Need to urinate a LOT in certain situations

Hi,

For the last couple years I have found myself needing to urinate 3 or 4 times per hour on certain occasions, in certain situations.

I'm fine if I'm at the mall, going to the movies, at home, at a friend's place or in a restaurant.

But if I'm on a train or bus, in a business meeting, at a conference or at church, I need to pee quite a lot, often about 3 or 4 times per hour. I do pass some urine each time so it's not just the feeling, but the quantity still isn't much.

I went to see my doctor and he said he couldn't find any physical problems. He scanned by bladder and he said it had voided (emptied), but I still needed to go and pee again.

I've come to the conclusion that it's psychological, as I suffered some bladder problems when I was a kid and because I'm going through a stressful time right now (I'm 29) I reckon the feelings have come back, as my need to pee is always accompanied by what feels like a panic attack. I can breathe but I start sweating (only a little), getting restless and playing with my hands, touching my nose or whatever and feeling like everyone's looking at me. On a train or bus, I have to sit near the walkway/aisle, or else I won't get on, if I have to sit between the window and another person. I like to know that I've got the option to go to the bathroom without drawing attention to myself.

I've never actually peed myself for years, since I was a kid, but I always feel I might do when I'm in a stressful situation.

Has anyone else suffered similar stuff?

Hi, if I were you, I would ask your doctor for a referral to a Urologist. They specialize in that and might have come accross this situation before.

Also, try taking this question to some health/urology forums and see if you can get some help that way.

good luck!

I have been to see a urologist and he said he can't find anything physically wrong, although I don't think he tried enough, as I did have surgery on my penis when I was a kid, although I don't think this should affect my bladder.

It feels like my muscle there has been damaged, perhaps because on some occasions in the past I strained too hard to get every last drop of urine out? So perhaps I should try pelvic exercises?

But I only need to pee a lot in certain situations and it's not boredom. It feels like fear of man, as I sweat, get restless and feel like I need space. If I can move about I'm ok, it's if I have to sit ridgid and still in situations, then I need to pee a lot. It's like my whole lower body has tensed itself really right, so if the person next to me whispers something to me, I jump out of my skin and think I'll pee myself.

I agree with one reply, that it's due to nerves. I'm under a lot of stress. And once when I was doing a public speech when I was a kid, I did pee myself, maybe wth "stage fright", so my mind constantly thinks about that.

And whenever I do go to the pee, it relaxes me (I get the same feeling with ejaculation) so I guess my body psychologically encourages itself to urinate, to feel calmer. But I need to get out of this routine, as it's killing my life.

How do you overcome that psychological, mental urge? I mean, when I get the urge, I do generally urinate, it's not a "false alarm" where I stand there and nothing happens.

I always worry that if I try and ignore the urge, something sudden may trigger me to pee myself, so I always go if I have the feeling/urge.

How do you overcome that psychological, mental urge? I mean, when I get the urge, I do generally urinate, it's not a "false alarm" where I stand there and nothing happens.

I always worry that if I try and ignore the urge, something sudden may trigger me to pee myself, so I always go if I have the feeling/urge.

you ever see that movie 'waiting'? you are going to have to psyche yourself out and get it burned in your head somehow. it's like learning to change how you ride a bicycle so you don't fall as much.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I think iv sort of got the same problems - they started about a year ago after a very large weekend out with the lads. The next week at work I was needing to go to the bathroom constantly upto possibly 5 time an hour. I spent more time in the bathroom than at my desk I think.

I went to see the doctor who did some basic urine sample tests, and took some blood and had it sent for assessment. Nothing was showing up and after about a week things got better... however...

I can still be in a meeting and suddenly need to go to the bathroom even when im in a room of people I know, or in a conference, or on plane. I also have the urge to go to the bathroom when im in the gym as well. Occasionally when im out for walks I need to go too.

Part of me thinks its how im sitting if something is pressing against something and irratating something connected to my bladder, other times it could be nerves. I seem to get some relief when standing up, but the urge is still there.

It is very frustrating, especially when you get to the bathroom and you dont actually produce any urine.

It does not seem to effect me at home lying on the sofa, and I can sleep all night without needing to go to the bathroom. If it is physicological I cannot understand why it started.

