In Love With A Cheating Sociopath – My Story

PrettyTallGirl

Note: This is very, very long.

In The Beginning:

I met the sociopath in late 2005. It is actually weird because he dated my college room mate/sorority sister before he ever dated me. For that reason alone, I really didn’t want to get involved with him. I could also never remember who he was and we were introduced like 3 times before I remembered the guy. He seemed like a pretty cool guy to hang around with so we did hang out a few times. He would always call me to hang out, but I would rarely answer the phone. In the summer of 2007 I was contemplating going to graduate school out in Chicago. At the time, he was living out there. He sent me a message on facebook telling me he was out in Chicago. I told him that I might be moving out there and he said we should hang out. I never ended up going to Chicago but he ended up contacting me in the fall of 2007. We were chatting on facebook and he asked if I wanted to hang out and this time we actually did. I never expected to fall for the guy, but after the first day I hung out with him, I was immediately impressed. He seemed to be so charming and easy to talk to. He made me feel very comfortable being around him. We dated for approximately 2 weeks before we had gotten into the relationship. I know that was pretty rushed however we had known each other for several years before dating and getting into a relationship with each other. Within two weeks of us getting into the relationship he told me he loved me. I will admit that I had strong feelings for him but I was no where near in love yet. My love for him grew over the first 3 months of our relationship.

He seemed absolutely perfect for me. He would give me cards and roses nearly every other day. He wrote me poems and constantly assured me that he had never loved any other woman the way he loved me before. He claimed he had been in love only once as a teenager and him loving me was the first time he had ever been in love as adults. About one month into the relationship, I logged into his facebook account (he had given me the passwords to both his facebook account and email). Welll I ended finding a message he sent to a young girl (she was a senior in high school). He claimed that he loved her and was begging her to spend one more night with him and that he would pay for the weed and liquor. He also told her that he wanted to spend the night with because he was leaving to go overseas to play basketball. When I confronted him about this he claims it was his cousin who sent the message and he assured me that it was not him. I didn’t believe him and I hauled ass out of there. He then began to call me, text me, and email messages stating that he has never loved a woman the way he loved me, and the only other people he loves in this world is his mother and brother. I was very deeply in love with and decided to figure him and go back.

I relationship seemed to be on the right path. We were engaged to be married and planned on getting our names tattoo on each other. He seemed to be very serious about this and very happy with me. I will admit that we did begin to argue a lot but its like, one minute we would argue then the next we would be in love all over again so our anger towards each other never lasted very long. For Valentines Day, I spent nearly $1800.00 on him. I rented a room at the Hilton Hotel (The Presidential Suite) and showered him with gifts. He only got me flowers, card and candy but I was happy with that because he had just lost his job. When he saw everything I did he was amazed and said that he felt like he was in a movie because no one had done anything like that for him before. He became even more anxious to get married. Not to long after that I found out I was pregnant. We both wanted the child but agreed that we weren’t ready. I ended up getting an abortion.

Flash Forward:

One day I was at the salon getting my hair styled and he texted me and told me that he had to help his aunt move some stuff around her house and that we would meet up around 4pm. Then he kept making the time later and later in the day, it went from 4p to 6pm to 10pm to midnight. By this time I was completely frustrated. He told me to meet him at his house at 1: 30 am. We then got into an argument and I said I wasn’t coming. For some reason I decided to just go ahead anyway because I did still want to see him. Well when I got there, it was another woman there. He was cheating and had been caught. I flipped out completed, ended up damaging the car and got arrested. I understand my actions were immature and I know I could have handled the situation better. I acted with my emotions wondering how someone who claimed they loved me so much could cheat on me. He ended up bailing me out of jail. His excuse was that he was cheating on me and the girl who was at his house was actually there for his brother. He said that she was actually trying to help him figure out a way to propose to me before he left and went to school. Something in my heart told me he was lying but I was so blinded by my love for this man that I believed him.

