Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Chantix Diary

A Chantix Diary

For those of you interested in quitting smoking, alot is being said about the new drug Chanitx. I've tried to quit now for over 4 months. I had thought I was home free since I had quit for about 3 weeks, but things happened with my ex gf, and work, and I went right back to smoking like I hadn't missed a beat. I was using the patch, and gum. Previously, I had tried Welbutrin without success, so Kaiser Permenente suggested Chantix. Since it's so expensive, Kaiser is only willing to pay for it if you have tried the patch, and Welbutrin before. I'm also required to attend weekly smoking cessation classes. The classes haven't started yet, but will on Oct 1.

So, I just picked up my meds today, and popped the first 1/2 pill. I was ordered to take 1/2 pill for the first 3 days, then 1/2 pill twice a day for 4 days, then 1 pill twice a day for 11 weeks. BTW, with my co-pay the 60 tablets cost me $25. I have 2 refills.

So, for those of you interested, I'll try to keep this updated to see if this works. I talked to the lady at the pharmacy, and she told me it was almost miraculous in her 20 year 2 pack a day smoking habit. She's been smoke free for over a year. So here we go........wish me luck.

I'd also like to hear from others with any experience with Chantix. Either yourself, a family member, or a friend.

Awesome...thanks for sharing this. Please do get back and let us know how it worked out. I have smoked for 12 years and would LOVE to find something like this if it works!!! Let us know and good luck!!!
    Do or do not. There is no try.

I used Champix (Chantix) to give up smoking, you still need willpower but it is nowhere near as hard as going cold turkey. I had been smoking for 14 years, I smoked roll your own cigs without filters, I was a pretty heavy smoker 40+ a day. I would still be a smoker now if it wasn't for Champix and it only costed me $10 for 3 months worth thanks to the Australian government

-------------------------------------------------------

Lindy - Free and Healing for Three Months, Twenty Two Days, 14 Hours and 53 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Days and 22 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4585 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,990.00.

Silver Member Whiplash Girl Child's Avatar
    Hey there, I figured that since this is a Chantix thread, I'd post my own experience.

I was a smoker since I was 17. It started out light (one pack over three days), and then I became a heavy smoker by age 20 (a pack a day, and by age 27 I was smoking a little over a pack a day).

I tried lots of things to quit. Cold turkey worked once for about 2 months. But I went back. Tried the patch, but it made me feel sick and sweatty all the time. Just not a good experience. Then I heard other people tell me that they took Chantix, or knew someone who was on it, and was successful in quitting smoking. So . . . I tried it.

I only survived for 3 weeks on it.

By the end of the first week smoking turned into a useless activity. I really got NOTHING out of doing it. It was like smoking a piece of cardboard. Ciggies didn't taste the same, and I just didn't get that "ahhhhh" feeling when I smoked. I stopped completely by the end of the first week. I think it actually was the 8th or 9th day.

Then came the side effects.

Crying spells. Depression. Over-tiredness. I took a day off work just so I could sleep in. On one Saturday I slept 'til 4pm.

I stopped after the 3rd week because of the side effects. I was miserable. I'm sure the pill affects everyone differently. So I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Just telling my story.

Anyway, despite ending treatment early (you're supposed to stay on it for 12 weeks), I am still smoke free.

Yay, so that's my story!

I wish all the luck to anyone trying to quit. Remember that it's NOT impossible to quit, and that quitting is not always as difficult as you think it is.

Oh, mine cost me $5 per fill.

my coworker used chantix and quit no problem. he smokes again though. lol
    Not only am I friendly, but I'm invisible too.
    Too perfect of a relationship is too weird-g69
    If you say you are normal, I'd think you are weird-g69
    The world can only get better, it depends on how you look at it-g69
    'As wicked as you are, you're beautiful to me'-5fingerdeathpunch
    you cannot control the world, you can only live in it the best you can for you-g69

NooOoOoooOOoOoOoooooo

Okay.........Its DAY 3, and I'm still smoking so far. Maybe a little less than the past few days, but I've been smoking so irratically the past few months, that I don't know if this stuff is working. Tomorrow, I'll start my 1/2 pill twice a day dosage. The doctor and pharmacist told me to just keep smoking for the first week or so. She said by then I'll have almost no urge to light up. I dunno, seems too good to be true, but what the hell. I want to quit anyways. So, just an update for all those interested.

PS-I've felt NO ill effects from Chantix so far. Let's hope it stays that way. I've read plenty of HORROR stories about this drug.

Oh, I guess I should add some more useful information.

I started smoking at 17. Since I was a swimmer in high school, and year round actually, I didn't smoke heavily at all. The summer after high school though was a time of HEAVY drinking, drug use, and smoking. Seems like a beer and a smoke go hand in hand. Anyways, while in the first year of college, depending on how hard we partied that night, I'd go through between 1/2 pack to 2 packs a day.

I tapered off when I left college, maybe smoking 1/2 pack a day for 5 years. For the past two years, I've been at right about a pack a day. Sometimes a bit over that, depending on stresses at work, or with my ex.

All in all, I've been smoking about 12 years. That's about 11 too many. I really enjoyed it for the first year, and actually really enjoy it after dinner now. But when I quit for about a month just this year, I can't believe how HORRIBLE smokers really smelled when they came in the room. No wonder my ex, who smoked maybe 2 cigs a week, hated when I'd come home from work late and want to cuddle. Gosh, it must've been such a turn off. Anyways, to get myself back in shape, (and to get my ex back) I'm dead set on quitting for good. I want to get my swimmer's body back, and had been well on my way before. I just got stressed out and gave up hope. I feel I'm at a crossroads at this point. Either, I stop smoking and get back in shape, or forever become a smoker. No other choices. I guess I feel desparate to quit. Crazy I know.

I have quit smoking now for 13 months. I was a smoker for 6 years. I did the cold turkey route though. My husband used Chantix, he was a smoker for 10 years. After the first week he was down from a pack in a half a day to just 2-3 cigarettes a day. Then he was able to quit completely. He said he had no urges or cravings.

A lot of Chantix side effects can also be withdrawal symptoms. The only side effect my husband experienced was weird vivid dreams.
    Buy a PS3 if you like movies, Buy a 360 if you're a hardcore gamer. -- Tyler101

To the OP...I tried Chantix...had a horrible panic attack as a result...just blew up, throwing things, breaking things, then a crying bout for 2 hours. My doctor immediatley took me off...he said about 10% of people experience this!
    Thank you for the laughter,
    thank you for the dance,
    thank you for the Love,
    and thank you for the chance.

^^ KG, I never told you I stopped taking it after a couple days.

For the couple days I took it, I felt very "withdrawn..." Just wanted to sit around and not interact. Not me!

OP, you mention half a pill. Here, we get cards with the pills in them. Starts with 1 pill a day, then 2... You mention your dr had you taking half a pill. How many milligrams is the pill? I just find this interesting and wonder if starting with less milligrams and working up to a full pill then two would have made a difference.
    Never make someone your priority when they only make you their option.
    Never waste time on someone not willing to waste or share time with you.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Wonder of these days.... how do they sleep at night? How? Is there something I'm missing? In search of. . . . understanding I guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...