• 4 weeks later...

I was very surprised to read that someone else is suffering from the exact same thing as me. Everything I read on your post I can relate to. My nerves go so crazy, I can't think of anything except getting to a washroom when in the wrong social situation. When I am at home, at a friends, restaurant, any place with an easy access to a washroom I'm fine. Even at work i am ok, but if I am called into a surprise meeting, not good. I have to run to the washroom before going(even if i just went) and 20mins into the meeting all i can think of is getting to a washroom. I have this huge fear that I am going to have an accident in front of everyone.

This hole thing started about a year ago. I avoid getting into a car with other people. The worst is when I am not driving(sitting in the back seat...never!). I am better if i am driving, but again with people in the car, even my best friends it gets tough. I don't take buses, trains, or planes with no washrooms on them. I must sit in the aile when i do take a trip on a bus, train or plane.

This whole thing is making me shut myself in... I avoid things i would like to do for fear of "that" feeling. I had an accident about 10 years ago and it freaked me out. But I was fine for years after. Why all of a sudden this fear is running my life?

• 3 months later...

i have the same problem. i play sports (football and softball) and it doesnt matter if i go pee right before we start playing. i will have to pee during the game. last week during football, i had to pee close to 5 times. its usually not a lot either, and last week, the last time i went, nothing really came out.

ive been on the field and was what felt like seconds away from peeing all over myself. i LOVE playing sports, but its becoming unbearable and its becoming a nuisance.

i also had surgery on my penis when i was a child. the urethra was too small and it had to be enlarged.

oh my gosh. this is me. you just described what i go through. i was in a class last week. and i swear i had to pee every 30 mins. i also have a hard time and it really affects me when i dont know what to expect. even if me and my gf go out to eat and im just wondering how its going to be and if we'll get good service, i start getting nauseous and having to pee.

Hello Bathroomtrip,

I have the exact same problem and I am desperate for help. I cannot control my urge to urinate in certain situations. I get this urge frequently at work; before I make important sales calls, before I present a new idea to the boss, before I enter a meeting or get into a car for a long trip. I always must sit on an isle near a restroom on an airplane.

I went to a uroligist and checked out fine, physically. He explained that this is a psychgologial problem and has to do with the "fight or flight" response. Early on, when humans were evolving, and were confronted with a dangerous threat, the physical response was to empty the bladder so we could run away faster (flight) or be more effective to fight the threat. That's the explanation, but it didn't help me to hear it.

I suspect this problem has something to do with a stressful event in my life about 20 years ago, and I will continue to seek therapy and counciling. I was seeing a therapist, but he was a flake, I did not trust him and I don't think he respected me or my problem.

I think you are right-on when you say this urge to urinate is like a panic attack. That's it!! Do you still have this problem or have you solved it? If so what worked for you??? Please tell me as I am really suffering and it is affecting my self-esteem.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Best,

TW

• 1 month later...

The same thing happens to me... I get it mostly when im out with friends, car trips, meetings, or presentations (terrible experience), sometimes even in class. I've noticed in general it happens when im in a situation where i can't leave as frequently as I want. The same thing happens to me too where the feeling will just come out of no where, and i know it isnt an infection or anything like that because it totally vanishes when i get home or in a really comfortable situation. Lately I've been thinking up as many excuses as is possible to avoid any situations (ie. going to bars, trips that include lots of driving...) where this could happen, sometimes at the expense of coming up with the most irrational excuses. The difference between myself and the rest of you (i think) is that for me it sometimes feels like it has already started, my legs feel like they are wet, so ill make up an excuse to get the hell out of wherever i am and sure enough its always a false alarm. Either way this has been going on for over a year now and it is really starting to play a major role in everything i do, im really starting to get freaked out by the idea of having this awful fear for the rest of my life. Its so frustrating because when the day is over and you passed up a social event or acted in a strange manner because your having a panic attack, you know it was all in your head, but at the time, ignoring it just seems impossible. As for advice.. sorry guys i dont have any yet, but im working on it... Stay strong and remember that its all in your head...