From that point on the relationship was rocky and we kept breaking up and getting back together. He became very cruel to me once I found out that he cheated. He was no longer the loving person I once knew. I ended up finding out about a secret facebook page that he had. I had his password to the email account he used to sign up on facebook so I was able to reset his facebook password and log into the account. Well what do you know? I found nearly 16 pages of incoming and outgoing messages to so many different women. Many of the girls were young and attended a high school near his house. He was asking these women to hang out with and gave his number out. One message in particular was sent to a woman in January of 2008 (while we were together). He said to the woman “b*tch you better not have gave me nothing” he also stated that he would tell all of his fraternity brothers that she was a * * * * * . By now I realized this guy had been cheating on me right from the start. When I confronted him about it he got immediately angry with me as if it was my fault and he was upset with me for finding out. He then claimed his brother created the page and sent the messages because he didn’t like me and he didn’t want him to be with me. That was weird because I always though his brother did like me.

I forgave him again. Then on Memorial Day 2008, my family had a barbeque. I brought him to the barbeque and one of my very distant cousins was there. They immediately looked at each other and my cousin stated that she knew him and she began to say “wow it’s a very small world”. When I asked him how he knew her he said that she would always come into the store he worked at and all the guys would try to talk to her but he never did. The entire time my cousin was at the barbeque she didn’t say anything because she didn’t want to start trouble. After me and him left she called and told me not to say anything just yet but my boyfriend actually tried to have sex with her in November or December of 2007 (at the very beginning of our relationship). She stated that he picked her up in a blue Taurus (which is my car because he doesn’t have one) and proceeded to take her back to his house. He said he lied to her and told her that his name was Nate and that his mother was on crack. She explained exactly what his house and bedroom looked like. She also said that he kept begging her to have sex and perform oral sex on her. She declined because she felt as if it was something really weird about him. And just so you know my cousin was only 17 years old at the time and a senior in high school.

The End of HELL -

Well by this time I was sick of his sh*t. I confronted him but of course he denied the whole thing and said that my whole family is full or liars. We broke it off again but I had a strong emotional attachment to him and very much in love with him. I went crawling back to him (I know it should have been the other way around). At times I would beg him to come back to me and during a period of about two months he completely played with my feelings. He told me I wasn’t a good woman and that I would never find a good man. He evened had the audacity to blame me for his actions. We reconciled many times over the course of 2 months, but we finally broke it off for good on the 4th of July. I wanted to stop over my family’s house for a second to see if they were shooting fireworks and he immediately got upset and insisted that I take him home so I told him it wasn’t a problem. He then began to say that “he had wasted his fu*king time with me”. I told him he was a very rude, sarcastic mean person that lashes out in anger for absolutely no reason. Once we go to his house he proceeded to take my keys out the ignition and threw them. We started to argue and he began choking me repeatedly (this was not the first time he had done this by the way). At on point he choked me so badly that I began to cry and scream and proceeded to get a way from him then he grabbed me and begged me to hug him stating that he was sorry and just wanted to talk to me. I told him I just wanted to find my keys so I could go. He found them and I proceeded to my car. He then flipped out again telling me that his brother’s girlfriend and no one in his family liked me. I told him I didn’t give a * * * * about any losers in his family or his brother’s girl, he then started choking me again, this time I was terrified and screaming, he threw me in my car by the neck. While fighting with him, he dropped his phone in my car. I drove off and he proceeded to call me numerous times telling me to bring the phone back. I took the phone back then jumped in my car and left. He then called me and told me that he was going to kill himself and that he always loses people he loves and that he was sorry for choking me. Stupidly I felt bad and went back. He was walking around the neighborhood with a knife stating he was going to kill himself. I realized later that he just wanted my attention.

He actually told the woman he cheated on me with that me and him weren’t together and that I had someone beat him up and he hurt his hand. He was trying to get sympathy out of both of his because we both began to ignore him. He actually gave this woman my phone number so she could call me and he even asked me to lie to her and tell her that me and him were in fact not together and that I just couldn’t move on. I made him think I would actually lie for him, but when she called I told her that absolute truth. She had even told me that they were in a relationship and had been seeing each other since February 2008, around the time our relationship seemed to be the strongest. He finally admitted that he cheated on me but he blamed me for his cheating saying he cheated because I had been saying mean things to him and she was being name to him so he fell in love with her. I thought this was absolutely ridiculous but he blamed all the problems in our relationship on me, proceeded to tell me I wasn’t a good woman, and I am stupid for thinking I am a good woman and that I will never find a good man.

