dating and conflict in the workplace

metrogirl

Say you work with your gf/bf and they don't like certain co-workers for various reasons (little spats with them or co-worker talking about person behind their back), would you just dislike those co-workers as well? Is it an act of betrayal if you still say hi to them or good morning to them? Keep in mind these co-workers have nothing against you, it's your SO they don't like.

I would probably keep it professional and polite, but I wouldn't go out of my way to be be friends with them or hang with them outside of work. I would try to stay out of it.

There is no outside socializing with any of them.. The person just finds it extremely disrespectful that their SO would even acknowledge them with a hello or good morning. I find that to be a bit extreme.

There is no outside socializing with any of them.. The person just finds it extremely disrespectful that their SO would even acknowledge them with a hello or good morning. I find that to be a bit extreme.

I do too, there's no need for their SO to create hostility at their place of work. Tell them to get over it

Say you work with your gf/bf and they don't like certain co-workers for various reasons (little spats with them or co-worker talking about person behind their back), would you just dislike those co-workers as well? Is it an act of betrayal if you still say hi to them or good morning to them? Keep in mind these co-workers have nothing against you, it's your SO they don't like.

Ooh boy.... My BF worked at the same company as me for a while (he had actually worked there almost 10 years before I arrived). He HATED and I mean HATED a lot of the people I worked with. It was really hard because it started biasing me against people I didn't know and I'd walk into meetings knowing things about them I shouldn't or didn't need to know.

I was grateful when he quit because then it was easier to make my own judgements on who I liked or didn't like and why. But in the meantime, huge source of strife if I mentioned any of the people he didn't like. I did my best not to let him influence me, though. I am my own person and can like who I want to like. As long as they had never in any way harmed him, I figured it wasn't his business. (and vice versa)

I believe it is important to keep relationships at work on a pleasant level. I always say good morning and hello to anyone I see within my work environment. It helps eliminate conflicts and tension within the workplace. I would not listen to a SO if they asked me to not speak to someone at the workplace simply because he didn't like them. I'm not talking about engaging in full-blown conversations....just simple pleasantries that help keep environment civil.

I believe it is important to keep relationships at work on a pleasant level. I always say good morning and hello to anyone I see within my work environment. It helps eliminate conflicts and tension within the workplace. I would not listen to a SO if they asked me to not speak to someone at the workplace simply because he didn't like them. I'm not talking about engaging in full-blown conversations....just simple pleasantries that help keep environment civil.

Thank you.....That makes perfect sense but to the other person, they would see this as a sign of betrayal. I'm all for keeping things civil in the workplace.

I would be polite but if they tried to come and sit and talk to me I would ask them to please leave.

But if you have nothing against these people personally nor they you, why ask them to leave?

Thank you.....That makes perfect sense but to the other person, they would see this as a sign of betrayal. I'm all for keeping things civil in the workplace.

But if you have nothing against these people personally nor they you, why ask them to leave?

I would never in a million years tell someone to please leave if they came to sit down with me just to chit-chat.

This is your work place....you would be a foolish soul to help create tension with co-workers especially if it's unecessary. I would not let a SO help ruin my reputation and professionalism at work.

This SO is being very immature and unreasonable and this is an issue I would not waver on....

It would really depend. Since I am male I would not want female co workers hanging around me and causing issues with my SO and vice versa. If they were talking about my SO behind their back then I wouldn't want to be friends with them.

I can understand that but, would you not even exchange simple pleasantries like, good morning as you are passing them by? Would you come off as hostile towards them because your SO thinks that is the way it should be?

I can understand that but, would you not even exchange simple pleasantries like, good morning as you are passing them by? Would you come off as hostile towards them because your SO thinks that is the way it should be?

As my first post said I would be polite and say hi and stuff but I would not sit and talk to them as if they were my friend.

Archived