• 4 weeks later...

i get exactly the same thing. in the classroom, churches, buses etc. i feel really uncomfortable, sweat slightly and my breathing goes a bit weird and ofcourse i feel like im about to pee myself. The only thing i can think about is getting out of there as quick as possible. i desperately try not to, coz i dont want to give into it, but sometimes its unavoidable.... WHAT DO I DO?!?! how do i escape it, its literally ruling my life...

WoW cant believe I have found people which suffer from the same thing I do.

I know its all in my mind as I am pretty certain I can pin point when it started and what caused it although i could be wrong.

About 2 years ago now, I did a certain drug for the first time and I was on the comedown and me and my mates where eating at subway when i suddenly felt sick I rushed to the toilet but nothing happened. So I thought nothing of it. Later that day we where in this car driving and I suddenly felt sick again nothing happened but I began to think of how embarrassing it would be if I throw up in my mates car.

We use to spend alot of time in his car and as time went on I no longer felt sick but I began to feel like I needed to pee all the time when I was in the car. I knew it would be some embarrassing if I did and I would not be able to live it up.

When it happened I use to being to sweat and I would get really nervous and I could not sit still I would have to keep moving my hands. Also every few minutes I would feel a weird feeling in my leg and I would think I had peed myself but every time I checked nothing had happen.

First it was just when I was in his car but soon it began to happen when every I was in a closed space.

I do find if I am able to move around it does not happen so much.

Its been 2 years now and its just getting worse. I am at uni and now and it is being to really annoying me as sometimes I just cant go to lectures as I am so scared something will happened its also really annoying as I know its just in my head and that I should not be peeing myself. Its starting to effect my grades but I have no idea who I could talk to as my lectures would not believe me and I dont really what to go to them and tell the reason I miss lecture is because I think I am going to pee myself

I now have to go before I leave the house and then again when I get to uni before I go into my lecture.

If I even start to think about it the feelings start. Which annoys me as sometimes it happens like 10 mins after I have just gone and I know in my mind that there is no way I should pee myself and that i should just relax and focus on something else but I also think if I relax that I will pee myself.

If I am on my own at home I am fine or somewhere where I know i can go to the toilet without being embarrassed.

I really dont know what to do I am really scared that this will effect me for my whole life.

Edit: WoW it feels good to have written that, I have never told anybody about this not my parents or even my Girlfriend and it feels like I have taken a load off my chest.

Listen right, I get all teh smae problems as everyone on here so I'm not going to go through it all again, but I have some advice for you all on how to overcome this.

I used to be really bad but now I am a lot better for these reasons...

- As contradictive as it sounds you need to stay off forums like these.. get the problem out in the open once or twice then stop talking about it. The more you discuss it, the more it's on your mind and the more it will be on your mind when you dont want it to be.

- As stupid as it seems, place an empty bottle in your car so that if you ever get "them" feelings you can just think to yourself "If I REALLY had to go, I could literally jus do it in that bottle and dispose of it... embarasing situation gone". This works for me a lot, as time goes by you get so comftorable knowing the bottle is there if you need it, that you forget the need to go... it eliminates the "panic" as there is a solution out.

- Sometimes if it gets really bad and your in a situation just look around, think to yourself "hang on... so what if I have to jump up out the room and go, it's nature, people will think no less of me for it" or if your in aplace where you cant get to a toilet, again just think "so what if I pee myslef, I could say I fell in a puddle or jus not give a crap about it, when I go home I dont need to see these ppl again". Basically just say to yourself sometimes... SO WHAT!

- Also you HAVE to break the routine, if you go to the toilet religiously before you leave teh house then you need to start training yourself not to, otherwise believe me, this will NEVER go away! I started by sometimes just blocking the thoughts ouyt compeltely for short trips, for example if a friend came to pick me up, i'd just jump straight in his car with a sort of, well too late now mentality and then start a normal discussion to take my mind off it. I did this a few rimes and gradually built it up to longer journeys until I could go out the house without going evry single time. Sometimes it's nature, you have to go, but NOT every time! Break this routine ppl or there will be hard times to come I can promise you that.

I hope this helps you guys cos it has for me, keep me updated

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, there are a lot of people that are in the same situation as me.

I've been feeling the need to urgently pee in a panic attack way for the past year. Initially, it started out after drinking coffee and being in the car, or standing in line at a club after drinking quite a bit of liquor before hand and having to urgently go, which seemed pretty normal.

