Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How often do employers call references?

If I give a reference during an interview and the interviewer asks if I can call the person referenced and I saw no, legally they can't do that right? Are there some that might do so anyways? This is a government job so I don't think they'd make the call if I tell them not to...but i dunno...

I don't want my potential employer to contact this person, but most of my experience comes from this job...if I say they can call on the application are they 100% going to call? I don't want them to call!!! but I think most of what I have to say during the (potential) interview will come from this job =[

Well, why exactly don't you want them to call?

By you saying no, you're essentially saying that you have something to hide, and that isn't very good. It says that you had problems with that job, something happened or something occured that you don't want him to find out. Or you're lying about information you are giving, and that they can't find out or back it up.

I don't understand why you would put a reference down, if you wouldn't want that person called.

In short, I'd say that they probably won't call, but I'm also going to say your chances of getting the job probably decreases. Most places want a reference check, and you've essentially not provided them with one, therefore not meeting the qualifications of the job.
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I hear it call in the center of it all
    You're the love of my life, the love of my life
    I hear it all in the center of my heart
    You're the love of my life, the love of my life

Why don't you want them to call? In my opinion it sounds a little sketchy if you were to tell them not to call, it might ruin your chances on getting hired.
    Life is like photography, you develop from the negatives.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Sometimes we expect more from others because we would be willing to do that much for them...

When the mist clears I can see Durdle Door
    If you are applying for a Govt job, they are going to do basic background checks on you and absolutely they are going to take up the references you provided.

If you feel that you are going to get an unfavourable reference from your employer you should make it clear at the interview stage and have a valid explanation of why that would be the case.

It could be the reason you are looking for another job.
    Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
    Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

There is a difference between confirming work history versus contacting references. References are people you want them to call--you don't have to use any ex employer as a reference, although it's good to use at least one. References can also be peers on a job, or else you can name one supervisor and not another.

Work history calls are different. They go directly to HR, and they're only for validating your dates of service there. They're not allowed to discuss anything else unless you name them specifically as a reference.

In your corner.

My boss once told me that he "doesn't call past employers unless he's not sure about hiring the person". So basically, if you come off as a responsible and worthy person, they don't really feel the need to call. If they have doubts about you, they may call.

I usually write "Please inform me before contacting references". That way, if they do want to contact, they let you know first so you can be prepared.

I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Past employers rarely ever speak negatively of former employees, unless you were a major screw-up.
    "Happiness lies for those who cry, those who have searched, and those who have tried, for only they can appreciate the importance of people who have touched their lives."

"The more time we spend disapproving of others, the less time we have to improve ourselves."

If you say something like, "My current boss doesn't know I'm looking for a new job, so I'm providing you with some other references" that is typical. But to offer a reference and then tell them not to call sounds like you're hiding something. I interview people often and have never had someone ask that we don't call a reference with no legit reason. In the future, be clear about why they couldn't call a reference that you gave. Look at it from their point of view...they want to hire a reliable, responsible worker and a good way to find out is to talk to their previous boss, but this candidate is saying we can't call him/her. Hmmm...
    "It'll all be okay in the end....so if it's not okay, it's not the end." -Unknown

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt

We call most of the recent employers, say in the last three years or so. If someone tells us not to call someone, their application is generally thrown out. It's a big red flag to some employers. I mean, all you are allowed to ask is "Did so-and-so work for you during this period of time? Also, "Would you consider them for rehire?" All you need to know is in those two questions.

If you tell a potential employer not to call a reference listed, it will look highly suspicious and they will probably just over look your application and move on to the next person who is fine with their references being called. After all, references are listed for a reason. As for it being illegal, no it isn't. You list it, they have a right to call it or move to another applicant.

Silver Member
    I don't think anyone has ever contacted my references. Then again, they probably never tell you nor does your previous employer happen to tell you so anyway. Either way, I would still go in with the assumption that they may call at least one of them, so be prepared. Don't do anything that will make your potential employers suspicious of you though.
    "Do you want to fix the problem or soundbyte it?" -- Ross Perot during 1992 presidential debate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Flirting at workplace can indeed help women to get ahead and build their way to success. However, their colleagues will not like it at all, saying ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...