Stubbed my toe like 5 months ago...

Samedy

So I stubbed my toe like 4-5 months ago. As expected the toe nail turned a dark purple. What's weird is, it's still a purple/red colour. You would think that after 4-5 months the toe nail would at least have partially cleared up.

It doesn't hurt or anything, but it just doesn't seem right for it to stay discoloured for this length of time.

*I can't recall if I've cut it since I've stubbed my toe.

Ahh, I did something similar about 6 weeks ago. I dropped my laptop on my big toe, right on the root where the nail grows. About 1/3 of my toenail is black now & it's still growing out black.

How does yours look at the root? I've been told that the good nail is probably growing underneath & will eventually push the bad one off. But that was my bf, not a Dr. I think it just takes a long time for the damaged part to grow out. It wouldn't hurt to see a Dr, especially since its been so long.

I bumped my toe when running (speed will add some extra force to the bump, really nice, lol). First the whole toe became twice its size. Then it shrunk back and became really dark... purplish to black. It is now more than 3 months ago and it's still purple. It also sometimes bleeds during running, but it never hurt. I guess pain would indicate a real problem, but I am scared my nail will just fall off at some point.

I think there is nothing to worry about our poor toes. Just take care that you keep it clean to prevent infection.

I had this happen to me two years ago and i still have it. You need to go to a doctor so they can see if there is a fungal infection because they can treat that. With me they said there was an infection and i was given some liquid stuff but it didnt work so i am left with a discoloured toenail. Dont leave it because it could be getting worse like mine did. Its going to stay or go, unluckily for me mine stayed i cant get rid of it, no more open shoes for me.

Stubbing your toe is like one the most annoying things ever! It hurts and you feel so silly jumping around the place! Argh! haha

I stub a toe at least once a day. I've broken the same one about 3 times.

As expected the toe nail turned a dark purple. What's weird is, it's still a purple/red colour. You would think that after 4-5 months the toe nail would at least have partially cleared up.

It will have to grow ouw completely to get rid of the purple mark.

As an avid soccer player & hiker this happens to me alot!

My toe(s) once they turn purple they usually don't turn back. They either grow out slowly and normally by being replaced by the healthy colour toenail. Similar to how polish grows out if it doesn't get chipped.

Or the new toenail grows up underneath it and eventually the black toenail is pushed up and falls off, revealing a softer somewhat pinker toenail underneath it. It's sore for a bit but quickly hardens up.

It's taken as long as a year for a totally black toenail to fall off, and about 6 months to grow one out. Yes I loath dressing up and wearing strappy sandals, but I do it anyway.. most of my friends know about my obsessive soccer habit so no explanations necessary.

once you damage a piece of a nail in any area where it separates from the flesh, it dies and must grow out. it doesn't reattach itself and go back to pink/normal again. the nail is 'dead'. i know it was never living, but it cannot reattach.

I am hoping it will grow a new nail back though? Will I be the person with 10 toes and 9 nails?

I am hoping it will grow a new nail back though? Will I be the person with 10 toes and 9 nails?

Most probably it will. I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course, the area where the nail grows from can get damaged to the point where it stops growing nail but that would probably require some considerable punishment to happen.

As people tend to share their stories about bumping their nails, I'll add mine as well.

A couple of years ago I left my fingers between the toilet door, on the hinge side...

"Oops, door closing, with my some of my fingers in between: that's going to hurt" **Crunch**

My middle finger took quite a hit as the door closed.

Strangely, it didn't start hurting right away. Only a few seconds afterwards it started to pulse with pain. Spent that afternoon tending the finger with ice bags various frozen food items.

I got some bleeding under the nail, coloring turning from the initial red to a darker shade, from numerous variations of purple to almost black. Fortunately it didn't bleed that much as to cause pain. (I've heard the pain from the blood packing under a nail can be intense until the nail is punctured to release the pressure)

The coloration eventually disappeared, but there was a surprise coming up as the nail grew. The nail matrix also took a hit from the door, and that part affected was weirdly warped, wavy and stuff. The nail started to loosen and eventually fell off, pushed by fresh healthy nail emerging.

The lesson learnt, don't stick your fingers between closing doors.

Btw, now that we have a thread about nail injuries, don't we need another one for stories about ingrown nails?

Archived