He then changed his phone number (which he gave to the woman he cheated on) and never talked to me again. I sent him a few emails telling him that I told he was a sociopath and that he should get a diagnosis. He proceeded to tell me I am stupid and that I just like to say negative things to him to make myself feel better and that is not the case. I really believe something is wrong with him. It went to jail at a very young age and had a very violent childhood where he stayed into trouble. He told me that he killed 189 people in lifetime, the first one being when he was 15 and 3 of them have been on the news in our home town. He told me that the only people that mattered to him were his family and that he had no remorse for anyone else. He also asked me if I knew what a manic depressive was, implying that he thought he may be one. I believe that he inherited his socipathy from one of his uncle’s. He said that the uncle haunts him and sometimes enters his body and he becomes violent. He told me stories of how his uncle would just randomly kill people but ensured me that he killed people for business purposes only, like if they owed in money. He told me that it’s nothing for him to kill someone.

The Beginning of My Recovery

How is it that these people can go from seemingly loving creatures to satanic devils that have no feelings or remorse for there actions or others? The sad part is that I am still in love with this ridiculous excuse for a man and human being. I know I could never go back to him, but he has damaged me in so many ways. He actually makes me think that I am not a good woman even though I did everything in my power to love him and please him. Not only did I move mountains to try and make him happy, I degraded myself by begging and allowing him to physically and mentally abuse me. He still thinks that this was my entire fault, and that he did nothing to hurt me. He blames me for the relationship going haywire. The sad part is that I know he’s already with someone else and I feel so bad for his next victim. I spent nearly $5,000 on this man and I hate that I did it. If any of you think you are with a sociopath, please get out! GET OUT NOW! I have to live with the fact that I was abused in so many ways and I need therapy after all of this. He gets to live his life happy never feeling any remorse for what he did to me or the women he cheated on me with. I know it’s a terrible thing to say but I hope he never gets married or be with any woman long term because he will be sure to ruin her and twist her mind into a huge knot of confusion. I almost wish he would come back begging just so I can tell him to get the hell on!

It always pains me to read stories like this, because those guys out there who are like that always create a bad aura that hovers around all guys, including the genuine gentleman who respect women. All I can say is that I'm glad your head is somewhat clear now, and you won't be getting back with this chump. At the same time, I hope the damage he has done to you hasn't tainted you to doubt future relationships with any truly great guys you end up meeting. You will meet a nice guy who will totally blow your socks off and treat you how you are supposed to be treated, and you will forget this loser about like a cigarette butt you just flicked out the window.

It always pains me to read stories like this, because those guys out there who are like that always create a bad aura that hovers around all guys, including the genuine gentleman who respect women. All I can say is that I'm glad your head is somewhat clear now, and you won't be getting back with this chump. At the same time, I hope the damage he has done to you hasn't tainted you to doubt future relationships with any truly great guys you end up meeting. You will meet a nice guy who will totally blow your socks off and treat you how you are supposed to be treated, and you will forget this loser about like a cigarette butt you just flicked out the window.

This is true because I am absolutely HORRIFIED to date anyone else. Everyone keeps telling me start going out and meeting new people and I will but seriously I think I need therapy after this and I really want to work on myself, because I know I am not perfect either. I don't see myself dating for a long time as I am just to mortified at what the outcome would be. Every time I think about dating anyone else I get scared.

Why do you love him?

I love the person he showed me in the beginning which was this facade of a seemingly perfect man (as perfect as a man would get). He was so sweet, loving and genuine in the beginning but the moment I found out he was cheating he began treating me like pure sh*t. I admit that I wasn't perfect but he took the physical and mental abuse and manipulation WAY to far. So I'm in love with who I thought he was, NOT who he really is. I despise the person he really is.

This is the second "sociopath" thread I have read and responded to in the past 15 minutes. They seem to be coming out of the woodwork. A few comments 1) The rate of cheating in marriages and serious relationships is well over the 50% mark, so you could say that "most" partners cheat. Does that mean that "most" partners are sociopaths? 2) You enabled his behavior by constantly forgiving him and taking him back. He lost too much respect for you and gained too much power in the relationship. Your story should be read by ANYONE who forgives a cheater. Much more often than not, this is what happens down the line. By the time one partner has cheated, the relationship was already over, the cheating, and the reaction and acceptance of it by the "cheated on" partner only makes the problem worse and is the final nail in a coffin that was already closed a long time ago.

