Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do people that break up ever get back together and live happily ever after?

So many people make up to break up and make up to break up until there is just no more to give or take. I've been there many times and am going through that now. Does this story ever end up good or does it always end in failure .
    May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make
    you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you
    happy.

Quote Originally Posted by millaj View Post
    So many people make up to break up and make up to break up until there is just no more to give or take. I've been there many times and am going through that now. Does this story ever end up good or does it always end in failure .
    I never really thought about that. For me the though of getting back together is such a happy thought that I didn't think about the life after we get back together( if) .I mean we have seen it happen in movies ! but i haven't heard it in real life,.
    Best way to not get your heart broken,
    is to pretend you don't have one.

Massari, that's true.. the thought of getting back together is always happy. It's great for the first couple of days or even weeks, then the same issues start popping back up again. Well in my experience anyways.
    May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make
    you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you
    happy.

Platinum Member knightNshiningarmor's Avatar
    haha...just got back with my ex...ill get back to you two.
    Utopia would be perfectly boring.

Silver Member
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 1.5 years. During the first year we were broken up for several months. While broken up we still talked daily and "dated" each other. We didn't actually get back together until we had worked out our issues. It's been about 6 months now and we are more serious than ever. We're both very happy and don't see it ending anytime soon (marriage and him moving to live closer to me have been topics of conversation).

I think it's key we didn't go on/off/on/off all the time just for the drama. Our inability to be truly broken up made us realize that our relationship had lasting value and was worth the effort to work things out. It's hard not to have insecurities because of our past (if we broke up before... it could happen again), but we really resolved our old issues and continue to fall more and more in love.

So far, so good over here

Silver Member
    I think it does happen, but doesnt happen ever often.

I think it's an exception to the rule, but it happens. Examples:

Good friend of the family's son had a high school sweatheart through most of college/med school. I believe they broke up for about a year, not sure how often they talked, and he traveled around and did the single life for a while. After that, they got back together and got married.

Another friend of a friend dated someone in college, then she went away to grad school and they broke up for 1.5 years, with very very little contact. After that separation, they began talking again and realized how much they missed each other and now they are engaged.

I can't say first-hand if these couples are really really happy, as I do not know them all that well. But it does happen.

Platinum Member
    For us it seems to be working well because we were apart for 8 years - with only sporadic e-mail contact and one very quick meal - 100% platonic! - 6 years after we ended things - before getting back together. On the other hand I've been in on again off again relationships where we broke up a number of times and got back together several months later and in that case, the time apart wasn't long enough to let us get a truly fresh start. (but I wouldn't ever generalize from my experiences - it so depends on why you broke up, if trust was broken, what happened while you were broken up, etc). The other part for me about the time apart is that we both truly changed -matured, increased confidence, experiences (not just relationship experience) that changed our outlooks on certain things.

I've gotten back together with an ex more than twice... ends up in shambles if you don't truly work on yourselves individually because the same issues will still be there.

Initially it's all great because it's "Wow! S/he loves me, we're back together, I'm sooo happy!" that you kind of forget WHY you broke up in the first place.

I'm not saying all relationships that are rekindled end up in flames, but I'd say if something doesn't change (either with you or your partner), it will most likely fail.
    "And I hope one day you see nobody has it easy." - John Legend <3

Silver Member
    It seems to be a common denominator that when the people BU, they atleast have LC

Even though my ex broke up with me to "find herself" and told me how much she loved me even days after the BU, she has been NC since then (2 months ago) I highly doubt to ever speak to her again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...