Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How would you describe love?

I know everyone says you can't explain love and you only know what it is when you expirence it... But there has to be a way to atleast kinda describe it.

I know I'm young and still have a lot of growing up to do, but I think what me and my bf have can definitely be described as love or at least the beginning stages of it. This is how I would attempt to describe it:

Its a sense of completeness when your around them. They make you a better person and make you want to be a better person. Its a level of friendship that allows you to be completely comfortable around them. Its always wanting the best for them, even if it means sacrificing for yourself. Its the happiness you feel everytime you're around them...

As I was writing, I guess I started to realize why people say you can't describe... Its hard! So for those of you who are in love, what would you add to this? How would you try to describe it?
    Four Lessons on Life:
    1. Never take down a fence until you know why it was put up.
    2. If you get too far ahead of the army, your soldiers may mistake you for the enemy.
    3. Donít complain about the bottom rungs of the ladder; they helped to get you higher.
    4. If you want to enjoy the rainbow, be prepared to endure the storm.

[Warren Wiersbe.]

I think love is a 3 part thing. First love is knowing someone fully - the good and the bad. Then It's caring for them despite their downfalls. Third, it's being cared for back despite your own downfalls.

That's just the way I describe it, I'm sure there's a million ways.

Oh, and, I don't think you can be too young to be in love. Love doesn't discriminate

accepting and embracing a person with all the faults and positives. a complete care and compassion for that person.

To me, when the other persons needs override your own.

So, no, i haven't YET experienced love, but i'm optimistic.
    I dream of Algonquin

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenLove View Post
    It doesn't exist. It's a trick the mind plays on you. A concept implanted by society in your brain. Synthetic concept. Need I continue?
    Hmmm interesting. I don't necessarily agree but its an interesting concept!
    Four Lessons on Life:
    2. If you get too far ahead of the army, your soldiers may mistake you for the enemy.
    3. Donít complain about the bottom rungs of the ladder; they helped to get you higher.

[Warren Wiersbe.]

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenLove View Post
    It doesn't exist. It's a trick the mind plays on you. A concept implanted by society in your brain. Synthetic concept. Need I continue?

That is probably true, our thoughts control our emotions, and love is an emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Montrell274 View Post
    accepting and embracing a person with all the faults and positives. a complete care and compassion for that person.
    And that's part of those thoughts, really caring about someone. I'm not sure you can say love is willing to sacrifice anything for that person (unless it's your child or family), I think in todays world to have a healthy love relationship the saying "you need to love yourself before you love another" is very true. They shouldn't make you a better person, they can add to it, but you should be a better person with or without them too, you know?

Some good stuff so far!

Anyone else have a way of describing it? I think its interesting how everyone has a slightly different view on what they consider to be love...
    Four Lessons on Life:

[Warren Wiersbe.]

A very deep committment that can never end except by death. You are committed to each other, through thick and thin, for life. The only ways out are abuse (leave please!) or death. It isn't romantic, but an almost holy pledging of your life to and with another. It doesn't have to be marriage, but it definitely is for the rest of your life. Anything else is just a romantic relationship that didn't work.

Silver Member
    Undefined. Like dividing by zero.

Alternatively, a series of chemical reactions designed to trick you into making babies, but that's the answer nobody likes to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok View Post
    Undefined. Like dividing by zero.

Alternatively, a series of chemical reactions designed to trick you into making babies, but that's the answer nobody likes to hear.
    LOL

I dont really know yet..but I've heard a few songs that sing about it.
    It's a combination of feelings to me.
    Don't dwell on what went wrong, Instead focus on who to punch first

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
If you pretend to be in love with someone and act as if you find them attractive, or otherwise imitate the behaviors associated with being in love, ...
On the Way to the Wedding: Transforming the Love Relationship
by Linda Schierse Leonard
Ever since I can remember I've longed for a soulmate. I was never particularly interested in marriage itself since my parents' marriage was so ...
Creating Love: A New Way of Understanding Our Most Important Relationships
by John Bradshaw
Fifty years ago we entered a new, as yet nameless era. The judges at the Nuremberg trials dealt patriarchy a mortal blow when they ruled that ...