Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Stress/Grief Alone Cause Weight Loss?

My love of nearly two years dumped me in May, and since then, I've lost nearly ten pounds - which, on a 5'1 petite frame, is pretty significant/noticeable. However, I'm still eating three meals a day - cereal, then yogurt/fruit/crackers for lunch, and a full fledged dinner normally (meat + veggies, maybe some cheese and bread to go along with it ). I'm working out the same amount I used to. And in fact, I've been drinking more - hardly abnormal after a breakup, but weird that the net result has been a 10 lb. weight LOSS. Really, the only thing that has changed, is that I don't snack in the afternoon between meals. I used to have some chips, or a cookie.

I've heard stress/grief can sometimes do wacky things to your metabolism. I've been really stressed at work and school, too...so maybe all that combined has catapulted my metabolism...anyone have thoughts/input on this?

Gold Member
    if you are putting in the same amount of calories then no, you shouldnt be losing weigh. if your diet change then there you go..

grief alone should not cause you to lose weight, but the lack of appetite or change of diet, or something drastic.. they do cause you to lose weight... that is my opinion

Platinum Member
    Abosolutely! I lost a lot of weight following my break up-not eating. Everyone was concerned so I began to eat like I hadn't eaten before, even foods high in calories and fat. Didn't make a difference my system was processing things so quickly due to the stress I wasn't able to regain the weight. Finally, after eight-months I'm at a desirable weight-family illness through the weight off again. The key to this problem is learning to manage your stress effectively or it can affect your health

It's normal.
    I lost 30# between June 07 and September 07 when I found out my husband had had an affair.
    Everything we do in life is a choice. From the moment we wake up until the moment we fall asleep.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    I always lose a good 15 pounds after breakups.
    If you like Dota, PM me for my steamID

People are my religion and I believe in them.
    I have faith in my fellow man and I only hope that he has faith in me
    - Andrew Jackson Jihad

Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise is perfect light
    For I know the stars too fondly to be frightened of the night.

Stress will do it for sure. Your body is working overtime just trying to keep up with the emotions.

Above statements are correct, you will loose weight because of the added stress, in some cases you gain weight, it all depends on how your body reacts to stress. I've lost about 5-10 pounds in the past couple weeks, with basically the same diet because of the same thing.

Ah, the bittersweet irony...

Emotionally, my heart is broken and I'm depressed. Physically, I look great and have finally lost the weight I wanted to lose for the last two years...without even restricting my diet! Stress/grief has catapulted my metabolism...even though I continue to eat three meals a day, and even indulge in ice cream, cookies, etc. a few times a week.

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeAmbition View Post
    Ah, the bittersweet irony...

Emotionally, my heart is broken and I'm depressed. Physically, I look great and have finally lost the weight I wanted to lose for the last two years...without even restricting my diet! Stress/grief has catapulted my metabolism...even though I continue to eat three meals a day, and even indulge in ice cream, cookies, etc. a few times a week.
    I always felt that way too. Breakups actually make dating easier for me. I force myself to stay busy and go out a lot to get over my ex. This causes me to meet new people and become more fun again...which leads to a new relationship.
    If you like Dota, PM me for my steamID

People are my religion and I believe in them.
    I have faith in my fellow man and I only hope that he has faith in me
    - Andrew Jackson Jihad

Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise is perfect light
    For I know the stars too fondly to be frightened of the night.

Silver Member
    I wonder how long it takes to get the weight back. When I last saw my ex she was about 15 pounds smaller due to the stress of the breakup. She also stopped taking her BC in the meantime. Well she recently got "happy" and started taking her BC again at the same time as meeting her new man. Going to be funny if she gains the weight back real quickly early in the relationship. The guy is going to be real tripped out. Seeing a girl gain a lot of weight in a matter of a few months of meeting her may create some weird red flag.
    [QUOTE=Clementine orange;2602553]
    SchecterGuy, I think you're gonna make a great dad one day![/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...