What I have taken from your comment is that it is my fault he cheated on me in the first place but I could be wrong. I do agree that my forgiving him gave him power over me he has even told me that "I am unarmed in this game" and that makes me think the he knows he has caused me major damage and I have absolutely no defense against it. I hate to sound like the victim, and I may have unintentionally caused him to treat me in a crappy manner but regardless he had no right to cheat on me or physically abuse me either.

What I have taken from your comment is that it is my fault he cheated on me in the first place but I could be wrong.

No, I am not saying that at all! It's partially your fault for forgiving him and taking him back, which in the long run enabled him to continue the behavior. Sometimes it "is" partly the partners fault when they are cheated on because they are not giving their partner what they need...but I did not get that from your story.

No, I am not saying that at all! It's partially your fault for forgiving him and taking him back, which in the long run enabled him to continue the behavior. Sometimes it "is" partly the partners fault when they are cheated on because they are not giving their partner what they need...but I did not get that from your story.

I agree with this.

It is not your fault he cheated, but when we continue to enable people to treat us poorly at some point in our lives we should take the accountability and move on.

I am sorry you were treated so poorly, but in the future please learn from this experience and do not tolerate being treated like this.

This is something many can easily get caught up in. Just moving forward take a stand for yourself and do not allow it.

This is a really scary story, isn't it? He certainly does sound like he has the traits of a sociopath (now called "Antisocial Personality Disorder").

He reminds me a lot of my previous boyfriend, who I thought had Narcissistic Personality Disorder.. Soooo much in common! Words, actions, justification.

These guys pour the charm on as bait, and once they catch you, they throw you in the frying pan.

They really do not have regret or empathy. They care about nobody. They live in a ridiculously intricate creation of elaborate lies and secret worlds.

If I may be so bold, I would like to offer some advice based on my hard-learned lessons dealing with a very similar man. If the advice is unwelcome, then disregard!

1. You feel love for him still. I know that feeling very well. And I know it is confusing and can even cause shame because you know he does not deerver your love. Here's the truth: it is not love! There is a reason that some women get involved with these guys (or whatever gender the people are) and some don't. Your cousin found him creepy. My mother instantly disliked and didn't trust my ex. She felt he was dangerous. I don;t know you, so can only tell you what made me blind to his true nature for so long: being raised in an environment where I was given inconsistent love and attention so I never knew when I'd be neglected or provoke a rage. I adapted by continually trying to please, to figure out why I was wrong or bad, and why I didn;t get the love I needed. That set me up perfectly for my ex. Even after I broke up with him, I still contacted him and kept seeing him for months, and felt heartbroken. NOT because I loved him, but because I was back on that roller coaster I knew SO well, but subconsciously. And I desperately wanted to win his love, approval, attention. This is the pattern that keeps abused women unable to leave men who beat them. It is widely misunderstood. One thing that helped me was tracking down an ex of his, who had the exact same situation, except it took her four years to break free after the relationship ended. It took me 8 months of deep depression.

2. He is pure toxin. He may say and do anything to get your attention back. They call it his "supply" for narcissistic personality disorder people. My ex was still trying to get that woman I mention above to be on his Myspace and all that, ten years after she told him to never contact her again. He kept emailing me highly inappropriate emails for a year and a half until I just stopped responding at all. Once he got nothing from me, he stopped trying, for now! They do not like being rejected and try to keep charming as long as they can before giving up.

3, You may find that the affects of this relationship are rather long lasting. I think I suffered from some version of PTSD for a couple of years. I talked to professionals who said that women who have been both physically and mentally abused (my ex did that choking too, isnt that weird?), say that the emotional abuse is even HARDER to get over than the physical. As you say, it creeps into your self-esteem and all of these other areas you don't even realize. Be patient with yourself, rebuild. You are not to blame. And NOTHING he told you is true. Usually these people are pretty intelligent, so they can find ways to insult you that actually pinpoint your own fears about yourself. That does not make their insults right, just particularly cruel. I had his insults coming back into my head for years, and each time I had to learn to say, "Those are his poisonous words that he carefully chose to wound me." and I had to stop listening to them.

