Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I keep getting sick?

Gold Member

Why do I keep getting sick?

Well, lately I seem to be getting sick about once every two months. It's usually just a little cold that last maybe a week (one of them lasted nearly two), but it's very annoying to keep getting sick.

I just moved to a new city about six months ago, whereupon this new trend started (and, it is my first time living in a city, although I used to commute into one), but the same applies to my roommates, and they aren't having this problem. I also eat substantially healthier than either of my roommates, and still I'm the one who gets sick.

I ballroom dance frequently, and I'm generally associating with more people than my roommates, so I guess that might be the cause. But I wash my hands frequently--so frequently that my hands are always dried out and cracking (even with lotion). I also have the busiest schedule by far--can being too busy make you sick?

So, what's going on? I remember a couple of years ago, I actually went two full years without ever getting sick. Am I just playing catch-up now? Still, is there anything I can do?

I take a multivitamin daily, and often Vitamin C and Echinacea. And at the first sign I start taking Airborne twice daily. Is there anything else I can or should be doing?

how much do you sleep, do you eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day? do you wash your hands frequently? these are all things than can affect your immune system.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Are you getting enough sleep?

Is your life particularly stressful right now?

Do you work odd hours?

Yes- being very busy and overworking can run down your immune system.
    Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 6-25-09. :) AND a beautiful baby boy born 6-14-11. :)

Baby # 2 forever missed lost 6-3-10.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
    Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
    ~author unknown

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat"
    ~ Malcolm Forbes

oh yes, being too busy and stressed can make you sick - especially associating with tons of people, all ripe conditions. i'd make some extra time to sleep, that will help out a lot.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Gold Member
    Well, I get nine hours of sleep per night (on average--sometimes less), but during the week when I'm not sleeping I'm constantly on the go. I'm also riding my bike to school at 7:30 in the morning, when it's still really, really cold.

And I typically snack on carrots, apples or apricots, and I try to include either spinach or frozen vegetables with most of my meals, although I certainly could improve this aspect.

Silver Member
    you know what. ive caught colds whenever ive moved to different places. perhaps you're being exposed to things you never were before. also have you considered allergies? are you being exposed to molds or anything?

what you have to remember is that colds not only travel through touch but through the air. if someone in your dance class is sick and sneezes and it hits your mucus membranes, you're typically done for, unless of course your immune system is tip top shape, which it isnt, apparently. also..bike riding is good, but remember if its freezing out your body has to work that much harder to keep warm, perhaps stealing the attention away from fighting germs!

what i suggest is GARLIC. eat raw garlic every day of your life. include it in everything. think 2-3 cloves a day. also drink as much green tea as you can handle..everyday. also, if you really care, you can flush out your sinuses everyday.. (i.e. netipot)... also.. if you happen upon a healthfood store.. stock up on OLIVE LEAF. take it everyday.

Platinum Member
    You might have an underlying condition weakening immune system...getting sick every 2 months is not only very unusual, it gets in the way of your life. Get thee to a doctor!

Gold Member
    I have always had a week immune system, which was made evenn worse by having my tonsils out when i was little. So for me its not unusual to feel run down and little bit poorly every two months or so. Doctor doesnt do anything: colds and things like that are virus's and nothing can be done about them. But it mite be worth going once to get yourself checked out and make sure everythings ok.

Also stop taking the eccinacia all the time (if thats what ur doing with ur multivitamins every morning) because your only supposed to take eccinacia when you feel like a colds coming on...taking it for too long reduces its effectivenes.

Also sounds like ur eating very healthy, are u sure u need the extra vitamin supplement? Getting too much of a vitamin or iron etc can be bad for you also.

Try going without taking any supplements for a month completely, and keeping with a heathly diet and see where that gets you x

sounds like you might have allergies to your new surroundings. you aren't technically getting sick.
    Not only am I friendly, but I'm invisible too.
    Too perfect of a relationship is too weird-g69
    If you say you are normal, I'd think you are weird-g69
    The world can only get better, it depends on how you look at it-g69
    'As wicked as you are, you're beautiful to me'-5fingerdeathpunch
    you cannot control the world, you can only live in it the best you can for you-g69

NooOoOoooOOoOoOoooooo

Gold Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

I've been to the doctor, and as far as I know there's nothing wrong with me. I should also add that my colds don't typically last very long at all.

I might sometimes interpret allergies as a cold, admittedly. Although that's not always the case. I live in one of the worst areas in California for allergies, however the place I just moved from was supposedly even worse, but I got sick less.

Anyways, I usually only take echinacea when I feel like I'm getting sick (which has been somewhat frequently, lately). But I will continue to rest up, eat healthy, and we'll see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...