I need tips on how to look older (clothing, hair, etc.)

xika5

I'm 20 years old (female) yet I look much younger. I'm not short, but I have this innocent little girl face and I have a small build. Also I think maybe the clothes I wear aren't helping. I've had the same style for a couple of years now and it's getting boring (jeans, nice young tops). I don't wear my hair down because it's long and it's bothersome to have it all over my face, and I'm not used to it, so I almost always wear it in a pony tail. I wear makeup already. I think it's time for a wardrobe change. I've noticed I tend to buy the same type of clothing over and over...and it's not very "mature" looking. It's pretty young. I want to look more mature, BUT I do not want to look too old, you know? Like I don't want to wear something my mom would, I want to dress mature, but fun and classy. Any suggestions? Maybe you can send me some links on outfits or some stores where I could shop so that I can get an idea. Any advice and input is appreciated. It's sooo frustrating to get mistaken all the time for someone much younger!

I'm not too sure what American trends are like, but from what I can tell, unless you're rich and famous, they are pretty sporty and plain.

A good British fashion at the moment is to wear shirts with waist belts.. Just tie a belt around your thinnest part of your waist and hey presto a sophisticated new look, whilst keeping it quite young. You can wear it with jeans or black trousers/any colour. It's a simple way to look sexy!

im sorry, i wont be much help here because i am a guy who does not desire a mature-dressing woman, nor have i seen many in my day, and i really dont have any valuable input..... but i just read this post and i thought you might be my girlfriend...

anyways, honestly, im as stumped as you are on this whole dressing maturely thing.

its kind of a grey area right now too.

i mean, do you wear like, thrift-store-ironic tee shirts or like, tees that have cute things on them?

to make that more mature, just wear some normal tshirts without graphics and do a sweet job layering them with other coloured tee shirts...

i dunno, lol.

like, really, there is no mature style unless you wanna wear a pants-suit.

but, who wants to be a business woman like that?

i hope you find something that works for you, but i honestly vote that you should just dress how you think is comfortable and cute

I have the same problem.

Here's what I do-

Use layers in your wardrobe, coats over dresses. But short coats- not lumpy sweaters.

Try to wear solids instead of bold patterns.

Wear heals and dressier shoes instead of sneakers.

Here's the Key- Accessorize ! But not too much. Choose one piece of antique looking jewelry. Like a long necklace.

Why not try pinning your hair with barrettes instead of a ponytail. It'll stay off your face and it's easy to do.

Not sure where you are located- so I'll suggest chain stores that are around most of the country -

1. Express- They sell lots of sophisticated solids that are classy.

2. Forever 21- They are chic and classy.

3. Charlotte Russe- They carry a lot of nice short jackets

You really could do anywhere- It's pieces you want- clothes that you can wear with more than one thing.

Hope this helps !

Lol no I don't dress like that. In fact I wear what other girls my age would wear but I look so much younger!! I hate my young looking face. That's why, if I can't change my face, then I should change my wardrobe lol. I was thinking maybe to start wearing classier, more sophisticating looking clothes, not too business-y but something more classy like white or black pants with a cute blouse and classier shoes as opposed to flip flobs and sneakers. Btw how old are you?

I have the same problem.

Here's what I do-

Use layers in your wardrobe, coats over dresses. But short coats- not lumpy sweaters.

Try to wear solids instead of bold patterns.

Wear heals and dressier shoes instead of sneakers.

Here's the Key- Accessorize ! But not too much. Choose one piece of antique looking jewelry. Like a long necklace.

Why not try pinning your hair with barrettes instead of a ponytail. It'll stay off your face and it's easy to do.

Not sure where you are located- so I'll suggest chain stores that are around most of the country -

1. Express- They sell lots of sophisticated solids that are classy.

2. Forever 21- They are chic and classy.

3. Charlotte Russe- They carry a lot of nice short jackets

You really could do anywhere- It's pieces you want- clothes that you can wear with more than one thing.

Hope this helps !

Hey those are good tips! I like the layering suggestion. I just noticed my closet is full of very young looking tops, not mature or professional AT ALL. That idea about pieces that you can wear with more than one thing is a good tip for when I go shopping, thanks!!

Sometimes a new look is helped along by starting with the hair!

