How to talk to Doctor about mental health issues, need help, appt tomorrow!

Hi everyone!

I have a doc appointment to finally talk to my doctor about the way i have been feeling. Basically i feel horrible 95% of the time. I have moment where im on a serious high and feel happy and that i can take anything on. But that only last for up to 30mins and then i crash hard and feel angry, upset, sad, etc.... I also have suicidal thought as well. I have never plotted it out or attempted anything but that fact that those thoughts are even there is disturbing to me. THere are points when i absolutely cant calm myself down. I will be crying and pacing around the house and cant do anything until eventually the feeling subsides, but this can go on for hours.

ANyways im excited to have this appt tomorrow but dont know what to expect. ANyone been there before? Talking about this stuff for the first time with your doc? How might he react? I scared if i say i have suicidal thoguht from time to time that he will blow it out of proportion and have me admitted to the hospital or something.

thanks for anyone help

I would tell him everysingle thing you just told us, but I would omit the suicidal thoughts. Suicide is very serious and he may recommend a week stay on a psych ward. There is nothing wrong with this and you may need the help. When I spoke to my doc about depression, I told him everything. And he asked if I have had suicidal thoughts. I said no. I've maybe had one or two in my life. I do not have a problem with suicide. We discussed therapy and meds. And that was the course of treatment. I am 7 and a half months pregnant now and I still take my antidepressant. My doc and OB decided that it was better if I stayed on it through the pregnancy.

I would tell him exactly what you have written her3 (just print it out) including the suicidal thoughts. He/ She is NOT going to have you committed just because you tell him this. But the more honest you are, the easier it will be to get you the right kind of help. Most likely he/she will recommend you for a psychiatric evaluation. Don't be freaked out about it. Just be as honest as possible. The more you leave out, the more difficult it will be to pinpoint the underlying issue may it be circumstancial or clinical.

There are so many possibilities and so many diagnosis possibilities often with overlapping symptoms that only revealing everything will make it possible to diagnose you correctly.

the correct diagnosis will be absolutely necessary in order for you to get the appropriate help be it either therapy and/or some drug. giving you the wrong drug because you were diagnosed wrongly would be really in your disinterest.

You will almost definitely be referred to a psychiatrist. Unless you express that you are still thinking about suicide or have attempted suicide, further action won't be taken.

Medical doctors usually just push these issues over to psychiatrists. They are more hesitant to give meds when you express severe depression.

But if you can see a therapist, DO. I have been trying like crazy. It has to be better than nothing.

I wish you the best.

Tell him exactly how you're feeling, along with any symptoms that you have. If you're having any suicidal thoughts, you need to communicate that also.

There is no point in holding ANYTHING back, especially suicidal thoughts. The only way that they can hold you against your will is if you're an immediate danger to yourself or others, at the time that you're evaluated, and that is done legally for your own well being.

Take care...

hey im from canada

when i was 16 i saw my doctor and told them how i was feeling. i tried to be casual but broke down in tears. she gave me some 'sample' packets of anti depressants and referred me to a psychologist. i went to her for a few years and sorted out many of my issues. i had to play around with medications a bit though. but any ways you can definitely get a referral from you doctor.

how much it costs, that depends on the professional's rates. i think it depends if you're seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist (i think the latter is more expensive). you should contact your medical insurance company and see how much you're covered per year for therapy.

by naturally do you mean cognitive therapy or simply just trying by yourself?

if there is a chemical imbalance, then it requires a huge amount of energy, dedication, honesty towards yourself, and time to work through things by yourself and to try to 'reprogram' your brain/ behavioral responses.

using a medication could make it soo much easier: maybe it's all you need and most of your anxiety will subside even without any cognitive therapy

Yes, i was on the prozac. But i am now on lexapro since i have more anxiety than depression. I feel amazing. It def sounds a bit like bipolar disorder. I work in psychiatry so i am pretty knowledgeable. I say try it and see what you feel like. There are so many meds out there that you can always change to see what works for you. Good Luck.

Archived