Nowadays, I feel the need to urgently go everytime I'm in the car, even if I've just went. I get sweaty hands, fidgety, and am driving fast to get to my destination. If i'm a passenger, the feeling is way worst and a situation i like to avoid. At the gym I feel like I need to go every 15 minutes and I'f I'm doing any excercise that puts pressure on my abdomen I feel like I might go right there

!

I've also recently been in social situations (infront of females) where I've had to rush to the bathroom, then go again 2-3 more times within one hour, which was embarassing.

Standing in lines, in the car, in meetings at work, and the gym are the worst. When I'm at home, or at the office, I'm quite alright. The thing is, I don't know if its completely psychological or not because I get this feeling on my lower abdomens where it feels like my bladder has to empty itself even though its empty. Sometimes it lasts for a couple hours into the night until I fall asleep.

I also get constipated sometimes and I've heard some of the digestive track can put pressure on your bladder and make you pee more frequently. However, I took laxatives and ruled this out.

I'm a smoker, cigarettes and weed daily, coffee as well. Al though I've toned all of those things down and avoided the gym and my problem seems to improve a bit, but nonetheless, its still there.

The reason why I think it may be psychological is because I've had two experiences where I literally almost wet my pants infront of a lot of people. Once was in the car stuck in traffic with friends on the freeway. i had to run out to the emergency lane in a panic and pee cause I almost went in my pants. And a recent occasion i litereally almost pee'd in my pants standing in line at a club and while going up an elevator.

I did some research and I think it could be a bladder infection. I don't have health benefits now so I'm not sure what to do, but by judging some of your guys responses who have visited a physician, medical attention doesn't sound very helpful.

Any other ideas or solutions to this extremely annoying problem???

• 3 weeks later...

Okay,

So to report back, i ended up going to the doctor for a throat cold I caught. i also explained to the doctor about my urination issues. She did you a urine test and it came back positive for a bacterial infection which the Doctor had even said is pretty rare among men.

She said its nothing too serious, and fairly easy to treat in most cases. She prescribed an antibiotic called Amox ($60 with no insurance), and said to take it for 7 days and it should be treated.

I'm really excited to finally get rid of this extremely annoying problem. This is the first day I'm taking the medication, I'll report back after a week and share if the problem was completely wiped out.. =)

• 6 months later...

Hey,

I have the EXACT same problem. I think it started as a kid, my mum said go the bathroom before school, before class etc just in case and I took it literally. For years I got really nervous in situations where I felt I couldnt go like on trains, buses, in class.

I saw a psychaitrist who gave me breathing exercises, and the 'what if' technique. If you make a mental list of what could be the worse thing to happen and in reality what is really gonna happen you calm yourself down.

Ive been fine for years but recently due to stress and moving away to live abroad I find myself more and more nervous. I even clock watch to assess how long its been since i went to the bathroom and when I will go to a bathroom next. Its hard being older trying to snap out of it again. I find if you relax your body and try not to panic it helps. The more you fidget, wriggle, tense and move around the more adrenaline makes you want to go. Lets help each other!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Iam Oggy and this is my first post:

I have pretty much the same symptoms as many of you have reported here.

I have had this problem for almost two years now. I ccan remember the first time the urge to pee hit me and and I was driving back from a job with a friend. Stuck in traffic I had to leap out of the car and run to a rest room in a local super market.

It freaked me out.

That even I was due to meet my girlfriend for a meal but as soon as we got seated the urge to urinate was huge. I was as if the muscles that stop you peeinf were about to give way.

Need less to say the date did not go well and i drove home with a clamping urge to pee for 8 miles. Once I got home I must have drank about 4 litres of water as I suspected a bladder infection.

I went to my doctor the next day and was given a 5 day course of antibiotics. I struggled at work whilst taking the medication. Driving had become a complete nightmare as soon as I got in the car it felt like I was in a battle with the muscles that control the urge to pee. After the meds were completed and no improvement I went back to the GP and explained the urge was still there. It was a locum GP and he perscribed so anti inflamtory medication ??? took this for 17 days all the while struggling with this crippling urge to Pee. Eventually I could take no more and I went back to see the GP (another locum) who took urine samples and perscribed more antibiotics. for 7 days after about 5 days I felt slightly better but not back to normal went back and GP issued another dose for 7 more days.

