Thread: No appetite, but feel like there's a giant, empty hole in my stomach - What's this all about

Silver Member

No appetite, but feel like there's a giant, empty hole in my stomach - What's this all about

I'm sitting here struggling to finish a banana!!! Even a gentle and easy to digest food like this is making me feel ill. I am under a decent amount of stress due to a chronic health problem, being unemployed, broke and just got out of a relationship. I'm also living back at home with my mother after many years on my own/in a relationshiip, and it is so depressing.

I always feel hungry, but when I try to eat something I feel ill. My stomach feels hollow and empty, even when I do eat something. Does anyone know what this feeling is all about? Has anyone ever experienced this type of appetite loss?

how much time ago did the appetite problems start?
    it could be that you just haven't eaten enough in quite a while and your stomach just isn't used to digesting food.

you should probably talk to a nutritionist (family doctor maybe?) who could tell you what kinds of food go easy on the stomech and just eat very small doses throughout the day until your system gets readjusted. (i am positive there are people here with more specific information)
    Absolute truths do not exist

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astaro View Post
    how much time ago did the appetite problems start?
    it could be that you just haven't eaten enough in quite a while and your stomach just isn't used to digesting food.

you should probably talk to a nutritionist (family doctor maybe?) who could tell you what kinds of food go easy on the stomech and just eat very small doses throughout the day until your system gets readjusted. (i am positive there are people here with more specific information)
    Thanks for your reply. I started losing my appetite about 3 years ago, actually, but it has fluctuated during that time. Sometimes I have a stronger appetite, but recently I am back to feeling very "blah" about eating. I'm almost forcing myself to eat at this point. I do eat small portions throughout the day, but alas, this has not helped improve my appetite.

I think I can trace it all back to when many problems started occurring in my life, and things have not improved that much in the past few years so I've never really regained much of my appetite.

Have you talked to your doctor about this to make sure there isn't something else going on?
    You can make the world a better place - one person at a time.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avman View Post
    Have you talked to your doctor about this to make sure there isn't something else going on?
    No, since I'm not working (not by my own choice of course) I do not have any health coverage.

Platinum Member
    when I am going through emotional things, I can't eat even when I am hungry. Like you I can be attacked by severe hunger and order/prepare some food and then after 2 bites I am totally full and can't eat anything else. Since I really hate throwing up, I just stop eating rather than forcing myself to a few more bites and then having to run to the bathroom.

The only solution is to eat lots of small portions throughout the day. I also tend to do better when I eat mainly protein, and cut down a lot on carbs and heavy/fatty/ greasy foods.

i'm no doctor, but sounds like an ulcer.
    Not only am I friendly, but I'm invisible too.
    Too perfect of a relationship is too weird-g69
    If you say you are normal, I'd think you are weird-g69
    The world can only get better, it depends on how you look at it-g69
    'As wicked as you are, you're beautiful to me'-5fingerdeathpunch
    you cannot control the world, you can only live in it the best you can for you-g69

NooOoOoooOOoOoOoooooo

Quote Originally Posted by penelope13 View Post
    when I am going through emotional things, I can't eat even when I am hungry. Like you I can be attacked by severe hunger and order/prepare some food and then after 2 bites I am totally full and can't eat anything else. Since I really hate throwing up, I just stop eating rather than forcing myself to a few more bites and then having to run to the bathroom.

The only solution is to eat lots of small portions throughout the day. I also tend to do better when I eat mainly protein, and cut down a lot on carbs and heavy/fatty/ greasy foods.
    I am exactly the same when it comes to food as you. Same symptoms, same hatred of puking, same best case diet including frequency.
    Look for the good in yourself and others, it will change your life.

Platinum Member
    currently i am really happy about this 'diet', since I lost nearly all the weight that i gained due to a depression and a few years of a stressful sedetary college degree

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penelope13 View Post

Oh that's terrible. I think maybe this is an emotional thing for me as well. Since I started having many stressful things happen (and all at once), I have lost so much of my appetite. I'm naturally very slender, but losing my appetite recently is not good, because I don't want to start looking unhealthy. Especially I think my face is getting too thin.

I used to drink Ensure supplement shakes every day to maintain my weight, but I don't want to rely on liquid calories to keep myself fully nourished.

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...