Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-smoker craving cigarettes

Question Non-smoker craving cigarettes

I've been a nonsmoker all of my life (Well, I never smoked cigarettes). My parents both smoked cigarettes and I HATED it.

Lately, after I had my son a year ago I have been finding myself having strange cravings for cigarettes. I can't really put it into words- except to say that when I am on my way to work in the morning with the window down, I just feel like having a cigarette with my coffee, so badly. Something about it just seems like it would be relaxing to inhale it and slowly blow it out. Weird huh?

I should make it clear that I will NEVER, EVER start smoking, I don't need to be convinced not to do it- I know how bad it is, and I will never start smoking. But I'm just wondering if any other non-smokers have found themselves suddenly craving the idea of smoking????

I find the whole thing very strange because I have always been revolted by cigarettes- yet this actually feels like a biological craving of some sort. I'm perplexed.
    Carly, don't be sad
    Life is crazy, life is mad
    Don't be afraid
    Carly, don't be sad
    That's your destiny, the only chance
    Take it, take it in your hands

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    same thing has happened to me recently. My coworker was smoking a special kind of cigarette that was almost like a cigar. It just smelled so sweet and when he offered me a smoke I actually had to think to myself "woah, whatcha doin?!" to keep me from taking him up on that offer.

I would never smoke in my life either. His brand just seems so appealing to my senses.
    If you like Dota, PM me for my steamID

People are my religion and I believe in them.
    I have faith in my fellow man and I only hope that he has faith in me
    - Andrew Jackson Jihad

Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise is perfect light
    For I know the stars too fondly to be frightened of the night.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I have a friend who smoked like a chimney for years. And after I'd hung around with her, I'd crave a cigarette. Bloody passive smoking.

But sometimes I've thought that I'd like to take up the evil weed just to do it. But I'm not going to, it's just one of those wierd things. Damn you Hollywood!
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

You have a right to experiment with your life. You will make mistakes. And they are right too.- Anais Nin

Yes I get it too, I've never smoked in my life and never will, I think it's because when your stressed you look at others and look at the ways they deal with it and that's normally smoking so you can understand why you want it, but I always tick out of it, instaed of having a smoke with your coffee have a biscuit!, do something else that healthy!.

Well, I used to smoke so it may be different. But for all my teenage years and not til my 20's did I start smoking. I was around smokers since I could breathe - even before!!

I think it has to do with stress. Brain chemistry.

Your brain has taken nico at times, and it has had an effect. Your brain and body remember it - it is an effective form of self medicating, as an ex smoker, I know! It's a real thing.

So that doesn't seem strange to me. I'd bargain your brain chemistry is giving you some signals with the craving, just like it does for me as an ex smoker sometimes. The signal means: need more dopa or other good thing, less stress! lol.

just my half arsed theory.
    Every moment is a choice.

Red pants make you play faster.

"if you are looking for substance, you have to be of substance yourself. " - happybear

Platinum Member BeStrongBeHappy's Avatar
    I suspect you are really really tired (with a young son). Nicotine has a very similiar chemical footprint to caffeine, and is a stimulant. Perhaps you have a deep memory (from your parents and second hand smoke) of the little buzz of energy nicotine can bring.

Next time you have that craving, just have a cup of coffee and see if it satisfies you. Your brain probably has a deep subliminal connection between coffee and cigarettes due to your parents, since most smokers often smoke while drinking coffee. You probably imprinted on it when young, and it is coming back now that you're tired raising a young child.

Platinum Member
    Breathing in and out is relaxing for sure but its the nicotine hit in the blood stream that smokers crave most.

I've never smoked cigarettes either, never will, but a good cigar ... that's a whole 'nuther thing. Maybe have a good cigar and see if that satisfies the craving? You don't inhale a cigar, you just puff and enjoy the flavor, and no one walks around all day with a cigar in her mouth, do they?
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

"Life goes not backward, nor tarries with yesterday" - Kahil Gibran

maybe get some of those cigarette candies from a store or from the ice cream man. you can puff out the powder sugar. gum inside too. bonus!
    Not only am I friendly, but I'm invisible too.
    Too perfect of a relationship is too weird-g69
    If you say you are normal, I'd think you are weird-g69
    The world can only get better, it depends on how you look at it-g69
    'As wicked as you are, you're beautiful to me'-5fingerdeathpunch
    you cannot control the world, you can only live in it the best you can for you-g69

NooOoOoooOOoOoOoooooo

Quote Originally Posted by just M.E. View Post
    I've never smoked cigarettes either, never will, but a good cigar ... that's a whole 'nuther thing. Maybe have a good cigar and see if that satisfies the craving? You don't inhale a cigar, you just puff and enjoy the flavor, and no one walks around all day with a cigar in her mouth, do they?
    I didn't even know females smoked cigars...Lol. Little close-minded but they seem so manly.

I used to smoke so its diff. for me...But i know the feeling. Driving on the highway and smell someones cig in front of u makes me crave one...Also when im drunk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...