Everything is so blah to me. Not interested in anything..

Myles

I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't think I'm depressed or sad.. Just very unmotivated and emotionless.My life has become stagnant and boring. I've tried for months on end to look for a job and nothing. I've completely giving up & stopped caring. I have no money & I'm just down on my luck. I've become very anti social and just have not found the energy or the mood to talk to anyone. I'm losing friends left and right because of my nonchalant attitude these days. They say I have changed and their tired of being the only ones trying to make the friendship worked. I got into an argument with my best friend that I've known since kindergarden over the same issue and they've decided to cut ties with me also. This hasn't helped me feel any better and yet I just don't feel like going through the trouble to call or apologize.

I'm single and it looks that way forever, it irritates me that everywhere I go, I see happiness and families together. I see couples kissing and laughing. I would like that for once but I never get it.I was so miserable today that I just decided to ride the train and the bus all day long.. just gazing out of the window. I was hoping I would find somebody to talk to, someone to take notice of the sadness and the pain I'm feeling but everyone basically ignored me. I don't have money to see a psychiatrist.. I'm too depressed and unmotivated to join a club or get involved with anything. At the same time I don't feel like interacting with anybody. I just have no passion or drive for anything anymore.. I don't know.. I'm confused and lost.

Why don't you try reading a few books on how to heal your life... Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers is brilliant. Once you realise that you have control over your feelings, you really can turn your life around. Waiting for someone to hopefully see you in your misery and talk to you, I can honestly say will only ever make you feel worse, because they won't. it's almost like you are reinforcing your worthlessness.

Take back control.

Tomorrow instead of using transportation try walking.

I would try walking and exercising but I'm a little fearful of doing that since I live in a rough area where robberies and violence is at an all time high. It's kind of sad that you can't even walk in your own neighborhood without worrying if someone is going to hurt you.

Why don't you try reading a few books on how to heal your life... Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers is brilliant. Once you realise that you have control over your feelings, you really can turn your life around. Waiting for someone to hopefully see you in your misery and talk to you, I can honestly say will only ever make you feel worse, because they won't. it's almost like you are reinforcing your worthlessness.

Take back control.

I have nothing else better to do, I guess I could read a book. I'll see if that book is in my local library.

Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain, but it can also be caused by circumstances in your life that just suck. I know how you feel because it took me 4 months to find a job. That whole time I spent mainly in my apartment with nothing to do. And the more of nothing you do, the less you feel like getting up & doing anything. You are in a rut and you need to drag yourself out of it. Just having something to do during the day- some purpose- will make a world of difference. It will force you to do the things you need to do because you no longer have all the time available in the world to do them. Even if you are just flipping burgers for a while. At least you will have something to do.

Also, just hoping that a stranger will approach you & talk.. that will almost never happen. Most people don't even look at the faces of other people on the bus, train, grocery store, on the street. No one will be aware of your pain whatsoever. You will have to be the one to initiate contact if you ever want it to happen.

I agree with you.. If I was able to find something to do.. I would feel better but I can't and it's frustrating. Without a job, I can't do anything because almost everything you do requires money which is something I don't have. I would love to join a gym but of course you have to pay for gym membership.

I'm so tired of being disappointed by people. My family is too much into their own little world to even realize that I have a problem. I'm so tired of looking for a job, If I get one more put down, I'm seriously going to snap!! I'm so frustrated because I don't know what to do with my life anymore!

I agree with you.. If I was able to find something to do.. I would feel better but I can't and it's frustrating. Without a job, I can't do anything because almost everything you do requires money which is something I don't have. I would love to join a gym but of course you have to pay for gym membership.

I'm so tired of being disappointed by people. My family is too much into their own little world to even realize that I have a problem. I'm so tired of looking for a job, If I get one more put down, I'm seriously going to snap!! I'm so frustrated because I don't know what to do with my life anymore!

It is a heck of a lot harder to find a job than I thought it would be, & I even have a Bachelor's Degree, graduated with honors & leadership experience. I probably applied for 30 jobs. Wanna know how many actually contacted me? 2. And after a crappy interview they never even told me "sorry, we didn't choose you".

In todays market, its no wonder it is so difficult to find a job with so many people laid off. You should have other people review your resume & tell you if they find it attractive. Less is more. If you have a page completely filled, no employer is going to take the time to read it. But don't get your hopes set on any particular job. Apply for many. Accept the fact that it takes time.

You know the census bureau is starting up prepping for the 2010 census & they are hiring thousands of people for temporary positions beginning around april. $13 bucks an hour. You should contact them, fill out their papers & take their little test.

I also started taking St John's Wort, an over the counter mood enhancer. It is just as effective as prescribed antidepressants for mild to moderate depression without the side effects. It has really helped. I know you don't consider yourself depressed, but how you feel is basically how I felt for quite a while & they have helped me out a lot.

• 2 years later...

Hello Myles:

The symptoms you describe are typical symptoms of what is now called Major Depressive Disorder or MDD. I've been in treatment for this all my adult life. It's biochemical in nature and can be treated. I strongly urge you to seek the opinions of 1 or 2 psychiatrists. I don't know your state of residence, but there are programs in many states that provide services to those of us with limited options in terms of seeking care. Good luck!

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Archived