As driving was so painful/stressful my boss limited me to office only work for a month. In the mean time the hospital had lost my urine sample so I had to complete another sample.

One day I had to go to court to obtain a warrent and I stood in the witness box sweating and fidgeting as the urge to pee was huge, once finally through with the court procedings I rushed to the toilet where I noticed as few drops of blood or blood tinged urine as I finished. I rang my GP and explained what had happened and the general non improvement of my situation. The GP arranged for a Cystoscopy (a camera pushed into the bladder via the scenic route) Specialist had a look around my bladder and declared all ok. A few days after the cystoscopy the urge and pain hit with a vengance. Another course of Antibiotics. (Urine test results showed bacteria coli form I think ) The new medications did nothing so Gp asked me to attend Sexual health clinic (Very embarrassing) Got there and did the tests........very interesting that the Nurse who did the ureathral swab said that there was obvious puss cells. Spoke to the Doctor there who said that whilst the infection was not of a sexual nature they would treat as a NSI Non specific Infection..................subsquently a further two perscriptions of Doxycycline were perscribed as they seemed to have no effect.

I continued to struggle with work but not driving really helped. I was asked to pick a member of staff up from a depot and got there with no problem........the return journey was impossible the staff member had to drive me homeand stop every 5-10 minutes as the urge to pee was terrible.

That was my last day at work for 6 months............I went to GP explained the whole situation to him (another locum) and said I wanted to re referred to the urologists. The situation got worse and I was house bound.......

After CT scan, Xray, Cystoscopy, Urine samples, Seaman samples, Flow Rate examinations and Bladder pressure tests they have still not been able to pin point what is the cause of the problem. Nearly two years have passed and I an still being seen by the Urologist every 12 weeks...........I am back at work but driving is still horrible some times. I am currently taking medication that is meant to relax the muscles in the bladder ........I have tried 3 different types with some success although far far from total victory. The next step is to take amytryptaline ??? as it can be used to deaden the nerves.

I have even had some cognative hypno therapy sessions that sort of help but not to any great extent. My life has been on hold and relationships are difficult as these normally involve driving or going to places that did not have toilets or access to toilets quickly.

I have noticed that I am fine if I sit at home or at friends or familys houses. I am fine at my desk but as soon as I sit in a meeting or interview or start to drive the urge and clapping muscles come back. I am tensed up waiting for that moment I can step out of the meeting.

Often when I drive as soon as I hit the homeward straight I find the urge goes or lessens. I also find if I stop the care and stand up I normally feel ok for a further 15-25 minutes. Even when I was pretty bad I used go out at 2am for long drives and I was normally ok, slight discomfort. I think I was more relaxed about it as there was no traffic and if I wanted to pull up and take a pee then at 2am its not a problem.

I am actually thinking about having the windows of my car tinted (drug dealer style) so that I can hope in the back and take a leak if the urge gets too great.

I would love to hear anything that might shed some more light on this problem. I have recently been diagnosed as a diabetic and currently taking medication to control BS.

I understand that diabetics are at a higher risk of getting this type of problem any advice from diabetics out there. Its my intention to see if I am able to reverse my diabetes if possible....one thing at a time.

Thanks for listening.

Oggy

It's funny you mention the 'stress' thing because I was telling a friend of mine, when I was small and I use to go to the mall with my mum (I'm talking about 5) and she'd leave me alone, I'd panic when I couldn't find her and I remember vividly that when I would panic about losing her, I'd have the urge to urinate as well. It was usually stressful situations. But as far as it is now, and why you're suddenly experiencing this, it's strange. It's absolutely psychological and not physiological. There doesn't seem to be any pathophys reason for it; especially when you've had it ruled out by specialists.

well one major thing to look out for is the fact that sometimes very frequent urination is a sign of diabetes. that's not to say to worry yourself sick but a good fyi. i got tested for it just under a year ago when that and a couple other things were cause for concern. thankfully nothing came of it.

anyway, interesting that you pointed out it seems like the more physically sedentary you are the more likely it is to happen- i noticed the same pattern with myself.

Archived