Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what does the term "move on" really mean?

what does the term "move on" really mean?

hi all, not quite sure if this thread has been done before on this fab site
    shall we get a ball rolling on the term/s we all dread "moved on"
    "moving on" and the classic "why dont you move on with your life"
    ok, where to then. smart * * * * !!!]

can we shed some white light on this awful and not very well understood part of breaking up. i may seem a tad obtuse but love is blind!

jahur of the uk!

also,come to think of it, can people "move on" after a week, after say, a year of being together?
    Last edited by jahur; 12-06-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Hi jahur of he UK!
    To me, moving on means that you are seeing yourself with someone else. You are moving on your feelings and who you want to be with.
    Start moving on with NC, accepting its over and picturing yourself with someone else.

Moving on simply means turning your attention to your own life rather than on what the ex may or may not be doing. Some people think moving on means finding a new partner so the minute they are out of one relationship they are trying desperately to find another one because they feel that is the only definition of moving on. However, moving on means accepting the end of the relationship, accepting that it will take time to get over it and heal, but while the healing process is going on you are devoting your energies to making improvements in your life...self-reflection and growth, discovering new interests, forging ahead in career goals, moving towards realizing other dreams and plans in life.
    "A word to the kind: when I sense I'm hurting someone, I am. The fact that someone would be weak enough to tolerate that from me doesn't make me less responsible for my actions, it makes me more responsible". Catfeeder

very interesting, to read both of these replies, it will be even more interesting to see what others have to say, i must add that both of your replies rang true.

mmmmm i ponder awhile

jahur of the uk!

Silver Member
    Moving on to me doesn't involve all the self-improvement and self-spoiling and turning my feelings and energy about my ex into a project, or my career.

Moving on to me means slowly getting back to the person I was before she came into my life...i.e. happy, caring, etc.

wow thats sweet and very simple!!

jahur of the uk!

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jahur View Post
    wow thats sweet and very simple!!

jahur of the uk!
    Thank you.

Moving on to me is regaining a sense of normalcy and I'm damn close to being there. I'm glad she left me after 5 months and not 5 years. The moving on process while long, could be a hell of lot worse. haha

Letting go of the dreams you shared with your ex. Realising that you still have dreams, and that your ex is no longer part of it. Accepting the situation for what it is. Realising that someday there will be a new special someone to share your life with. Finding yourself and your happiness again.

great stuff chaps and chapessess!!, so how long does a "moved on comment" from an ex usually transpire after the split? my was a last straw move to split the relationship!
    Last edited by jahur; 12-06-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jahur View Post
    great stuff chaps and chapessess!!, so how long does a "moved on comment" from an ex usally transpire after the split? my was a last straw move to split the relationship!
    i think it's different for everyone... but i do think that you first have to get over the initial heartbreak of the relationship... the shattering, if you will, of it being over... and the shock that it no longer exists.

once you are past that phase and you find yourself hanging on for hope purposes... is probably when you can move on. however, moving on is very much of a choice... we can all stay in the pain forever if we wanted.... but there comes a time when you just have to say "no more"... i'm not going to stop living anymore because of this person... and you make the choice to end the obsession of them... you make the choice to put them in the background of your life and others in the forefront... but I think that has to follow the initial hurt. i don't think you can move on when you are grieving.. i do think the grieving stops and then you either become a victim to the jerk or you move on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...