I'd avoid plain ponies, long simple cut, headbands, and barrettes.

Find a good stylist, get a nice cut and maybe a color. You can explain to them what you are going for (young maturing woman, rather than a girl).

There are also a lot of easy, classic styles you can do with medium length to long hair that can bring sophistication in a cinch. To get you by until your appointment! lol.

As an example: a french twist, or updo a la Audrey Hepburn instead of a pony.

My mainstay is a simple french twist with a fairly prominent side part with a bit of make-up and good to go. Young but mature enough to be taken seriously. Example:

image removed

Anyways, have fun!!

It's all about you and what you like...so have some fun experimenting! Being your age is a fabulous time to just go wild!

Hey, I'm also twenty- nearly 21, and have a very young looking face. I got asked for ID buying a lottery ticket the other day, which would mean that I look under 16! I'm also very small and feel more comfortable in jeans and converse trainers. I've found that a few things that help me look older, which I tend to do when I go out, is to try and wear sophisticated clothes.

Eg rather than wearing a denim mini skirt or jeans and a brightly coloured t shirt, wear a sophisticated little black dress that emphasises your waist and bust and add a delicate fitted cardigan and heels. Fitted blouses and black blazer style jackets also look grown up, and can be made less 'business' like by wearing with jeans.

If you don't want to wear heels all the time but find trainers, or as you americans say 'sneakers' to childish, try some pretty pumps or shoes with a very small heel. I'd also recommend wearing your hair down. Hope this helps! And remember, we'll be the ones who will look 10 years younger when we're old ;-)

I agree with the hair ideas, I used to wear mine up in a pony tail all the time and I think wearing it down has made a big difference for me. What does your hair look like right now? Do you dye it or is it natural? Is it curly or straight? What do you normally do with it when it's not in a pony tail?

If you don't like what your hair looks like right now go to a salon and tell them you want to look older. Your best bet would be to find a salon that has student stylists because they will know what is fashionable right now and will be able to give you good ideas on what you can try.

Try curling your hair, it makes me look older.

Go to the make-up or find a woman that sells Mary Kay or Avon that sort of thing to get a makeover and learn make-up tricks to make yourself look older. For make-up I would aviod the black eyeliner, it seems to make people look younger.

Wear shirts that have 3/4 length sleeves. Watch What Not to Wear to get tips on clothing.

Look in cataloges for ideas.

• 5 months later...

I'm 21 and I have a similar problem. I've gotten a lot of comments/looks about how young I look and recently I've been trying to change that a little.

1. Think about getting a haircut...you don't necessarily have to cut your hair really short, but cut a few inches off and layer it so that you feel more comfortable wearing it down, because that will definitely help age you.

2. When you wear makeup, make sure you accentuate EITHER your eyes or your lips, not both.

3. When you shop for clothes, shop in the misses/women's/petite's departments, avoid juniors' departments.

4. When you do wear jeans, wear nicer shoes/sandals.

5. You can buy tops with prints/designs on them, but avoid pictures/logos.

6. Instead of wearing jeans all the time, buy a nice pair of black pants and wear those. You can get fairly nice inexpensive black pants at Kohls/Target/Wal-Mart. (ranging from $20-40)

7. Some stores I've bought from (it won't let me post the URLs, but just google them).

Chadwicks - good place to buy both tops/pants

Venus - good place to buy jeans, but their tops are kind of sl*tty

Kohls - good place to buy both tops and pants/jeans

NY and Company - I haven't bought from them but looking through their site might give you some ideas

JC Penny - haven't bought much from them online, but I do shop in their store & they have some good clothes there

Good luck and I hope those help!

Go for very basic and natural make-up

Remember less is more, and avoid glittery eye shadows or lipgloss.

Dont TRY too hard, if you have your cleavage on show, dont have your legs aswell, and vice versa.

Also, Plain tops rather than T-shirts work well.

Cardigans instead of hoodys, and jackets instead of hooded coats with fur and things like that.

Avoid trainers, wear flat shoes or sandals as said above.

Wear your hair down it will help your face mature, keep hair colour natural but add in a few tonal browns or reds.

Jeans are good sometimes as long as you get a fit that flatters your figure, and pair them with a nice shirt or top and sandals?

I have the trouble that i look far too old when im with my friends

xxx

Archived