All the best to you. You are so brave, smart, and strong to get away from him. Feel free to email me if you have questions or I can offer more pearls of wisdom. It is a terrible experience.

The good news is that true sociopaths are only about 5% of the population. So one out of 20 guys will be like this. But that means 95% of guys are not sociopaths. You just had the misfortunate to get involved with one.

So the good news is you now know what to look for, and don't have to ever do this again. You shouldn't be afraid to date, just recognize that if you see signs of a problematic relationship (especially cheating or compulsive lying), you need to throw the towel in and leave the relationship rather then continuing to go back again.

You fell in love with who you hoped he would be, or who he was maybe 20% of the time. He had a whole secret life he was keeping from you, but you were made aware of his rampant cheating many times and chose to continue with the relationship, so that was your mistake.

He was a sociopath and that was the cause of the problem, but you kept taking him back again and again even in the face of lying and cheating, so that is your problem. You need to recognize that feelings of love for someone won't change their character, and move on if you see anyone behaving this way again.

But i do think some counseling would be in order for you... to help you get past this and learn ways to prevent being abused in the future.

Thanks for your kinds words and I know what you mean about them being toxic. We have been emailing back and forth and he is trying to make me feel very low. I told him I thought he should get help for all the things he did too me and this is the email he sent me:

"lmao wow you arent worth any man pissing on if you were on fire your never going to be happy tell find a man that is just like your father and you can do just what your mother does talk * * * * and stay with him cause you arent cute by a long shot just something to do to past the time if you want to be honest lmao so say what you think what you well one you dont know were i am and three you might not want to park your car on santa rose late at nite again lmao you never what mite happen you know that is a very dangerous street over there lmao hey anything is possible good luck being alone"

I wanted to cry immediately. This is the same man who told me I was a beautiful person and that he loved me. All of a sudden since I tell him he needs help he want to tell me basically that I am nothing?? Not to mention he is threatening me in the last sentence. These are the kinds of things sociopath's do any say to make you feel really low. Please everyone, stay away from people like this.

That's the most horrible story I've read in a long time. I was involved with a girl who exhibited the exact same type of deceitful self-righteous psychotic behavior. She made me believe for 8 months that she was pregnant with my child. It was truly an Academy Award performance because I was scared * * * * less. Turns out it was BS and actually the child of her ex who shed been sleeping with, and she just wanted to go after me for child support since I'm the most stable, 'well off' guy she knew. She refuses to work, instead collecting welfare, and has 3 kids from 3 fathers whose child support she lives off of....yet she goes on with life believing firmly that she's a saint who has never made a bad choice in her life. It's sad. And she had the nerve to tell me I was a horrible person and everything was my fault.

Reading your story about that guy immediately made me remember this girl's character. She pulled the same exact type of manipulative BS on me that your ex BF pulled. It's sad that there are people like this in society, and sadder that even these people will probably find someone equally screwed in the head who will love them and stay with them for years, despite going through turmoil and abuse, and they'll live out their Jerry Springer lifestyles until the end of time because that's what their upbringing has taught them to be attracted to.

The good news is that true sociopaths are only about 5% of the population. So one out of 20 guys will be like this. But that means 95% of guys are not sociopaths. You just had the misfortunate to get involved with one.

Well that 5% of the population includes both males and females. So it would be more like 97-98% of guys (or girls) are sociopaths, or one out of every 40

I am worried that he threatened you like that. Maybe I am over reacting, but I think you should talk to someone official. Police like. I don't know. It is not good, though. Can you ask someone for advice on that? Please?

Please- do not reply to him. Ever. Again. He will lose interest eventually but as long as he gets a reaction at all, even one that says, "Do not contact me again." he may keep trying. The only way to make them stop is to not give them any supply at all.

Can you stay somewhere else for awhile? Like with a friend? And ask people to go with you when you go out at night, etc? I don't know- maybe it's wrong of me to tell you to be scared of him, but he sounds vioient as heck. I know the bad guy I was with actually did stalk me, find me out with a male friend and scared the heck out of the male friend ("His eyes looked so crazy, and he had this crazy grin and pretended to be so calm.") He stalked his old girlfriend, too, and did things like completely smash up her car because she was on a date. He also hit her, broke her wrist, etc.. on different occasions.

