Pharmacy won't fill out-of-state prescription

lady00

So, my pharmacy where I am in school won't fill my birth control prescription from my doctor in another state. Anyone have the same problem? What did you do? What did you do about the refills? Did you just go fill it and then keep going back every time you got a chance to go home? Doesn't seem like it makes much sense. Should I just try to find a doctor in the other state?

Other info: The dispensation is 28 pills. I get 11 refills. But I guess the bottom line is this does not help me as I cannot come back once every month to my home state to get the refills. Argh.

If you are in the U.S. a lot of chain pharmacies will fill prescriptions from out of state. Others require you to fill the initial prescription in state but then you can get refills from any location.

Thanks for the quick reply! I called CVS which is the only pharmacy I've noticed in close proximity to where I live in the state where I am in school and they said they will not fill any out of state prescriptions.

Thanks for the quick reply! I called CVS which is the only pharmacy I've noticed in close proximity to where I live in the state where I am in school and they said they will not fill any out of state prescriptions.

Would they at least give you refills if you get it filled the first time in your home state? Then you wouldn't have to make the return trip for the other 11 months.

I suppose the other option is to see a local doctor. Does your school have a clinic for the students? The cost for that is usually included in your tuition or available at a reduced rate.

I suppose the other option is to see a local doctor. Does your school have a clinic for the students? The cost for that is usually included in your tuition or available at a reduced rate.

My school does have a student health center. I've been there before, but never for a prescription. Maybe I can get a new prescription there.

Archived