFO that some companies used to teach years ago. Stands for "life's orientations". It was a good course in that it showed how the same person can be introverted AND extroverted based on the situation they are in. For example, some people are very outward and take charge in 'amiable and positive circumstances, however, when faced with very stressful situations they go inward, and become very conserving and holding in their feelings, much like an introvert. This makes it more easy to see how a person can be BOTH extro and introverted. some people are the opposite. Stressful and/or unclear situations make them more assertive and they charge ahead, but when in a pleasant situation they are more introverted and introspective. Then there are some people who are very adaptive and dealing in some situations, where they just adapt to the situation at hand and cheerfully go with the flow, and are not really considered extroverted or introverted. They are more neutral in personality and very adaptive depending on the environment they are in.

People can change their behaviors/personality to match the situation at hand many times. Very few people are ALWAYS extroverted or introverted ALL of the time.

Yep, I believe I was a victim of this...

Back when I first graduated from college, my first job lasted 7 months. Not only was I "let go", but my supervisor had been stealing my work and gallavanting accross the organization, fronting as if it were hers...

I was very young and naive, and had no idea about "office politics" and the such, but I will never forget, one of the main reasons she listed in my performance review for my not being a "good fit" in the organization was because I never socialized with the other women(small org of about 15 staff--all women)..that I was "always in my office eating lunch" and didn't mingle with the other women...what the heck..

I was 22yrs old, and all the other women were age 40+. I ate in my office because I was so psyched that my first real job outta college, gave me a HUGE office to begin with! Sheesh!

On the way out, I told them that they should've mentioned employees MUST eat lunch with fellow coworkers, in the job description - perhaps they'd have better luck.

Archived