Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

For the British: What do you think of an American accent?

Just curious about what our British friends here on ena think of the American accent. I know that I find the English accent very hot, and a lot of Americans would probably agree with me. Do you feel the same way about our accent, or do we sound like yokels?
    "A productive and happy life is not something you find. It is something you make." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Be kind. Everyone you meet is engaged in a great struggle." -Plato

"I have sad misgivings that I shall never find any consolation in life save in music" - Bela Bartok

I'm Australian and i love the sound of the American accent, especially the very think accents some parts of the US have.
    I also love the British accent, very sexy!!
    If you do nothing, nothing is going to happen, if you do something, something might happen, The Future is yours, do something about it!

I have an English accent and to be honest, I'm not all that fond of the American accent. Just a personal preference, I guess.

Gold Member
    Having an American accent is a liability, and not an asset. My sister just came back from 6 months of world travelling, and she said that people around the world don't like Americans. She said that people were harsh when they thought she was American, but when she told them she was Canadian suddenly thier attitude changed. She also said that American travellers she travelled with pretended to not be American, for the purpose of not being harassed by those with anti-American feelings. So accent hot ?? I don't think so.........

Silver Member
    Night Pumpkin, be careful about making generalizations about your sister's experience. Americans don't have the best reputation in the world now because of our last decade of horrible foreign relations and the ridiculous and stupid things American travelers do in other countries. Whenever I travel to other countries I do my best to stay away from 'tourist' types as they typically are loud, annoying and "American, God **** it!" (super ego for no apparent reason)

People have preconceived notions about others from far away places and it's hard to counteract when a lot of the tourists reaffirm them.

As far as accent goes... American English is deemed 'the cool English' by many, whereas British English is thought to be more refined and scholarly sounding.

(I'd take a sassy Aussie girl over any of those... too cute...) :P

naw thanks rising. i like having an aussie accent, its FREAKING AWESOME MAN. haha. accents in general are hot...but i guess it all comes down to personal preference. personally, i'd dig british over american any day.

Silver Member
    That's true about americans traveling. My buddy mike has done alot of overseas traveling and he says the same thing. He left one time and was in Germany and he wore a shirt with a picture of bush and below it said "not my president". He actually got applause from a bunch of people, and said everyone in Germany liked his shirt.. lol
    I eat my peas with honey,
    I've done it all my life.
    It makes my peas taste funny,
    but it sticks them to my knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising View Post
    Night Pumpkin, be careful about making generalizations about your sister's experience. Americans don't have the best reputation in the world now because of our last decade of horrible foreign relations and the ridiculous and stupid things American travelers do in other countries.
    Join the club....we don't exactly have a great reputation abroad either.
    Everyone hates us too ....LOL

As far as accent goes... American English is deemed 'the cool English' by many, whereas British English is thought to be more refined and scholarly sounding.
    Yeah, those who speak 'upper class' English maybe....Hugh Grant as a prime example. Not all of us have the same accent as him and they vary from region to region. Northern English speak and sound totally different to the Southern English. Still English though I guess....and you wouldn't mistake us for being any other than English, no matter where we are in England.

I prefer American accents to Australian ones....

Hmm I think its very variable...some American accents can be really annoying especially if they're high pitched and squeaky. Having said that, I find posh English accents quite annoying as well, especially if the person is a snob. Its difficult to generalise. It depends on the person I guess...

I wish I had a Scottish accent. I've noticed that Scots have an easier time in saying words from other languages correctly over other English speaking accents. I'm not too concerned about how "attractive" it is, but I just like to be able to have a more fluid manner of speaking.

I have an American accent, and I kind of feel it takes liberties with the correct way of pronouncing things (Americanized English). I would also say that I'm Canadian if I were to travel abroad...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...