And this guy has already CHOKED you in PUBLIC. I mean, he wasn't even trying to hide.

Does anyone else think it would be good to talk to someone official? Maybe call a women's center?

I agree, try to get a RO on him and whatever you do, cut off contact with him. Nothing you can say to him is ever going to get through and penetrate his deficient brain, so why bother? It's not making you feel any better. Leaving bootprints all over his face would make me feel better, the * * * * * * * .

I had an ex like this...cheating, lying etc etc... that email especially is something he did. He did this nonstop for months, I had the police after him a few times. Seriously DO NOT cry over this ***hole and what he said. His words mean nothing, he is just saying all that crap cause he knows you "figured" him out. He isn't happy with himself, that's why he craps on you.

Just be happy you got out of this crazy toxic relationship. He will never be happy treating people this way, he will live a miserable life. Be glad you wont be in it! I know the breakup is still fresh so you feel awful but as time goes on, things will get easier. You will remain a good person and he will remain an ***hole.

Keep your head up!

P.S - you probably should talk to the police or someone, like I did. He might not do anything BUT you never know. You can never be too sure about people like that.

Don't let those crude words get to you, they are 100% in spite.

After tormenting me in numerous emails and saying really hurtful and nasty things to me, he sent me this message on facebook:

Subject: I AM SORRY

"hey all in all sweetie i am happy for you but you know that and like always i well have your back no matter i am sorry if i hurt you in any kinda of way and i am sorry that thing didnt work out between us they way you wanted it to and i am sorry that i did what i did no bs no bull * * * * just (name removed) the same guy you met 3 years i know this guy wont be around long but hey thats just what i know i am saying that i am sorry for all the pain i cause and please dont make him pay for it oh and checking and make sure your not carrying my baby again .... i well always care and love you my 6"9 lmbo but this well be the last message you get from me until the future but not no time soon HOLLA"

All of a sudden he is sorry because I told him that I moved on and he's can't hurt me anymore. He's sent me 3 messages since then and I have not responded to any and I never will. Things like this is what made it so difficult to stay away but I know sociopath's apologies are cheap and mean nothing. If only he was normal like the rest of us

Hi, I have been reading your posts and just had to respond.

He is definitely a psycho...run far away from him, stay far away from him and never look back. You can do much better. Also, never let your guard down. I have a strange feeling you will hear from him again. People like him do not give up easily.

Not trying to scare you, just want you to be aware of your surroundings.

God Bless and take care.

That's great that you are not giving him the pleasure of responding anymore! It also sounds like that message you just posted was also a bunch of BS, nobody in their right mind is going to cuss you out like he did and then wake up and send a nice message like that and mean it. He's just trying to get more of a response from you by trying to lighten the mood up.

Are you really 6'9" ???????

This is one really scary guy. Is he just posting the latest "nice" message (I didn't think it was THAT nice) so everyone else can see it, just to make himself look good? (Not sure how facebook works, sorry)

I would delete and block him from every possible way of communicating with you, like you dropped off the face of the earth. It's a shame he knows where you live (or at least knows the street where he told you to stay away from ) DO NOT RESPOND or have any contact with him at all-he sounds incredibly unstable and vindictive.

I would also show this to the police or get some advice from a legal/community type of resource, so that if he DOES approach you in a violent manner (God forbid) then someone close to you will know that he is capable of doing harm to you.

Protect yourself and good luck!

That's great that you are not giving him the pleasure of responding anymore! It also sounds like that message you just posted was also a bunch of BS, nobody in their right mind is going to cuss you out like he did and then wake up and send a nice message like that and mean it. He's just trying to get more of a response from you by trying to lighten the mood up.

Are you really 6'9" ???????

Lol, no I am 6'0-6'1ish...he just calls me that

He is very vindictive and I will NEVER reply to him. Someone here told me that replying to him (a sociopath) would be like giving them supply and I definitely don't want to do that. I feel like the moment I reply, I am giving him the opportunity to torment me with negativity again and I know he will get a kick out of that. I don't want him to get a kick out of hurting so I will just leave alone. He isn't worth anyway. I completely understand that now.

Archived