Thread: Boyfriend won't keep his promises to me anymore, does he even care?

Boyfriend won't keep his promises to me anymore, does he even care?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years now, 4 in June. We use to have a bad addiction to drugs and alcohol and I decided I didn't need that stuff in my life anymore. I had a very bad addiction to alcohol and I'm only 17 to be honest. My friends are starting to get into that stuff and I just can't be by them when it's happening so I don't really hangout with them that much anymore because of that. He told me he would stop for good and I believed him but, then he'll go back on his promises and mess up. I have to be the one that is suffering and always down about it. I've tried talking to him about it but, it just really goes in one ear and out the other, it never gets through to him. It never will it seems like, I don't know what to do anymore, a 17 year old girl shouldn't be going through this.

welcome to enotalone. you are right, a 17 year old should not be going through this. break up, immediately, go no contact, move on. please get some counseling for your addiction issues and stay away from people who are bad influences.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    He most likely will not change.
    If you like Dota, PM me for my steamID

People are my religion and I believe in them.
    I have faith in my fellow man and I only hope that he has faith in me
    - Andrew Jackson Jihad

Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise is perfect light
    For I know the stars too fondly to be frightened of the night.

Hi Manders, you're right a 17 year old should not be going through this. At all, not least alone.

People who work with addicts have found that people who are addicts and are in a relationship with an addict are less likely to kick it. So unfortunately, if you are serious about staying clean the best thing you can do it get completely away from people living like that - including your bf.

Sadly, he is an addict. And while he may mean what he says to you when he says it, his addiction is stronger than his resolve - the drugs have more of a hold on him than you do.

Get the necessary help for dealing with your addictions, and I wish you all the best.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

You have a right to experiment with your life. You will make mistakes. And they are right too.- Anais Nin

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manderslynn View Post
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years now, 4 in June. We use to have a bad addiction to drugs and alcohol and I decided I didn't need that stuff in my life anymore. I had a very bad addiction to alcohol and I'm only 17 to be honest. My friends are starting to get into that stuff and I just can't be by them when it's happening so I don't really hangout with them that much anymore because of that. He told me he would stop for good and I believed him but, then he'll go back on his promises and mess up. I have to be the one that is suffering and always down about it. I've tried talking to him about it but, it just really goes in one ear and out the other, it never gets through to him. It never will it seems like, I don't know what to do anymore, a 17 year old girl shouldn't be going through this.

Well honestly your boyfriend is probably addicted to that stuff, so he won't change. It can be hard to kick those kind of habits, you have to really want it to end and get help sometimes. I'm happy that you realized that wasn't the life for you. What I suggest is you break up with your boyfriend( I know it will hurt), and go no contact. It will hurt at first, but it will get better, trust me.
    So sweet and innocent
    I never saw it coming
    A permanent hole inside my heart
    Wish I woulda seen it from the start
    Learned my lesson the hard way
    Never gonna be the same again
    Murder in the first degree
    The minute he took one look at me

Murder, murder, murder
    He hit me in the heart...

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...