how to shrink muscles?

so like many people i want to lose weight that ive put on since ive been in college. ive always been a more muscular girl because i played a lot of sports, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i can make the muscles smaller?? or more toned instead of bulky .. my arms look more fat than they do muscular if im not flexing & it just isnt attractive.. i just want to know how i can get the slimmer look without losing all my muscles / strength.

thanks

so like many people i want to lose weight that ive put on since ive been in college. ive always been a more muscular girl because i played a lot of sports, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i can make the muscles smaller?? or more toned instead of bulky .. my arms look more fat than they do muscular if im not flexing & it just isnt attractive.. i just want to know how i can get the slimmer look without losing all my muscles / strength.

thanks

More cardio

More cardio, more lean muscle building activities. My trainer says light weights and many reps just leads to overuse and wear injuries. You are not working your muscles if you aren't feeling it by the 12th or 15th rep. I do not have bulky muscles and I've been a top caliber athlete most of my life.

Bulky muscles come from over focusing on major muscle groups and not toning the whole body. I'd switch from machines that isolate muscle groups to exercises that use multiple groups - Pilates, yoga, balance ball, swimming, etc. Better to have long lean muscles that way.

Eeat a healthy balance of carbs, proteins and fats - I stick to grains like quinoa and buckwheat, eat a lot of hemp, buffalo, eggs and elk, and healthy fats like coconut, again eggs, flax seed, raw unsalted nuts.

Some of it may simply be the way you are built. I am shortwaisted with broad shoulders so I have to be very careful not to build out or I'd look like a square up top.

If you say you need to lose weight then cardio is your answer. You are looking more "bulky" because you have fat covering your muscle mass.

As muscle burns fat, your aim should be to strengthen what you have. Try dancing, yoga, arobics, pilates and swimming... these are fun to do, can be done with friends and build lean muscle mass which doesn't equal bulk. Try 45 mins of cardio 3 - 4 times a week, and some light weight training twice a week.

Exercise will strengthen and shape your body, while your diet will ultimately be your biggest tool to lose body fat. Water, water, water! Lots of fresh veg, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, oily fish, will help you see great results quickly.

Good Luck! I started my new diet and exercise regime today after over indulging over xmas. Feeling sore ha ha ha!

You are looking more "bulky" because you have fat covering your muscle mass.

She is correct. In most cases this is true for women if you didn't use unusual supplements.

If you are naturally very muscular remember not to overwork your most defined areas. I have very muscular thighs so although I weight train, I usually make sure they are the last area I train after a session, so that although I am strengthening and toning, I am making sure that the other areas of my body are getting more attention, and I don't increase the mass of my legs too much.

Also, weight training makes your muscles swell. Don't be too discouraged or stop training when this happens. The swelling wil go down as your body adjusts, and you will be left with long lean muscles in no time.

Water, water, water!

Yep, Stella is correct again.

I think swimming and Pilates would be a great plan short term for the OP along with dietary changes. Maybe some light resistance training with multiple muscle groups activating and not isolation work.

I agree, I have seen great changes with pilates. If the OP is interested, I would suggest mat workouts first to get used to the basic exercises, then move on to the machine with an instructor. There are usually clases of up to 8 people for machine workouts and 12 for mat workouts.

Swimming iwill really compliment pilates, (or yoga though I have never really tried yoga), as it increases your suppleness. It is easy on the joints as you are not really shock absorbing any impact on your body, and you are approx 1/10 of your weight in water. It teaches you how to breathe properly and will exercise your lungs and strengthen your heart, which is great for staminer.

If the OP is a bit bikini-shy at the moment, then kick boxing/ martial arts in really fun to do and uses all of your muscle groups.

when you mention that light weights &high reps lead to overuse & that if you dont feel it by the 12th or 15th rep you arent working the muscle.. are you suggesting that i use a weight thats are heavy enough that i do feel it by the 12th-15th? or to not do the exercise at all because its fruitless or just not the right kind of exercise??

If you say you need to lose weight then cardio is your answer. You are looking more "bulky" because you have fat covering your muscle mass.

As muscle burns fat, your aim should be to strengthen what you have. Try dancing, yoga, arobics, pilates and swimming... these are fun to do, can be done with friends and build lean muscle mass which doesn't equal bulk. Try 45 mins of cardio 3 - 4 times a week, and some light weight training twice a week.

Exercise will strengthen and shape your body, while your diet will ultimately be your biggest tool to lose body fat. Water, water, water! Lots of fresh veg, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, oily fish, will help you see great results quickly.

Good Luck! I started my new diet and exercise regime today after over indulging over xmas. Feeling sore ha ha ha!

Thank you! I appreciate it! I feel exactly the same way itll definatley be difficult to stick with this regime but definitely well worth it as well!

If you are naturally very muscular remember not to overwork your most defined areas. I have very muscular thighs so although I weight train, I usually make sure they are the last area I train after a session, so that although I am strengthening and toning, I am making sure that the other areas of my body are getting more attention, and I don't increase the mass of my legs too much.

Also, weight training makes your muscles swell. Don't be too discouraged or stop training when this happens. The swelling wil go down as your body adjusts, and you will be left with long lean muscles in no time.

Water, water, water!

so if my arms are my muscle feature you suggest less weight training for them? i do have rather large biceps ..

Archived